ZSNES ports 2007 userbase choices

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Which port of ZSNES are you using most ?

DOS (native)
3%
DOS (under win9x)
3%
Windows (under win9x)
6%
Windows (under winNT)
75%
SDL (any)
13%

Total votes: 63

grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

ZSNES ports 2007 userbase choices

Post by grinvader »

It's that time again, choose which port you use most. As an extra, you can mention in a post if you have anything against ZSNES losing its DOS port and/or win9x compatibility.

BTW: to preempt silly stuff - we're talking about ZSNES itself, not some sort of portjob on consoles that shall remain nameless (yet hueg).

Vote away !
Last edited by grinvader on Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
muxum

Post by muxum »

vmware + any linux live cd should solve lacking win9x ;)
although i dunno if that would work

as for dos hmm...
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

dos needs to go

however keep windows 98se compatability for now

ps: I use the windows port most often these days, believe it or not
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

move forward, and leave those left behind to the wolves.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

DOS can go. I say keep the 9x compatibility for now, unless it starts to introduce problems in some way.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
byuu

Post by byuu »

I'm stuck with DOS v1.42 anyway, since v1.51's debugger is not completed yet. So it doesn't much matter to me personally if DOS is killed off in the future.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

DOS can sure be left behind, but I guess keeping Win9x is needed.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

Even when I first used ZSNES roughly five years ago, my PC was fast enough for the Win port at playable framerates. Never needed to use any other port. Haven't used Win9x on a home system since 2002.
Esturk
Lurker

Post by Esturk »

I haven't used the DOS port since about 2001. I've been running ZSNES on Windows XP x64 for a couple of years now and it's been great.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Windows XP FTW!

i havn't used a real DOS environment since about 2002, i have used DOSBox tho.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
galamonth
Rookie

Post by galamonth »

all those 2006 zsnes wips were great for dos on win9x but my old laptop got teardown eventualy, so i had to get a new desktop, been using snes9x 1.51 since then...
romhackhispano.org Spanish Translations
denzilla
Hazed

Post by denzilla »

Using XP here, no need for either DOS or 9x support. They're both outdated and need to be put to rest. How about replacing the DOS port with a Win32 port like baseline MAME? That way if people hate the current GUI, someone can code a good FE :)
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Thank you for your participation.
We'll keep win9x compatibility for the time being.
DOS is going down.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

Another vote for ZSNESW under NT.

I think it's a good time to finally put ZSNES DOS to bed. Perhaps make a final send off release if possible. Also, keep a DOS version available as download on the site. That way anyone who needs to use DOS can still easily find a version of ZSNES to use.

That should be fine for everyone.

As for ZSNES 9x. What reasons do you have that would make upcoming versions of ZSNES incompatible with 9x? You can still keep 9x and NT compatibility pretty easily with the same version. There's not many got to have NT only features that are worth killing off that computability right now in my opinion.

I would probably keep 9x compatibility around for another version or two and re-evaluate next year. It's also not really logical to me that you've kept the DOS version around for eons and all the sudden now you want to axe the 9x version so quickly. It seems somewhat premature.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Nightcrawler wrote:As for ZSNES 9x. What reasons do you have that would make upcoming versions of ZSNES incompatible with 9x?
In short, pagefault can make the windows port way faster if we drop 9x support.
FASTAAAR ;)

Anyway, that was the point of the poll. We took the decision that looked best given the answers.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Kajuru
Regular

Post by Kajuru »

So DOS will get one last version, or 1.51 is the dead end?
A "Farewell DOS" version would pay it some respect.
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

grinvader wrote:
Nightcrawler wrote:As for ZSNES 9x. What reasons do you have that would make upcoming versions of ZSNES incompatible with 9x?
FASTAAAR ;)

Anyway, that was the point of the poll. We took the decision that looked best given the answers.
Anybody running an NT based windows OS today probably has the hardware where they don't need ZSNESW to be any faster. Can anybody claim otherwise? I've gotten full speed in ZSNES ever since I've had hardware capable of running XP decently. That was several years back now on retired hardware.

Again, there seems to be little significant reason to kill of 9x support. And again, the specifics haven't even been mentioned, so they can't even be commented on. I personally wouldn't miss it if it were gone, but still, is it necessary?
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

I want more speed out of HQ3X and HQ4X. Pipe dream?
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

If the mentioned speed increases bring about lower CPU utilisation (for conservation of laptop battery life), then I am all for it.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Nightcrawler wrote:
grinvader wrote:
FASTAAAR ;)

Anybody running an NT based windows OS today probably has the hardware where they don't need ZSNESW to be any faster. Can anybody claim otherwise? I've gotten full speed in ZSNES ever since I've had hardware capable of running XP decently. That was several years back now on retired hardware.

Again, there seems to be little significant reason to kill of 9x support. And again, the specifics haven't even been mentioned, so they can't even be commented on. I personally wouldn't miss it if it were gone, but still, is it necessary?
it lets them CODE the emulator faster, may not impact on emulators performance.

pagefault is working on audio support and the sound engine for zsnes.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Jipcy
Veteran

Post by Jipcy »

Given this news, I'm looking forward to the next release. I'll be more than happy to remove all DOS-specific documentation, and I might even get in the mood to document some other stuff.
[url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net]Official ZSNES Docs[/url] | [url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net/nsrt]NSRT Guide[/url] | [url=http://endoftransmission.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=394]Using a Wiimote w/ emulators[/url]
soulmata
Regular

Post by soulmata »

i build it on linux only

i suggest scrapping Dos and 9x support

fffffffffff
[url=http://whattheboat.com]whattheboat.com : [b]still not dead[/b][/url]
[url=http://playithardcore.com]playithardcore.com: we are better at games than you[/url]

Join boat web IRC and talk to boaters: [url]http://irc.whatthebert.com/[/url]
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

Someone may want to make a news post on the ZSNES site announcing this. I would imagine that more people read the site more often than the forum, especially considering that the board is dead.

In other words, the opinions here may not exactly be representative of the general public.

Personally, I think DOS support should be dropped, but I wouldn't mind if 9x support was dropped either.
Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

I would suggest making a final/farewell version of the DOS and win 9x versions before dropping them, that'd likely keep a lot of users happy.
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

Cyrus wrote:I would suggest making a final/farewell version of the DOS and win 9x versions before dropping them, that'd likely keep a lot of users happy.
According to this pole, not enough to warrant the effort.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.