Save file conversion

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

tuntis

Save file conversion

Post by tuntis »

I've got this really big bunch of SNES roms with saves on probably every single game (they've been in use for years), but the problem is that they've been played with some real old version of zsnes.

I really don't want to go through every save with 1.42 to "convert" them, what should I do? :/
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

what type of saves? save states or sram saves? for save states you can try zsnes 1.51

sram saves are compatible with all versions, except maybe the very first public release ever =\
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

franpa wrote:sram saves are compatible with all versions, except maybe the very first public release ever =\
Why shouldn't it?
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

creaothceann wrote:
franpa wrote:sram saves are compatible with all versions, except maybe the very first public release ever =\
Why shouldn't it?
Completely random comments deserve completely random franpa alerts.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
SonGoku1905
Rookie

Post by SonGoku1905 »

Deathlike2 wrote:
creaothceann wrote:
Why shouldn't it?
Afaik, sram saves are completely not related to emulators, and created by the rom only. They can be exchanged and used in all builds and versions. You can take a sram created by a 3 year old snes9x and use it on zsnes 1.51 if you like. Isn't it ?
Noxious Ninja
Dark Wind

Post by Noxious Ninja »

Unless there was some horrible SRAM saving or loading bug in one of the versions.
[u][url=http://bash.org/?577451]#577451[/url][/u]
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

SonGoku1905 wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:
creaothceann wrote:
Why shouldn't it?
Afaik, sram saves are completely not related to emulators, and created by the rom only. They can be exchanged and used in all builds and versions. You can take a sram created by a 3 year old snes9x and use it on zsnes 1.51 if you like. Isn't it ?
I'd like to think people thought more about their responses, but I guess 2 for 2 stupidities today is one too many.

The ROM doesn't "create" the SRAM. The game tells what to modify and the emu (or the actual console) and does its job. Whether or not SRAM is properly created or properly read is a different issue, and I doubt emus (particular SNES emus) have had many (if any) issues dealing with SRAM. SRAM is not an emu specific thing (savestates are emu specific).
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

tuntis, as long as your save was made with 0.600 or after, it should play in 1.51 for the most part. Other wise, you'll need to use 1.42 to convert it. If there was a demand for it, I may make a stand alone convert program.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.