Upon exiting ZSNES, I am confronted with a black screen (XP)

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

No_Connotate

Upon exiting ZSNES, I am confronted with a black screen (XP)

Post by No_Connotate »

Hi all. I did a cursory search of this, both on Google and locally, and found nothing - so maybe I'm alone in a cold, cold world :(

Simply put, as the topic suggests: I can load ZSNES fine (woo!). I can play ZSNES fine (or, well, could if I had any skill in any game other than Clue :roll: ). I can even select the correct option to exit at least 75% of the time.

However, exiting ZSNES is evidently a mistake of some sort. :P When I do, I am dumped to a black screen which thinks it's my desktop - but it's not! I can move the mouse and click things, and Windows still "works" (i.e., programs load, even if I can't see exactly what I'm clicking on), but berefit of sight, save for that plain, unremarkable mouse cursor. This, naturally, doesn't happen if I don't run full-screen - but come on, playing Pocky and Rocky in a window is like playing Rez on a black and white TV.

The only way out of this minimalist hell is to suspend my computer - then, upon un-hibernating, all is well.

I suspect that the problem is to be found either in my recently "updated" (if a nVidia e-GeForce 7300 GS can be considered an "update" in this day and age) graphics card, my similarly "updated" monitor, or the fact that I'm now using a KVM switch. However, these are permanant parts of my system now, and no program will have me going back to onboard video and fiddling with wires every time I switch desktops - especially given that other programs (Civ IV, FCE Ultra, MAME, MagicEngine, just to name a few) behave perfectly fine.

My system specs (bold denotes something that's changed since the good ol' days when ZSNES ran and stopped running perfectly well):

AMD Athlon 3800+
Radio Shack PS2 > USB adaptor
2 Gig RAM (okay, used to only be 1GB, but if this is to blame, I don't know what to make of the world anymore...)
nVidia e-GeForce 7300 GS
Trendnet TR-207 2-port USB KVM switch
Samsung SyncMaster 763MB

I've tried deleting the .cfg files and reinstalling ZSNES - neither fixed the problem.

Starting in fullscreen, then going back to a windowed mode before exiting works, but is, frankly, a pain in the ass, and I'd rather figure out exactly what's going on here! :)

I'm not a coder, so if any coders are reading this thread, take a deep breath, because my retardedness will likely make you cringe - but I'm guessing that, for some reason, ZSNES isn't restoring "control" of the graphics accelerator and/or hardware acceleration back to Windows upon exiting fullscreen mode. So I get the black "placeholder" screen (similar to how movie files are handled), but all the graphical yumminess that should be "painted in" that space is, for whatever reason, not painted in.
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

Those specs really shouldn't have much of an impact when you close Zsnes 1.51. Have you tried clicking on the "x"? Or as a last resort, have you already tried pressing ctrl+alt+del to bring up the task manager then close it?
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

did you test your memory after going from 1 gig to 2 gig? memtest86
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
No_Connotate

Post by No_Connotate »

neo_bahamut1985 wrote:Those specs really shouldn't have much of an impact when you close Zsnes 1.51. Have you tried clicking on the "x"? Or as a last resort, have you already tried pressing ctrl+alt+del to bring up the task manager then close it?
Both result in the same problem.
franpa wrote:did you test your memory after going from 1 gig to 2 gig? memtest86
Considering that Sid Meier's "GIVE ME MORE RAM PLEASE I NEED IT MORE MORE MORE IV" runs fine, with Azureus in the background no less, I don't think it's a memory issue :twisted:
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

the problem could lie in a particular memory address that tho's wo programs don't touch where as zsnes does touch.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
No_Connotate

Post by No_Connotate »

franpa wrote:the problem could lie in a particular memory address that tho's wo programs don't touch where as zsnes does touch.
I'd consider Civ IV to be the creepy uncle who nobody in the family likes to talk about when it comes to touching RAM. Wouldn't bad RAM also cause glitches during operation, and be dependent on resolution, filters, etc?
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

....Just do the memory test, good lord. It would've been done 100s of times by now. :D
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Nike wrote:JUST DO IT
The only other thing I can think of is not run other background apps, such as Azureus.

All the other apps you have listed use Direct3D, not DirectDraw. ZSNES is negatively reacting to one of your apps.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

I'd recommend reinstalling the latest version of DirectX and UNINSTALLING your video card drivers, then reinstall the latest nvidia drivers. I think I experienced something like this awhile back and it was related to directX/video card drivers which was only resolved after uninstalling the drivers completely and reinstalling. Simply installing the latest drivers didn't do it.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.