Retarded Beyond Words: How The Hell Do I Access Safe Mode?!

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

Cyrus
Trooper

Retarded Beyond Words: How The Hell Do I Access Safe Mode?!

Post by Cyrus »

That's right, I have no clue how to access safe mode with this motherboard. It's not F8 as it should be or any other key for that matter (a combo of keys perhaps?). It is an Asus K8N-E Deluxe mobo, the option for safe mode only seems to appear if windows fails to boot but I need to know how to access it normally. Google seems to offer no results and it says nothing about safe mode in it's manual. Would anyone happen to know the answer to the mystery?
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

go to run and type in MSCONFIG then choose safe mode and hit apply then reboot.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Or press F8 (usually) during boot.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
PHoNyMiKe
Retrosexual

Post by PHoNyMiKe »

yeah, the F8 option is a windows thing. when your mobo is done post'ing, start pressing F8 rapidly. that's how it works for me. otherwise maybe try a different keyboard.
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=phonymike]ultimate immortality[/url]
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,zsnes,white,purple.png[/img][/url]
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

Try Delete, F1 or Esc. In my PC is the Delete key.
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
Firon
Trooper

Post by Firon »

That's to get in the motherboard's menu. He wants to get into the Windows Safe mode.
Just hammer F8 after you hear the beep, or something. It'll come up.
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

Put a non-bootable floppy disk in, assuming you even have a floppy drive. When the non-system disk message pops up, pop out the disk and hit F8 a bunch of times.

You can also force it to give you the boot menu. Go to System Properties --> Advanced tab --> Startup and Recovery and check the "show list of operating systems" box. Then you just have to hit F8 to get the option menu.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

Firon wrote:That's to get in the motherboard's menu. He wants to get into the Windows Safe mode.
Just hammer F8 after you hear the beep, or something. It'll come up.
It can be done from the BIOS. I had done it before! *Edit* I tested and It can't be done from the BIOS. I confuse that with fail-safe mode from AMIBIOS.
Last edited by Neo Kaiser on Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
PHoNyMiKe
Retrosexual

Post by PHoNyMiKe »

name 1 motherboard that can tell windows to start in safe mode. that's just silly!
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=phonymike]ultimate immortality[/url]
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,zsnes,white,purple.png[/img][/url]
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

In msconfig check Diagnostic Startup. Is this the Safe Mode?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

That doesn't quite qualify as Safe Mode I think. Safe Mode is either forced by F8 past the BIOS, but before the OS starts booting.. and/or when the OS determines it can't be booted normally and it starts into Safe Mode.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Neo Kaiser wrote:In msconfig check Diagnostic Startup. Is this the Safe Mode?
my bad, thats what i meant... im sure in earlier windows it WAS called safe mode there.... for everyone else the F8 menu will not show the boot to safe mode option o_O. (he even states so in his original post)
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

Thanks for all the replies guys and indeed the right answer was there. My motherboard has a separate options menu window pop up by pressing F8 which means I can't just spam F8 to access the windows safe mode options. I have to press it within the 1/1000th of a second it has during bootup.

I would have replied sooner but I was having some OS woes. My motherboard drivers took a shit all over Vista Ultimate (and it was all shiney too :() and XP Pro x64. Installing the motherboard drivers called "Windows XP Pro 64bit Drivers" from the mobo driver CD doesn't work in windows XP Pro 64bit edition... fucking Asus does it again. So I did what I wanted and got a fresh install (defragmenting this hard drive takes about 7 hojillion years) but I'm back to using plain old 32bit XP Pro.

On a side note, Vista installs in only a few minutes (15 or so), that's amazing compared to the hour XP Pro takes.
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

if you had an interactive boot loader, hitting f8 gets easier.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

Just *hold* the F8 button all the time,no need to do 'button mashing' :)
whicker
Trooper

Post by whicker »

kick wrote:Just *hold* the F8 button all the time,no need to do 'button mashing' :)
keyboard error: stuck key
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

Cyrus wrote:Thanks for all the replies guys and indeed the right answer was there. My motherboard has a separate options menu window pop up by pressing F8 which means I can't just spam F8 to access the windows safe mode options. I have to press it within the 1/1000th of a second it has during bootup.

I would have replied sooner but I was having some OS woes. My motherboard drivers took a shit all over Vista Ultimate (and it was all shiney too :() and XP Pro x64. Installing the motherboard drivers called "Windows XP Pro 64bit Drivers" from the mobo driver CD doesn't work in windows XP Pro 64bit edition... fucking Asus does it again. So I did what I wanted and got a fresh install (defragmenting this hard drive takes about 7 hojillion years) but I'm back to using plain old 32bit XP Pro.

On a side note, Vista installs in only a few minutes (15 or so), that's amazing compared to the hour XP Pro takes.
I've encountered those boards too. F8 brings up a menu asking what drive to boot to. This actually makes it easier to hit the window of opportunity. Simply select the hard drive and start tapping F8 again immediately after you hit the Enter key. It's the bootloader on the hard drive that responds to F8 to give you the safe mode option, so you know to start pressing F8 as soon as you dismiss that boot select menu from your BIOS.
Need a new sig...