fast games on MMX-less machines

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

phantom

Post by phantom »

I find this topic very interesting, because my previous machine, a 2.6 GHz P4 could not run many SNES games at full speed. Only on my new Core 2 Duo E6550 (2.33 GHz) can I get the SNES games to run at full speed.

This is all with Windows 2000 and ZSNES 1.51..
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

A P4 is more than enough, unless you're pairing with with some integrated video card and/or using the filters, such as HQ4x.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Deathlike2 wrote:A P4 is more than enough, unless you're pairing with with some integrated video card and/or using the filters, such as HQ4x.
Or have a metric butt-load of malware infesting your machine and sucking clock cycles away from REAL work.
Last edited by Gil_Hamilton on Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
phantom

Post by phantom »

Deathlike2 wrote:A P4 is more than enough, unless you're pairing with with some integrated video card and/or using the filters, such as HQ4x.
Nope, wasn't, the video card was an ATI Radeon 9550.. And I'm not sure what HQ4x is. Only things I see on the filters tab are "GRAYSCALE MODE" and "VSYNC". I wasn't even aware there were filters before recently.

EDIT:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:Or have a metric butt-load of malware infesting your machine and sucking clock cycles away from REAL work.
I practice safe hex, and could run games ranging from Warcraft III to Breed on there (although Breed went somewhat slow).
Kajuru
Regular

Post by Kajuru »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
Or have a metric butt-load of malware infesting your machine and sucking clock cycles away from REAL work.
Don't forget badly designed or superflous apps running as background processes. My personal policy is "If it ain't used, kick it from the tray".
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

phantom wrote:
Nope, wasn't, the video card was an ATI Radeon 9550.. And I'm not sure what HQ4x is. Only things I see on the filters tab are "GRAYSCALE MODE" and "VSYNC". I wasn't even aware there were filters before recently.
If you use a different video mode, you will find more options than what you just said.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

My 850MHz Duron was enough, two systems ago.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
byuu

Post by byuu »

leilei wrote:
Silver Fox 9mm wrote:im not trying to mean but if you don't have MMX you need to upgrade and trust me you could get A 1ghz computer for under 50$ on ebay
Perhaps he lives in Cuba or something, where $50 is 3 months of income.

I often wonder if anyone who clings to antique hardware to save money ends up paying more in the end via electricity bills than they would by upgrading to one of those ultra-low power VIA systems. That would be pleasantly ironic.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

byuu wrote:
leilei wrote:
Silver Fox 9mm wrote:im not trying to mean but if you don't have MMX you need to upgrade and trust me you could get A 1ghz computer for under 50$ on ebay
Perhaps he lives in Cuba or something, where $50 is 3 months of income.

I often wonder if anyone who clings to antique hardware to save money ends up paying more in the end via electricity bills than they would by upgrading to one of those ultra-low power VIA systems. That would be pleasantly ironic.
Or even a Core, depending on when they won't upgrade from.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Kajuru wrote:My personal policy is "If it ain't used, kick it from the tray".
Not just from the tray, but kick from the startup option as well.

hell usually I just let all programs related to my computer's OEM, anti-virus, and firewalls run on startup.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
leilei
Rookie

Post by leilei »

After playing ZSNES 0.991 for a while on a 486 (YEP 486) I think i've noticed why there's massive slowdown in some games and my theory is this

Games that use extremely high frequency instruments (i.e. c-5 base at 70khz) tend to cause the most massive slowdown. Low output rate doesn't matter for these. It might explain why Last Action Hero and BTDD is so damn smooth because the samples are at of a low frequency.

if ZSNES had a feature to resample these down half or quarter their original frequency then adjust the pitch accordingly automatically it'd probably speed it up alot, but such feature would not be developed in the current state of zsnes though as the latest is a bit too slow.
o^_^o