I can't load a save state.

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

oicdn

I can't load a save state.

Post by oicdn »

Downloaded Chrono trigger, and it works and saves games fine. I can load my saved points, but there's a save state that I DL'd from

http://csd.varlew.net/ct/ctemu.php

I DL'd the maxed characters one, and can't figure out how to make the game load that save state. How do I do that? I've read and searched and can't get it to load.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

You renamed the file to match your rom?
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Kajuru
Regular

Post by Kajuru »

There's always the chance the zst is too old.
I'd rather do it myself(PAR codes) than rely on other peoples "hacks"
oicdn

Post by oicdn »

Yes...renamed it, and now it works. However, I can't save the game, so that I can start from the very beginning with maxed everything. the rainbow sword, etc...
Kajuru
Regular

Post by Kajuru »

If New Game + is available, save @ some save point, then reload from the srm.
oicdn

Post by oicdn »

New Game + isn't available. :cry:

The maxed save state is working, but I want to start from the beginning with everything (like you did on the SNES), not at the end of time with the characters named after "That 70's Show" and everything already done....
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I'm not sure how you can say that "you can't save the game". You need to use a save point or be on the overworld map to save.

I suggest you obtain Chrono Trigger SRAM instead of savestates (especially if worse comes to worse).
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Kajuru
Regular

Post by Kajuru »

Beat the Black Omen and NG+ will open.

Then never ever again use states.
Stafos

Post by Stafos »

-_- Are you above posters trying to be confusing? Hah..

In chrono trigger speficicly:
To aquire new game+ (alows you to start a new game, with the previous games stats/equipment etc), you have to have a saved game (Game Saveram save, not Zsnes savestate) and defeat Lavos, and finishing the game, while not resetting or shutting it off until the end.. heh

To save a game, go to any savepoint (found in areas) or be on the worldmap, and use the Save option in the game. Zsnes will automaticly make a .SRM file to match the rom.

About savestates:
Savestates are merely the active ram data, sound data, and visual data present at the time of saving. (correct me if i'm wrong)
Zsnes (when you make a save) will automaticly name the file correctly to be loaded.
for example:
Chrono Trigger (U) [!].SMC
Chrono Trigger (U) [!].ZST or Chrono Trigger (U) [!].ZS# (# = 1 to 9 )
Also, ZST's are not "Hacks", however the ram data it loads may be edited to some degree. If you want to know how to "Hack" ZSTs i can easily explain that :/

Older savestates may not work properly with newer versions of Zsnes.
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 300 character limit
(A very nice signature Indeed)
Kajuru
Regular

Post by Kajuru »

IIRC just beating Lavos won't open NG+, you must take down the Black Omen at least once.
Stafos

Post by Stafos »

This isn't a discussion about Chrono trigger, but if you must know, yes, you must defeat him via quest point at the black omen, the other ways to defeat lavos are for the special and or secret endings. (Which should be aparent, as to there difficulty on an average save...)

However, which time of the black omen and when are up to you, and on a default non-edited and non-overleveled save, it shouldn't be easily possible to defeat lavos at any other part anyway..
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 300 character limit
(A very nice signature Indeed)
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Stafos wrote:However, which time of the black omen and when are up to you, and on a default non-edited and non-overleveled save, it shouldn't be easily possible to defeat lavos at any other part anyway..
you can't beat the black omen in 2300 AD
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

adventure_of_link wrote:
We know.

EDIT: right?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

DancemasterGlenn wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote:
We know.

EDIT: right?
Yes.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Stafos wrote:Savestates are merely the active ram data, sound data, and visual data present at the time of saving. (correct me if i'm wrong)
I correct you. Details aren't really needed, are they ?

If they are, go fetch.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Stafos wrote: However, which time of the black omen and when are up to you, and on a default non-edited and non-overleveled save, it shouldn't be easily possible to defeat lavos at any other part anyway..

Congratulations, we got a new one!
In fact, I say the easiest way to beat Lavos is by ramming the Epoch into it.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by oicdn »

So all I have to do is load the ZSNES save state...go to the exterior map, then save to the game itself. Then, go beat Lavos and NG+ will appear?
Kajuru
Regular

Post by Kajuru »

www.gamefaqs.com

End topic.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

oicdn wrote:So all I have to do is load the ZSNES save state...go to the exterior map, then save to the game itself. Then, go beat Lavos and NG+ will appear?
No.

You have to save the game somewhere, beat Lavos via Black Omen, reset, and then New Game + will appear.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by oicdn »

YAY!!! I can beat teh crap out of some beginning level monsters!!!!