SPC Players

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

Panzer88
Inmate

SPC Players

Post by Panzer88 »

are any of the SPC players updating to more accurate sound i.e. blarggs sound core etc.?
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

blargg's spc player perhaps?
or the ZSNES spc player which will use it?
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by franpa »

is this the latest? http://slack.net/~ant/libs/audio.html

how do i compile it oO?
edit: is ZSNES getting a new SPC player included with it?
edit: do we just use foobar?
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
tetsuo55
Regular

Post by tetsuo55 »

Blargg's player seems to have been updated about 6 months ago, that was before all the new sound core data was collected, so i guess we will have to wait.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

yes, I meant after the big updates. I guess it'll all be released pretty much across the board then I'm assuming. in the emulators, spc players etc.

Thanks for your help.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
blargg
Regular

Post by blargg »

Yep, I haven't updated Game_Music_Emu yet. It's my next task after I get some compression libraries finished. Since zsnes has my latest code, maybe it'll be the first with a really accurate SPC player. :)
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

really looking forward to it, thanks for your HUGE contribution to sound emulation
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

how do we compile the SPC player included with ZSNES? or is it still not finished?
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

http://nsrt.edgeemu.com/playspc.tar.gz

I can't say the Direct Sound code is very good.
Windows and Linux versions included.
Note, you want to use proper SPCs with this, not junk with hacked headers and what not people are passing around online.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Panzer88 »

what about stuff found here?

http://snesmusic.org/v2/
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Panzer88 wrote:what about stuff found here?

http://snesmusic.org/v2/
I'm not going to vouch for anything you find online. Try stuff yourself.

If you dumped it properly with ZSNES, it should work fine. If people online hacked the thing up and posted it somewhere, good luck.

Post by franpa »

is there support for compressed SPC packages? IE: like snesamp and RSN files... and i just drag and drop SPC files onto it right?
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

franpa wrote:is there support for compressed SPC packages? IE: like snesamp and RSN files... and i just drag and drop SPC files onto it right?
Nach wrote:Try stuff yourself.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

awesome jeje, wasn't expecting how it closes and reopens itself when you start another song from file association xD (oh maybe just i was playing a song that didnt loop :P )

sounds just as good (if not better then) snesamp :)

edit: feature requests...

A) show the file name of the song playing as well.
B) make it check if a copy is already running and if it is then close that copy and start a new copy.
blargg
Regular

Post by blargg »

I'll see about sending a quick update to kode54 for integration into foo_gep, unless there's some other GME-based SPC player people use more.

I don't notice any significant difference between the new accurate core and the old one or other players for most songs. One noticeable "improvement" in the new core is the clicks in Donkey Kong Country's Fear Factory (click at 0:41) and Cave Dweller Concert (click at 1:11). Nobody said more accurate emulation was always better. :)
Last edited by blargg on Mon May 14, 2007 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
tetsuo55
Regular

Post by tetsuo55 »

Blargg, on a side note, how are your pal timing tests and possibly a pal filter coming along?
Blasingame
Hazed

Post by Blasingame »

In the new release of Winamp, there are problems with the wrapping of SPCs if you are using SPCamp. the fix for this is found here: http://nunzioweb.com/daz/game_emulation ... n_v0_4.exe
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

blargg wrote:I'll see about sending a quick update to kode54 for integration into foo_gep, unless there's some other GME-based SPC player people use more.

I don't notice any significant difference between the new accurate core and the old one or other players for most songs. One noticeable "improvement" in the new core is the clicks in Donkey Kong Country's Fear Factory (click at 0:41) and Cave Dweller Concert (click at 1:11).
yeah, it's just nice to know that you won't be running into any of that, for the longest time I never realized that the sound in Final Fantasy VI wasn't how it was supposed to sound because I had never played the original game.

anyhow, thanks again.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

oO it worked fine then i thought you might have sneaked a update in without speaking... and yes the file sizes are different but now when you click the X to quit it crashes with a memory error.

edit: ctrl C also causes it to crash.

Code: Select all

the instruction at '0x0040175d' referenced memory at '0x00a04d10'. the memory could not be 'read'

click ok to terminate the program
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

Do you have an interface design for this SPC Player?

I hope your player will have visual hardware status such as Super Jukebox. Aside from SPCTool, it's the only player that does this that I can think of and it's damn cool. I've actually even used it as crude, easy debugging for some SPC700/DSP work I did.

If you're changing the SPC file format and only your player will play it(to start anyway). You'll want to do all you can to eliminate reasons people may want to stay with the old players and format. And then of course, you'll probably want to give reason to upgrade.

Because the file format was messy doesn't hold much weight with the masses I'm sure.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Nightcrawler wrote:Because the file format was messy doesn't hold much weight with the masses I'm sure.
Would be fine with me though. >_<
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

yes, unfortunately we aren't the majority
blargg
Regular

Post by blargg »

Audacious Media Player has the new SPC sound core in the audacious-plugins SVN (not the main audacious SVN).
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

will the crash issue be resolved any time soon?
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Blasingame wrote:In the new release of Winamp, there are problems with the wrapping of SPCs if you are using SPCamp. the fix for this is found here: http://nunzioweb.com/daz/game_emulation ... n_v0_4.exe
what do you mean the wrapping of SPC's?

edit: woulda been better if you linked to http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php ... id=1873455 instead of just a direct link to the EXE file.