Nintendo Acquires Xenosaga Developer

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

MisterJones wrote:
Panzer88 wrote:
Joe Camacho wrote:
Neo Kaiser wrote:For most people SE ended with Chrono Trigger.
Ah.. The merger happened LONG AFTER Chrono Trigger.
in fact, Chrono Trigger was the only time the two sides had cooperating forces before the merger, yes?
I don't see how this statement is a fact.
I guess he is talking about how Toriyama, that also draws for the Dragon Quest series, drew for the CT characters.

But that would imply that Toriyama worked exclusively for Enix, which wasn't true. I think.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Square_Co.,_Ltd.

CT was out in 1995.

SquareEnix was the name in 2002.

Neo Kaiser is in a 7 year time-space distortion.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

Except I was not talking about when the company was absorbed or whatever
but when people think that they stop to make excellent games. For them the good stuff ended with Chrono Trigger. That's what I tried to say but I failed to clarify it.
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

Joe Camacho wrote:
MisterJones wrote:
Panzer88 wrote:
Joe Camacho wrote:
in fact, Chrono Trigger was the only time the two sides had cooperating forces before the merger, yes?
I guess he is talking about how Toriyama, that also draws for the Dragon Quest series, drew for the CT characters.

But that would imply that Toriyama worked exclusively for Enix, which wasn't true. I think.
Uh... I don't know how you missed this, but Yuuji Horii was in the development team.

it was seen over by the creators of both Final Fantasy and Dragon quest. It was published by squaresoft, but Yuuji Horii was involved in bringing together the general plot, and also came up with the time travel concept which is the heart of the game.

that and the art was very Dragon Quest-esque.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Panzer88 wrote:
Joe Camacho wrote:
MisterJones wrote:
Panzer88 wrote:
Joe Camacho wrote:

Uh... I don't know how you missed this, but Yuuji Horii was in the development team.

it was seen over by the creators of both Final Fantasy and Dragon quest. It was published by squaresoft, but Yuuji Horii was involved in bringing together the general plot, and also came up with the time travel concept which is the heart of the game.

Maybe because I'm not an JRPG fanboy. But whatever, that doesn't mean Square and Enix worked together.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
MisterJones
Trooper

Post by MisterJones »

Panzer88 wrote:Uh... I don't know how you missed this, but Yuuji Horii was in the development team.

That's like saying any work Miyamoto does with any other company is a collaborative work with Nintendo.

The art looks like DQ because Toriyama was involved. You could say it is Dr. Slump-esque too.
_-|-_
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

I take who "MADE" a game by who was involved in developing it, same as who directed a film. who published something has no bearing on the content inside a game, that's like saying I like 20th century fox films.

This is what bothers me when people say they like a publisher, whether it be Square-Enix, or Nintendo or whoever when they really have absolutely no idea who was involved in developing the game.

I'm aware that the art is Toriyama's look, but even he has variations between his work, I wouldn't say Dragon Ball or Dragon Quest look anything alike to a discerning eye.

As for the Miyamoto comment, I wouldn't say that if he oversaw a project that it would be Nintendo or even a Miyamoto game, but if he was heavily involved in development, chances are he used resources from Nintendo.

I do see your point though, as good ole Yuuji Horii isn't even a part of Enix, but of Armor Project, but I think things were different back then, yes?
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
Demios
"Flametongue"

Post by Demios »

Panzer88 wrote:I'm aware that the art is Toriyama's look, but even he has variations between his work, I wouldn't say Dragon Ball or Dragon Quest look anything alike to a discerning eye.
Nothing you said, mattered after that line.
[img]http://demios.whattheboat.com/userbar/random.jpeg[/img]
clessoulis
Regular

Post by clessoulis »

The enix side of square enix still makes good games. So how did the merger kill square? Square started sucking long before the merger by themselves. The only good thing out of Square Enix has been enix games like DQ8 and Valkryie Profile Simera(sp).
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

I think that tri-Ace is jumping to Microsoft studio but I hope that it never happen. They are developing a game with M$ Studio called Infinite Undiscovery.
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
Jikmo
Hazed

Post by Jikmo »

Panzer88 wrote:I'm aware that the art is Toriyama's look, but even he has variations between his work, I wouldn't say Dragon Ball or Dragon Quest look anything alike to a discerning eye.
Have you seen Dragon Quest VIII? The artwork looks exactly like Dragon Ball (and everyone I know who sees DQ8 says that)
[quote="The Sage Of Time"]You're a cruel and terrible person.
Don't ever change.[/quote]
I don't think I've ever felt so touched before in my life
casualsax3
Veteran

Post by casualsax3 »

As much of a fan of Toriyama as I am, there is no denying that a lot of his characters look similar. Case in point - Goku and Chrono:
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Jikmo wrote:
Have you seen Dragon Quest VIII? The artwork looks exactly like Dragon Ball (and everyone I know who sees DQ8 says that)
Every time I think about DQVII, all I can imagine is Dragon Ball. (The characters that is.)
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
MisterJones
Trooper

Post by MisterJones »

I also love toriyama, but denying the style is the same on all his works (and consequently Bird Studio's work as well) is being such a fucking idiot.

This excludes his Kazenban covers, which are fuckawesome. Old piccolo daimaoh looks fucking baddasssssssssssss
_-|-_
Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

The fact that Toriyama's characters look the same gives whatever he works on a certain nostalgic charm. The sytle is distinctly recognizable and there are millions of fans (of various things) who are familiar with it which is one of the reasons why they keep calling Toriyama back.
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

Panzer88 wrote: straight down the shit shoot.
"chute"
Need a new sig...
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

well back to the original statement, i think it's pretty evident that the Dragon Quest developers had a huge hand in Chrono Trigger, not just the people from Square.