Nestopia 1.39

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

I'm pretty sure all 17 and 19 inch lcds are square pixels. And I don't think anyone with a crt would be running at a 5:4 resolution when it is physically 4:3. They shouldn't be, at least.

5:4 17 and 19inch lcd monitors has to be one of the stupidest manufacturing deviations in the history of computers.
www.zapatabase.com
Marty
Nestopia Developer
Nestopia Developer

Post by Marty »

Deathlike2 wrote: I'm not exactly clear on this, but why is 288 used for the TV aspect ? Shouldn't it be 298 instead? (298x224 is closest to 4:3 as possible).. unless I'm missing something here...
I picked 288 (112.5%) because it gave the best look with least amount of scaling artifacts.
byuu

Post by byuu »

FitzRoy wrote:I'm pretty sure all 17 and 19 inch lcds are square pixels. And I don't think anyone with a crt would be running at a 5:4 resolution when it is physically 4:3. They shouldn't be, at least.
And yet, 1280x1024 is extremely popular amongst 4:3 CRT monitor owners :(

In fact, my default install of FreeBSD 6.1 can't even handle 1280x960. No definitions for it, so I'm forced to use 1152x864, as I personally can't stand non-square pixels.
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

Hey byuu, for bsnes, I use a custom res mode 1110x1024, with the emulation set to 4x (1024x896) on my 19inc LCD. The result is a 4:3 image that retains smooth-looking scanlines and has small black border on all sides. I've tried just making a full-screen 1024x896 mode on my LCD, but the scanlines come out slightly uneven in appearance (due to the native LCD virtical res of 1024).
sinamas
Gambatte Developer
Gambatte Developer

Post by sinamas »

byuu wrote:In fact, my default install of FreeBSD 6.1 can't even handle 1280x960. No definitions for it, so I'm forced to use 1152x864, as I personally can't stand non-square pixels.
That should be easily fixed with a modeline (use gtf).

I'd consider non-square pixels a bug on the user end, not something to work around in bsnes.
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

1.35 out. Changelog on homepage. :)

http://nestopia.sf.net
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

1.36 is out! This IMO the best emulator for NES. (Thread necromancy guilt.)
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Neo Kaiser wrote:1.36 is out! This IMO the best emulator for NES. (Thread necromancy guilt.)
Yeah, another great release.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

These emulator will reach a phase where it won't be necessary to update it more than 1 time in a year
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I kinda doubt it. NES emulation is not as close as Genesis emulation since there are so many damned mappers to deal with.... especially when there so many multi-game carts... :?
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

there seem to be more active NES emulators than Genesis Emulators now too. Gens32 Surreal is the only Genesis emulator that has updated in awhile.

Nestopia is by far my favorite NES emu, and has been for awhile, but Fakenes is having a comeback, and Nintendulator is nice for certain things too.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

New Linux version available:

http://rbelmont.mameworld.info/?p=194
Cool_Hylian
Rookie

Post by Cool_Hylian »

Mario will be pleased :P
Hyrule is cool.
SonGoku1905
Rookie

Post by SonGoku1905 »

1.36 seemed to be a good release , but i was disappointed with the 2xSai filters going bye bye. For some reason I liked them more than hqx filters on nes emualtion, which make simple images 'too sharp' and disturbing in my opinion. I think I'll stick with 1.35 for now.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

2xSai is one of my favorite filters as well. I still prefer it in ZSNES as well. I agree completely. hqxx filters make things a bit too sharp and unnatural looking to me. 2xSai is a step up from simple blurry interpolation that is a happy medium.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
Cool_Hylian
Rookie

Post by Cool_Hylian »

I miss Scan Lines :cry:
Hyrule is cool.
ShadowFX
Regular

Post by ShadowFX »

I have already attempted a request to put the 2xSai filters back in for future versions on their forums. I surely hope the author reconsiders eventually.
[i]"Change is inevitable; progress is optional"[/i]
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

1.37 was released earlier today. New mappers, some netplay fixes and enhancements, and a new movie recording format among other things. :) A new Linux version was released as well.

http://nestopia.sf.net
http://rbelmont.mameworld.info/?page_id=200
alexz721
Regular

Post by alexz721 »

Christ, I just updated to 1.36 not five hours ago.
HOW ARE YOU MERRY GENTLEMEN
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

EMu-LoRd wrote:I have already attempted a request to put the 2xSai filters back in for future versions on their forums. I surely hope the author reconsiders eventually.
Apparently, it is a no go there.

Go figure... some time was spent in fixing some of the 2xSAI code in ZSNES, and fixed its use in DOS.. plus merging it (to avoid code duplication).

What do I know though? :?
Last edited by Deathlike2 on Tue May 22, 2007 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

someone needs to update the topic title
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
ShadowFX
Regular

Post by ShadowFX »

Deathlike2 wrote:
EMu-LoRd wrote:I have already attempted a request to put the 2xSai filters back in for future versions on their forums. I surely hope the author reconsiders eventually.

Go figure... some time was spent in fixing some of the 2xSAI code in ZSNES, and fixed its use in DOS.. plus merging it (to avoid code duplication).

Yeah, it's a real shame...
[i]"Change is inevitable; progress is optional"[/i]
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

EMu-LoRd wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:

Yeah, it's a real shame...
Nestopia isn't the only modern emulator that doesn't support the 2xSaI filter. Mednafen only supports the HQX, ScaleX, and NTSC filters. And if I remember correctly, bsnes didn't support it either. I suppose emulator authors think it is cumbersome to support it since it is getting old, doesn't have any 3x or 4x variants, and isn't as popular as the newer filters.

Anyway, Nestopia is open source. Maybe someone will be able to diff the 1.35 and 1.36 sources and re-add it?
byuu

Post by byuu »

xamenus wrote:Nestopia isn't the only modern emulator that doesn't support the 2xSaI filter. Mednafen only supports the HQX, ScaleX, and NTSC filters. And if I remember correctly, bsnes didn't support it either. I suppose emulator authors think it is cumbersome to support it since it is getting old, doesn't have any 3x or 4x variants, and isn't as popular as the newer filters.
2xSaI isn't much faster than HQ2x, and is of significantly lower quality. The source code is also licensed under GPL, so I won't touch it with a ten foot pole. That may be why it isn't in some of the other emulators. HQ2x, on the other hand, is LGPL for the C variants.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

byuu wrote:
xamenus wrote:Nestopia isn't the only modern emulator that doesn't support the 2xSaI filter. Mednafen only supports the HQX, ScaleX, and NTSC filters. And if I remember correctly, bsnes didn't support it either. I suppose emulator authors think it is cumbersome to support it since it is getting old, doesn't have any 3x or 4x variants, and isn't as popular as the newer filters.
2xSaI isn't much faster than HQ2x, and is of significantly lower quality. The source code is also licensed under GPL, so I won't touch it with a ten foot pole. That may be why it isn't in some of the other emulators. HQ2x, on the other hand, is LGPL for the C variants.
That is solely your opinion. I have gone on record as preferring 2xSAI to HQ2x in most cases both are offered. It just looks visually better to ME. You can't say that any filter is 'lower quality' than another. It's a matter of personal preference.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.