Cliches in video games (particularly in the 8-16bit era)

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

donkey kong
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
Snark
Trooper

Re: Cliches in video games (particularly in the 8-16bit era

Post by Snark »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
Snark wrote: The problem with nuke weapons (a-bombs and such) is that, while they cover large areas, ultimately they do limited damage... A well place punch (or whip attack) on the other hand, while more limited in range, is more powerful because all the energy is focused in a single area. Basic physics really.
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please, by all means provide some documented instances of a well-placed punch VAPORIZING something.
Hmmm....Ever heard of FIST OF THE NORTH STAR?

Seriously though, that was obviously my way of mocking video game "physics". That was only sarcasm.
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

Deathlike2 wrote:
SquareHead wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:
You don't have control of fate, it is destiny! The button overlord from above has control over your actions! Cookie to where I'm referencing this from.
Secret of Evermore? Crazy old man/seer in the bazaar?
Heh, I didn't think people would play a game as bad as SOE. Cookie for you.
Heh, I think SoE isn't as bad as people made it up to be. I think it's a good Secret of Mana clone (I'm assuming no one from SoM worked on Evermore)
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Snark wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:
SquareHead wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:
You don't have control of fate, it is destiny! The button overlord from above has control over your actions! Cookie to where I'm referencing this from.
Secret of Evermore? Crazy old man/seer in the bazaar?
Heh, I didn't think people would play a game as bad as SOE. Cookie for you.
Heh, I think SoE isn't as bad as people made it up to be. I think it's a good Secret of Mana clone (I'm assuming no one from SoM worked on Evermore)
It isn't completely horrible. It has deficencies like the "movie references" in the script and concepts that clearly need revising. (eg. weapons of the same type do not transfer weapon level or toaster dog keeps his attack levels constant throughout the whole game - if those two things were switched, it would have made some sense)
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

SoE is a wonderful little work of art that conveys a sense of, how should I put it, tangible space, that very few if any SNES games have ever accomplished (but if you know of any, please do tell!). Most areas just feel alive and real, even if it is fantasy, aided by little touches and details that you can see, and in large part by the audio. If I had to name one outstanding example of this, it would be the marketplace, but there are many others.

So yeah, other minor gameplay niggles be damned. Art, that's what it is.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

Snark wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:
Snark wrote: The problem with nuke weapons (a-bombs and such) is that, while they cover large areas, ultimately they do limited damage... A well place punch (or whip attack) on the other hand, while more limited in range, is more powerful because all the energy is focused in a single area. Basic physics really.

Please, by all means provide some documented instances of a well-placed punch VAPORIZING something.

Seriously though, that was obviously my way of mocking video game "physics". That was only sarcasm.
it wasn't obvious sarcasm. just obviously wrong. and it was very plausible that you meant what you said, if you're stick-to-it-ivness to "technical limitations" was any indicator.

and i think the girl that gets herself kidnapped wins
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

sweener2001 wrote:
Snark wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:

it wasn't obvious sarcasm. just obviously wrong. and it was very plausible that you meant what you said, if you're stick-to-it-ivness to "technical limitations" was any indicator.
Oh lord...I wanted to add a "sarcasm" disclaimer specifically to avoid such cases where people really think I'm being serious, but I voted against it before posting because always saying "this is sarcasm" kind of take away from the humor.

I'd say there's a difference between thinking (rightly or wrongly) that the silent character could have been sometimes caused by past technical limitations and thinking that a punch or whip attack is more powerful than a friggin' A-Bomb (something everyone realise cannot be)

So no, I didn't meant what I said about the Bomb. Was sarcasm.

Rarely ever a ransom request though.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Snark wrote:
sweener2001 wrote:
Snark wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:

Oh lord...I wanted to add a "sarcasm" disclaimer specifically to avoid such cases where people really think I'm being serious, but I voted against it before posting because always saying "this is sarcasm" kind of take away from the humor.

I'd say there's a difference between thinking (rightly or wrongly) that the silent character could have been sometimes caused by past technical limitations and thinking that a punch or whip attack is more powerful than a friggin' A-Bomb (something everyone realise cannot be)

So no, I didn't meant what I said about the Bomb. Was sarcasm.

Rarely ever a ransom request though.
The sarcasm needs more work. Besides, I don't see how one would ever be able to pay the ransom.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

Spikes and lava are overrepresented in video games.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Johan_Hanberg wrote:Spikes and lava are overrepresented in video games.
Perhaps, but consider this:

1) You want to walk on those things, because you can. :twisted:

or

2) In real life, you would be dead or be really really hurt attempting either.
Boksha
Rookie

Post by Boksha »

So is painful death-doom in general. :P
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Hmm... common to many game genres:

The evil dood is always in some remote place (about 6 miles after the end of the world), in a structure of badass proportions, doing the scheming and all, and yet has a perfectly accessible path to it, usually including any keys that are needed to open whatever lock is there.
Why trust keys to your henchmen when they're obviously weaker than you ?

Basically, even the worst bosses are too friggin nice, they keep giving you means to reach them.
Other example - in Metroid Fusion, at one moment the X sabotage the main boiler, which would make the station explode (oops). So you go there and fix it. Cool. I always wondered why (at least) one SA-X wasn't in there.
I mean, wtf ? They had a perfect bait to lead you where they wanted, and no deathtrap ? Moronblobs.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
MisterJones
Trooper

Post by MisterJones »

grinvader wrote:The evil dood is always in some remote place (about 6 miles after the end of the world), in a structure of badass proportions, doing the scheming and all, and yet has a perfectly accessible path to it, usually including any keys that are needed to open whatever lock is there.
Why trust keys to your henchmen when they're obviously weaker than you ?
Because then the main villain would become a janitor.

HENCHMAN: Boss, I need access to the basement! Could you open it, please?
BOSS: Ugh, there we go again. Why don't I give some copies of the keys to them?

grinvader wrote:Basically, even the worst bosses are too friggin nice, they keep giving you means to reach them.
Other example - in Metroid Fusion, at one moment the X sabotage the main boiler, which would make the station explode (oops). So you go there and fix it. Cool. I always wondered why (at least) one SA-X wasn't in there.
I mean, wtf ? They had a perfect bait to lead you where they wanted, and no deathtrap ? Moronblobs.
My understanding of the x-virus is that they are not exactly hive minded. Their intelligence spawned from the assimilation with humans and other intelligent beings, but that such intelligence was not shared by everyone - only those specific organisms that assimilated/replicated humans and such. The intelligence may have been shared later on through offsprings, which is why later on their plans became more cunning. It was already too late from them, though.

Then again,such explanation was probably gioven as a cheap device to make it eventually harder.
_-|-_
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

Do you have a mortal wound or just a average case of poisoning? Or maybe you are already death? No problem! We have a special offer for you! We present you with a magical bed who cures every condition in existence! Yes a very comfortable bed with a very powerful magical mattress that will stop you from bleeding to death! But wait you order now and will include the memory pillow who will save every progress you make in your life! Now available in a INN next to you!!!
Last edited by Neo Kaiser on Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

Deathlike2 wrote:

And even if they are normally lethal, you can simply take damages moments before you land on them, granting you temporary invincibility.

As we all know this work just as well in real life. If you're about to get blown to bits by a grenade or something, punch yourself in the face. The temporary invincibility induced by the damage might very well save you. Watch out for the timing though.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Snark wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:

And even if they are normally lethal, you can simply take damages moments before you land on them, granting you temporary invincibility.

As we all know this work just as well in real life. If you're about to get blown to bits by a grenade or something, punch yourself in the face. The temporary invincibility induced by the damage might very well save you. Watch out for the timing though.
Stupid Robot Masters.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

sweener2001 wrote: Or the fact that writing in inane speech was beyond pointless and a waste of the developer's time. NPC's are still like that today. Aside from having a few more topics to discuss (and only really in DnD cRPGs), NPC's do nothing but repeat the same thing over and over again. played FFX recently? and i find it funny that every single NPC has the exact same thing to say about the same topics in Morrowind.

your point doesn't demonstrate anything about space being an issue for protagonist speech at all. it's purely artistic. end of story.
to play the devil's advocate, there are more games now making a greater use of NPCs for the main bulk of the storytelling. Take Shenmue for example, each NPC had a complicated day schedule, they had 4 or more lines when you talked to them, and they were all voiced (uncommon for the time) and they changed every time you got a new clue, or as time went on. They were required to interact with to experience the game, so lets not be too one sided here.

oh yeah, Deathlike... what did Evermore ever do to you man!
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

different kind of game, but there's also always an exception. notice that new conversation had to be triggered by events. it's not too different.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

I admit it still follows a form, but it's a pretty fundamental part of the game, and appears dynamic.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
Mark57Raider
Regular

Post by Mark57Raider »

Saving your maiden or somebody else has always been a big cliche' in the 8-16 bit era, especially Mario, Donkey Kong, Sky Blazer, Super Adventure Island and Castlevania. That's one of the major cliche's in video games.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

that goes further than videogames my friend, in fact several of these do. How about little boxes or bricks scattered over the world or plants with helpful items in them. What are the bricks for? furthermore how everyone lets you utterly ransack their houses without a bit of resistance. This only makes sense in games where you are a thief, or intimidating enough that no one would want to stand up to you.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Mark57Raider wrote:Saving your maiden or somebody else has always been a big cliche' in the 8-16 bit era, especially Mario, Donkey Kong, Sky Blazer, Super Adventure Island and Castlevania. That's one of the major cliche's in video games.
Booty: The only good reason to fight against a firebreathing spíked shelled giant turtle dragon and his army of turtles, mutant mushrooms and bullets with eyes.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Mark57Raider
Regular

Post by Mark57Raider »

haha. Don't forget turtles that throw hammers, overgrown man eater plants, cowardly cloud hovering koopas that are too scared to get a piece of you from right below, spiked shells and pink snapping flowers.
Mark57Raider
Regular

Post by Mark57Raider »

Neo Kaiser wrote:Do you have a mortal wound or just a average case of poisoning? Or maybe you are already death? No problem! We have a special offer for you! We present you with a magical bed who cures every condition in existence! Yes a very comfortable bed with a very powerful magical mattress that will stop you from bleeding to death! But wait you order now and will include the memory pillow who will save every progress you make in your life! Now available in a INN next to you!!!
hahahahaha
PHoNyMiKe
Retrosexual

Post by PHoNyMiKe »

cliches huh? did anyone mention the fact that video games like mario bros, megaman, and even duck tales take place above and endless sky? yeah, the world has a bunch of pits you gotta jump over, and if you fall in one, you drop off the world and die. what kind of world has such holes that you fall in and die?
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=phonymike]ultimate immortality[/url]
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,zsnes,white,purple.png[/img][/url]