IPCop

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

Bent
Lurker

IPCop

Post by Bent »

Has anyone ever used this? If so, what are your thoughts on it?
~Bent
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

I haven't used IPCop, but I've had a SmoothWall running at my parents' house for years and it works really well. It does seem like IPCop has more active development going on, though, while SmoothWall 3.0 has been in it's alpha stage for like 2 years.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
Bent
Lurker

Post by Bent »

Wow, no more experience/opinions on either of them? No one has used these?

My trusty old router died and I went and bought a new linksys. It drops connections all the time. I wanted to try something different, I never have any luck with consumer level routers. I wanted to see if this worked any better. Guess I will try it out.
~Bent
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

You should've bought a WRT54GL and install DD-WRT or OpenWRT on it.
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
Bent
Lurker

Post by Bent »

Noxious Ninja wrote:You should've bought a WRT54GL and install DD-WRT or OpenWRT on it.
I have one, but my girlfriend is using it right now. I have never installed the third party firmwares, are they any good?
~Bent
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

I don't have one, bu my uncle put DD-WRT on his, and he says it seems to be working better now. He wasn't really having disconnect problems before, though, so I don't know if your problem is hardware or not.
Bent
Lurker

Post by Bent »

Sorry, guess I should specify, my girlfriend is using my WRT54G (v3, before they took the linux based firmware off of that model, so it's the same as the current WRT54GL) and it works fine, no disconnect problems. Since I already have a professional level access point, I didn't need a wireless router, and was using an old Belkin router. It died, so I went and bought a Linksys BEFSR41, or something like that. That is the one that disconnects all the time.

I am surprised no one has experience with either of those firewall programs I mentioned, I figured soemone here must have used them so I asked about it. No big deal, I set SmoothWall up last night anyway and I'm going to try that for awhile, maybe trying IPCop in there as well. It seems to work pretty good and I'm not getting disconnected, so it's already much better.
~Bent
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

Ah, OK. For some reason I have Linksys == wireless associated in my head, even though I know they make wired products.