Save file lost for Super Mario RPG

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

catzzzvb

Save file lost for Super Mario RPG

Post by catzzzvb »

I had moved all the files for the ROM to a new folder (they were on my desktop) and tried to play Sm rpg, and it didn't have my save file.

I then tried to move all the files back to where they were when the save file showed up, but it didn't work.

Please help!

If it helps anyone, my ROM and .srm have the same names, and I am using the newest version of ZSNES.

P.S. I have no idea what a save state is, or much of anything else when it comes to ZSNES
SonGoku1905
Rookie

Re: Save file lost for Super Mario RPG

Post by SonGoku1905 »

catzzzvb wrote:I had moved all the files for the ROM to a new folder (they were on my desktop) and tried to play Sm rpg, and it didn't have my save file.

I then tried to move all the files back to where they were when the save file showed up, but it didn't work.

Please help!

If it helps anyone, my ROM and .srm have the same names, and I am using the newest version of ZSNES.

P.S. I have no idea what a save state is, or much of anything else when it comes to ZSNES
Make sure you set the save path to where the .srm file is by the menu
Config---Paths--Saves
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Make sure that ZSNES' save path points to the folder where you have the .srm file. (Config --> Paths)

Save states are files which contain the "state" of the emulator when the save state was made. Think of it as an instant save that you can make whenever you want regardless of where you are in the game.
In contrast, a SRAM save (.srm) is created when you save your game as you would when playing on the real console. (e.g. save points or automatic save of your progress after clearing a level, etc.)
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
catzzzvb

Post by catzzzvb »

Thanks for the save state explaination.

I made sure the save path thing was right (C:\Documents and Settings\Catzzzvb\Desktop), but it still won't show up. Should I put them i a folder?

This is very annoying....
Super Mario RPG The Legend Of The Seven Stars ROCKS MY SOCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

..\Desktop is a folder. Put a trailing backslash at the end of the path (..\Desktop\)

If that fails, do this: create a folder called ZSNES in your C: drive. Put ZSNES there as well as the rom and the SRAM file. Make sure that the rom filename and the SRAM filename matches. Edit the save path so it points to C:\ZSNES\

Load the game and see if your save pops up.
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
catzzzvb

Post by catzzzvb »

I think I am goign to scream.....

I tried both of those things. Neither worked.

Do you have any other ideas?

P.S. Is the ROM file .smc?
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

.smc is a ROM-file, yes.

Your .srm may have been overwritten somehow. Back up your .srm, save the game again and see if it loads correctly.
catzzzvb

Post by catzzzvb »

Hmmm... I can't save my game again... I had saved it last night and now I was trying to open it again.

would it help for me to upload the ROM and/or the .srm?
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Make sure that the save folder isn't Read-Only. Naturally, ZSNES can't create a .srm file if it can't write to the folder.

P.S. Uploading roms to this board earns you a swift ban.
Last edited by Agozer on Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
catzzzvb

Post by catzzzvb »

phew... thanks for the heads up!

I am trying your idea right now.

Can I upload .srm file?

P.S. It won't let me make it not read-only!!! When I change it, it goes right back....:(
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Yes. Use rapidshare or your own webspace, if you have one.
Agozer wrote:Naturally, zsnes (btw i'm too stupid to learn the name of the emulator) can't create a .srm file if it can't write to the folder.
lol
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

You ought to check SRAM Check+Save for SMRPG as well.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

creaothceann wrote:Yes. Use rapidshare or your own webspace, if you have one.
Agozer wrote:Naturally, zsnes (btw i'm too stupid to learn the name of the emulator) can't create a .srm file if it can't write to the folder.
lol
lollers

I made a mistake.
catzzzvb

Post by catzzzvb »

Thanks for the help guys!!

How do you do a Sram check thingy?

Here is the .srm

http://thenextstep.freehostia.com/SMrpg/
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

well, how do you quit zsnes? you have to exit zsnes properly else the savegame wont be saved.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

SRAM Check+Save is explained in the documentation - see Clement's sig.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
catzzzvb

Post by catzzzvb »

franpa wrote:well, how do you quit zsnes? you have to exit zsnes properly else the savegame wont be saved.
I quit ZSNES by using either the quit button in the menu, or the "X" in the corner.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Agozer wrote:Make sure that the save folder isn't Read-Only. Naturally, ZSNES can't create a .srm file if it can't write to the folder.
Pity MS won't fix that nasty little read-only folder bug. But since ZSNES is the only software on Earth it affects...
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

no, MS have a article on the read only attribute and how it works under windowsXP, ZSNES works fine under WindowsXP so it A) is not that attribute unless you really are trying to store whatever onto read only material or B) your computer hardware/software setup sux.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
catzzzvb

Post by catzzzvb »

funny that last bit...... My computer really does suc!! I am getting a new one in 2 days though... so, if I get my new comp, put my save file in a non-read only folder, and set the path, the game should load?
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Why don't you just leave the paths as they are (ie. blank), and store everything in the ROM directory?
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
catzzzvb

Post by catzzzvb »

well, whrn i downlaoded it, I put it on my desktop, and I really didn't want it there, then I moved it, and my problems started....
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

This is because you are very likely not admin and the properties of the folder has changed when you relocated the files. The desktop you use to store the files is almost always read/write capable, but not elsewhere.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...