(old) ZMV to AVI video conversion [[archive me]]

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Welcome to page 17.

To record a video you need one of the latest work in progress builds of ZSNES. Get them here: http://zsnes.ipherswipsite.com/

You will need a copy of mencoder. For Windows users, I recommend getting mencoder here: http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php
Place mencoder.exe in the same location as zsnesw.exe, you do not need any codecs or other movie programs installed.
Linux users, having mencoder in your path is fine.

If you want to compress the outputted audio, or compress it before it goes into the video as opposed to during, you will need a copy of LAME.
If you use Windows, you must get LAME from here: http://geocities.com/joecool22us/lame.zip
Any other copy of LAME for Windows will not work due to a bug in LAME.

Before you are able to dump an AVI, you must have recorded a movie first, it converts movies, it does not just dump video on the fly.

To play back movies, you'll either need the proper codecs or a video player with built in decoding of the video mode you selected.
I recommend getting mplayer which decodes anything created with mencoder. For Windows, you can get mplayer here: http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php You can download the GUI version.

Advanced users can edit zmovie.cfg and tweak the settings if they want, and even use something other than mencoder and LAME as long as it supports encoding via stdin and you set it up properly.

________
Esrhan wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:Adding filters+increasing screen res increases the file size. Not only that, the requirements for playing it back increase exponentially to the point of unplayability.
That is quite obvious but like I mentioned I am not new at this field. File size is irrelevant and my computer is more than adequate to handle what I desire. Of course I intend to edit the lossless video file with Adobe Premiere Pro and re-encode it to a more friendly-user format afterwards. But yes, the lossless, filtered .avi will be quite heavy dutieish.

I ask again is such an option available?
Yes, but you have to know params mencoder takes to change it. You will have to edit zmovie.cfg and figure this out. I know someone else can better help you on this.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
dissociative
Rookie

Post by dissociative »

Is there a way for setting up the output framerate in the zmv to .avi conversion? i.e. 30 fps
Esrhan

Post by Esrhan »

spambot wrote:Is there a way for setting up the output framerate in the zmv to .avi conversion? i.e. 30 fps
If the developers are too busy to answer, I guess you can always change that with other programs. Virtualdub, avisynth and a long list of other programs can do that on the avi file. The problem with that is that it's not a native framerate anymore after the conversion, and some problems always come out of that.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

There seem to be only tools that simply skip every other frame instead of merging them.
(Can avisynth do that?)
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Firon
Trooper

Post by Firon »

I think it's possible to blend frames using Avisynth.
Esrhan

Post by Esrhan »

Avisynth documentation:
The AssumeFPS filter changes the frame rate without changing the frame count.
ChangeFPS changes the frame rate by deleting or duplicating frames.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

ChangeFPS changes the frame rate by deleting or duplicating frames.
That's what I want to avoid.
The AssumeFPS filter changes the frame rate without changing the frame count.
Mmh. If I want to upload videos to YouTube, this "hack" probably won't survive the re-encoding. Their videos are played at 30 fps in all cases.

It seems that ConvertFPS might be able to do the conversion...
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Esrhan

Post by Esrhan »

Hm, I guess the developers aren't around too much anymore?
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

Esrhan wrote:Hm, I guess the developers aren't around too much anymore?
From what I have seen they all post pretty regular around here, maybe just not in this topic. You see them most in the development forums.
dissociative
Rookie

Post by dissociative »

the "-ofps x" can change the output frame rate by dropping frames when converting zmv to avi but I guess that should be better to use some video blending filter instead, motion smoothness is lost by using this setting, since the raw source video stream runs at 59649/995 fps
Last edited by dissociative on Thu May 24, 2007 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kevin01SH

Post by Kevin01SH »

Im stuck, been reading this thread and others for hours and im about to give up. i have the video dumped to an .avi file but when i try to play it i dont see any video only sound. ive literally tried every codec package i can think of and nothing works. the original post says mplayer can play anything the mencoder does, but thats not the case with me. all i get is a green screen with mplayer. i know theres video its just not showing on any player with any codec. when i click on properties of the video this is what it says

Width 256 pixels
Height 224 pixels

Video

Frame Rate - 59 frames/second
Data Rate - 119kbps
Video Sample Size - 12 bit
Video Compression - XVID

am i recording it wrong? its gotta be something simple i just cant figure it out im a noob to all this. oh yeah, and when i highlight the video i can see a preview picture open up on the left hand side of the explorer window, so i know theres something there!
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

http://codecguide.com/

install the mega pack and tick everything to do with xvid.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
dissociative
Rookie

Post by dissociative »

Mmh. If I want to upload videos to YouTube, this "hack" probably won't survive the re-encoding. Their videos are played at 30 fps in all cases.
Not at all I have seen videos at 25 fps or even 1 fps in youtube
dissociative
Rookie

Post by dissociative »

I got this question while modding zmovie.cfg, why there's need to encode the audio using an external audio compresor like lame.exe which is provided here? why not use the mencoder mp3lame library instead to compress the audio? I think that there shouldn't be difference if the right settings are used, to avoid encoding the audio separately and multiplexing the encoded audio with the output video together

-audiofile "audio.wav" -oac mp3lame -lameopts vbr=4:q=5 should eqval to "-V5 --vbr-new" (in example)
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

spambot wrote:I got this question while modding zmovie.cfg, why there's need to encode the audio using an external audio compresor like lame.exe which is provided here? why not use the mencoder mp3lame library instead to compress the audio? I think that there shouldn't be difference if the right settings are used, to avoid encoding the audio separately and multiplexing the encoded audio with the output video together

-audiofile "audio.wav" -oac mp3lame -lameopts vbr=4:q=5 should eqval to "-V5 --vbr-new" (in example)
I requested this feature because it's necessary for people who don't have gigs free for uncompressed sound. This will NOT be removed.
The config file is powerful enough to allow you to dump uncompressed sound and compress it using mencoder on the fly if you so desire.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

grinvader wrote:
spambot wrote:I got this question while modding zmovie.cfg, why there's need to encode the audio using an external audio compresor like lame.exe which is provided here? why not use the mencoder mp3lame library instead to compress the audio? I think that there shouldn't be difference if the right settings are used, to avoid encoding the audio separately and multiplexing the encoded audio with the output video together

I requested this feature because it's necessary for people who don't have gigs free for uncompressed sound. This will NOT be removed.
The config file is powerful enough to allow you to dump uncompressed sound and compress it using mencoder on the fly if you so desire.
The LAME option also exists for people who want audio only. mencoder doesn't handle audio only, and people who want to record their audio to MP3s can use the LAME option.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Made this using default custom settings: http://nsrt.edgeemu.com/chunli_vs_shinakuma.avi

Looks pretty good, and is only ~52KB/s of video+audio.

Oh yeah, Speed+Agility can really beat pure strength.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Here's another one portraying a similar idea.
This one is a bit fuzzy though.

If there's a lot of movement per frame, you'll want to up the bit rate from the default 350 to 450.

http://nsrt.edgeemu.com/chunli_vs_mbison.avi

Edit:
Here's another for SF2T. Since this moves faster though, one needs a higher bitrate and/or more key frames.

http://nsrt.edgeemu.com/chunli_vs_mbison_turbo.avi

cant convert zmv to avi with mencoder what am I doing wrong

Post by justinrpg »

I open Mencoder with a zmv file, a "dos" screen appears then automatically disappears and no conversion happens. I downloaded this file:
mencoder-p3-svn-23404
Is that the right one?
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Re: cant convert zmv to avi with mencoder what am I doing wr

Post by Agozer »

justinrpg wrote:I open Mencoder with a zmv file, a "dos" screen appears then automatically disappears and no conversion happens. I downloaded this file:
mencoder-p3-svn-23404
Is that the right one?
It's a command line program. What did you expect, a fancy GUI? Did you pass any arguments to the program at all, besides a zmv file?
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
justinrpg
Rookie

can't!!! the program wont stay open

Post by justinrpg »

The program automatically closes 2 seconds after it opens. I can't type anything!!!!
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Re: can't!!! the program wont stay open

Post by Agozer »

justinrpg wrote:The program automatically closes 2 seconds after it opens. I can't type anything!!!!
Let me reiterate: You work with command line programs via the Command Prompt, NOT by double-clicking the executable.

Double-clicking the executable means that you are running the program without any parameters, forcing the program to run and immediately close because it doesn't get anything to work with.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
justinrpg
Rookie

what do I type in command promp I am new to it...

Post by justinrpg »

Is there a step by step walkthrough on what I type to convert zmv to avi. or can you type one up?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Re: cant convert zmv to avi with mencoder what am I doing wr

Post by Deathlike2 »

justinrpg wrote:I open Mencoder with a zmv file, a "dos" screen appears then automatically disappears and no conversion happens. I downloaded this file:
mencoder-p3-svn-23404
Is that the right one?
Mencoder does not do that conversion directly, you have to do it within ZSNES. The file you have download is only correct if you are using a Pentium 3 or better.
justinrpg wrote:Is there a step by step walkthrough on what I type to convert zmv to avi. or can you type one up?
It's not hard really. First off, put mencoder into the same folder ZSNES is in (for simplicity's sake). Then, you record a movie via the Movie menu (with the Record button obviously).. you then need to hit the Stop button when you are done recording (this is important so that your movie recording is finished). To start doing the ZMV->AVI conversion, go to the Dumping tab, make your selections and then click on the "Start" button for the dumping process to start.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Oni-Neoxes

Post by Oni-Neoxes »

What i don;t get what mencoder should I get,there is just a list of them on one page,I want to try and put my videos on youtube,anyone help on what things i need to download just to put my videos on youtube?