Getting Grandia 3 to run

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Getting Grandia 3 to run

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

Okay, I have a PCSX 2 question, I'm trying to run Grandia 3 (U) on PCSX2 0.9.4 from an ISO image (don't worry, I own the real game), and the opening FMV works okay for the most part. However, after ever five seconds, the sound/music repeats the last five seconds...then continues...and repeats over and over again. During this I get about 20-30 FPS. BUT, as soon as it shows Yuki at the end of the opening FMV, the screen goes black and the emulator speed goes up to ~210% or so and crashes. Okay, I've seen videos of people fighting in this game on youtube, on PCSX2 0.9.4; (link - http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... &plindex=0)
or is it legit?

CPU - Pentium IV 3.20GHz (prescott)
RAM - 1024 MB DDR 800 RAM
Video - GeForce 7800 GT 256MB GDDR-3
OS - WinXP home (SP2)

PCSX2 ver: 0.9.4 (SSE2 version)
Plugins:

GPU: GSdx9 0.10.7 (SSE2)
SPU: PEOpS SPU2 1.9.0
DVD/CD: Linuzappz Iso CD/DVD 0.7.0

Any help is appreciated.
In fact, I might be able to attach a video to show you. How can an upload a link to one?

Edit 12/12/07 8:11PM - okay, I just got the recent beta from the PCSX2 website (the 0.9.5 beta) and the game actually works, but there's no, sound, mostly becuase it's a beta. I find that ironic saying as a beta, unstable as they are, can run Grandia 3...at 50% speed.
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
powerspike
Regular

Post by powerspike »

That's pretty weird. I got in game with sound. Here's my setup..

PCSX2 Beta 0.9.5 rev 239 ( No MGTS or DC since I don't have a dual core processor. I have frame limiting checked too and all the recompilers enabled.)
Graphics: GSDX9 0.11.2 for the video /w logarithmic Z and Alpha Correction enabled
First controller: SSX PAD Plugin pressure mod 1.6.0
Second controller: Same one
Sound: ZeroSPU 0.4.4 /w Time Scaling enabled
USB: USBNull
Dev9: Dev9Null
Bios: USA v01.60(7/02/2002)
CDvdROm: Linuzappz ISO CDVD 0.7.0
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Okay, so, I got past the whole "emulator crashing past the first FMV " error. I copied the memory card to the PCSX2 0.9.4 folder and the game has sound AND is playable! I usually can get 20 to 30 fps on average. Funny thing is, even though it's slow (the speed) the tempo of the music is perfect. Is that possible with FFX? How can play the game with 100% audio speed despite the fact the in-game speed is only half of the real speed?

Edit - how can I upload an MP3 showing that this is the case?
powerspike
Regular

Post by powerspike »

So it was the memory card huh? Glad you figured that out. You'll probably never get full speed in a lot of games even with a top of the line system. Emulating the Playstation 2 is pretty damn slow. I was thinking of just breaking down and buying a modded playstation 2. There's tons of games I missed out on not owning one.

Edit: As for you audio question that's impossible. There's no way it could play the audio at full speed when it has to emulate all the other processors inside the Playstation 2 in sync. The best you can do is the time scaling option. If not it just stutters.
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

neo_bahamut1985 wrote:How can play the game with 100% audio speed despite the fact the in-game speed is only half of the real speed?
By using frameskip :)
[i]Have a nice kick in da nutz[/i] @~@* c//
powerspike
Regular

Post by powerspike »

That's right, man I don't know what I was thinking. Sorry about that.
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Does that keep the music's tempo up, or what (frameskip)?
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Frameskip only affects video, not audio. Unless some games use/require strict frame and audio syncing, of course.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.