Huge issue with FF3/VI Fatal error!!! Any help PLEASE

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

jakah
Rookie

Huge issue with FF3/VI Fatal error!!! Any help PLEASE

Post by jakah »

I've been playing FF3/VI for a while and I'm practically at the last part of the game. I'm in the WOR btw. After I had finished the "Ancient Castle" the place where you get stopped when traveling in Figaro Castle (where you get the esper Odin/Raiden)...well, I finished that but as I leave Figaro Castle, the screen goes black......and stays that way!!!
:shock:
I had been using the actual save feature in the game and the save state featured in ZSNES. But when I loaded up the save state (I saved-stated it right at the entrance of Figaro Castle about to leave) but there was no sound!!! I tried to leave...I waited...and waited...and waited. I finally realized it was stuck!!!
To make things worse, I can't load my original saves (in game one) I reset the game...only to find I had NO SAVE FILES AT ALL!!! It acted like I had first started the game (showing the intro cutscene) But I'm guessing that has something to do with the save state feature.
I'M STUCK IN THE CASTLE!!! WHAT DO I DO!!!??? I'm so far in the game with VERY decent leveled characters. I've got about 35 hours on the game! Please someone help me figure out this issue WITHOUT making me lose all of that.
:(
BTW I had put in a couple of other snes SMC files in the folder holding ZSNES in the time during this. Could that have done anything?
:?
HELP SERIOUSLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Are you using any cheat codes?

Try using another version of zsnes, loading the .srm file.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Palin
Hazed

Post by Palin »

Things that are helpful:

Run your ROM through NSRT.

NSRT analyzes a ROM file and determines if it's a good dump or a bad dump, you'll see something like this:

Code: Select all

---------------------Internal ROM Info----------------------
       File: Final Fantasy III (U) (V1.1) [!].smc
       Name: FINAL FANTASY 3          Company: Square
     Header: NSRT                        Bank: HiROM
Interleaved: None                        SRAM: 64 Kb
       Type: Normal + Batt                ROM: 24 Mb
  ROM Speed: 120ns (FastROM)         Revision: 1.1
   Checksum: Good 0x8A60            Game Code: F6  
At the lower left you see a notes that says "Checksum: Good"

That will ensure that you're using a good version of the ROM. If you're using a bad dump, or a Japanese version with a translation patch, ZSNES might not be able to play the ROM correctly.

Also, what version of ZSNES are you using?
jakah
Rookie

Post by jakah »

Well, I have never had ANY problems with this game (except this) Actually, I've never had ANY problems with any other games, in fact)
Only problems were with the program itself (sometimes everything would revert back to default settings: I'd have to reset controls, fix video screen, etc, etc) but that like NEVER happens. Been using this program for almost a year. (only happened twice)

Here's what it says on the "load rom" window, it says its filename is "Final Fantasy 3 (V1.1) (U) (!).smc

Then when loaded it says at the bottom of the screen, "FINAL FANTASY 3 TYPE: NRM CHSUM: OK"

I don't use cheat codes
I'm using version 1.36.
It does say "checksum good" (Final Fantasy
How do you run NSRT? (I downloaded the one from EmuParadise [I would paste a link, but I don't think I'm allowed)

Actually...a similer issue like this happened several months ago. Except I was save-stated on the Overworld. (No sound, gets stuck when entering a town) I fixed that by simply saving the game (not save state), reset, loaded it from the actual load game screen. Presto, fixed...but why does that work?

My current save game (saved right before exiting the Ancient Castle and going back to Figaro Castle) doesn't appear in the load game screen :?

I can't do that since I'm in the castle, where there's no save points available. I tried going back into the Ancient Castle to save...stuck again...Is there any cheat codes that can spawn a savepoint wherever you stand (or something)? Or is that not the case. What should I do? (rebooting the computer definatly doesn't fix the problem)
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

jakah wrote:Actually...a similer issue like this happened several months ago. Except I was save-stated on the Overworld. (No sound, gets stuck when entering a town) I fixed that by simply saving the game (not save state), reset, loaded it from the actual load game screen. Presto, fixed...but why does that work?
Sometimes the emulation goes out of whack. That is usually the best standard procedure for any RPG to fix the problem.

However, I would suggest you use the latest version because the save data is stored with the savestate. IIRC, it isn't done in versions prior to 1.50.
I can't do that since I'm in the castle, where there's no save points available. I tried going back into the Ancient Castle to save...stuck again...Is there any cheat codes that can spawn a savepoint wherever you stand (or something)? Or is that not the case. What should I do? (rebooting the computer definatly doesn't fix the problem)
You don't want to use those codes, because you simply don't know if the game reacts well to it. There is a save point in the passageway to the Ancient Castle, so use that.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
jakah
Rookie

Post by jakah »

Can't get there...For some reason, I can go just about anywhere in the castle.
Places I can't go are:

Any of the places that lead out of the castle and onto the Overworld
Can't rest in that area
Can't go down to the basement (the floor below the guy saying, "We've bumped into a mysterious stratum, etc"
(that's all I've checked)
When going down to the prison cells, I can only go through the entrance of the "Ancient Cave."...but It gets stuck there...I have no idea why.i

So is the latest version of ZSNES 1.50? Should that help? If so, what your saying is that I should download the latest version so that I can use the save state to get my current "ingame" save, or did I kinda misunderstand that?
Last edited by jakah on Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

jakah wrote:So is the latest version of ZSNES 1.50? If so, what your saying is that I should download the latest version so that I can use the save state to get my current "ingame" save, or did I kinda misunderstand that?
No... it's more of a suggestion to avoid the problem you are having to begin with.

The savestate created by your older version doesn't have any save data and is practically useless to fix your problem.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
jakah
Rookie

Post by jakah »

Okay, so Ancient Cave is no option, version 1.5 won't help...what should I do?

[EDIT]

Still, I tried version 1.51, but like you said, it didn't really make a difference: still no sound and getting stuck! DX what should I do?

[EDIT]

I loaded another save state, on version 1.36 (I have only 3 save states on this game) What sucks is that the only thing afflicted is that one savestate (in Fagaro Castle)! To make things worse, no other saves/savestates are even close to the point of where I am. :( What should I do without losing all of that?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Find a save of this game you could use...

This is a live and learn lesson.
Last edited by Deathlike2 on Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
jakah
Rookie

Post by jakah »

Find a save of this game you could use...

This is a live and learn leson.

what do you mean by that?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

jakah wrote:Find a save of this game you could use...

This is a live and learn leson.

what do you mean by that?
Some websites like Zophar's Domain have saves you can download so you can continue the game from a point in time.

As for the lesson, it is one of those situations that you didn't consider a backup plan.. and since you experienced a problem, you don't have any other good options to goto.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

So, go get a SRM save file close to where you are then use zsnes 1.50 or newer if you want to use savestates.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
rumrum
Rookie

Post by rumrum »

:lol:

Just restart, your boned either way. Try not to live off of save states. They tend to break randomly.

On a side note, Gau is the shizz!
BLARGH!
jakah
Rookie

Post by jakah »

Well...s***.
Okay then, is there any modifier cheats or anything that I can use to practically make my charactors stats back to they used to be?

......and Terra, Locke, Celes, and Mog totally PWN!!!!!!!!!!!! (I actually got their HP above 3000 without cheats [Locke had practically every magic skill......up to Raidin]) DDDDX

Ok, so find a .srm and work back from there. And perhaps some modifiers would help.
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

If you ever get stuck, a man named Alex down at http://www.fantasyanime.com made a bunch of saves for almost every area in the game.

http://fantasyanime.com/finalfantasy/ff6/ff6saves.htm

Use that if you ever run into problems again.

This site has shrines for many of the best RPG's available for the SNES. Most of which also have game saves just in case you lose your own saves.

It's a pretty awesome place, you should check it out, definitely.
rumrum
Rookie

Post by rumrum »

Jakah. Your almost better off trying to do a low level run if you want killer stats with the use of esper bonus's. Theres a few nice guides on gamefaqs for that. :P
BLARGH!
jakah
Rookie

Post by jakah »

Ok, but is there cheats that spawn a save point? Really! I'm desperate not to loose all of my data!
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

http://www.videogamesource.com/super-ni ... codes.html

If it doesn't work, don't blame me.
jakah
Rookie

Post by jakah »

Ok mabye just that'll work! Thanks for doing everything you can do to help me with this! If it works, I'll make sure to post it! :D
jakah
Rookie

Post by jakah »

HALLELUJAH!!! THANK YOU FOR THE CODE!!!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D

After a couple of attempts at that "save anywhere" cheat, I was greatly distraught (no results). But right after I was about to start a new game...I gave the cheat one last try, typing it EXACTLY as the cheat was stated (Usually, I would put the dash, but this time I didn't)

I opened the menu...the SAVE feature wasn't gray!!! I whooped and hit that button...then I reset the game (almost yelling during the title screen, "oh...PLEASE LET THIS HAVE WORKED!!!")......the load game menu appeared...with the save and everything!!! 8D I selected it...the Figaro Castle fanfare played! (ironically, it fit the moment perfectly)

:D :D :D :D

long story short...IT WORKED!!!!

Hey thanks y'all for helping me out on this! Honestly, without you guys...I would still be cussing at the screen (not really but you know what I mean ^_^)

and...
rumrum wrote::lol:

Just restart, your boned either way. Try not to live off of save states. They tend to break randomly.
HAHA I DIDN'T HAVE TO RESTART!!!!! XDDD okay, I will definately take your advice on that! :lol:

Again, THANKS ALL!!! :D
Kajuru
Regular

Post by Kajuru »

But right after I was about to start a new game...I gave the cheat one last try, typing it EXACTLY as the cheat was stated (Usually, I would put the dash, but this time I didn't)
There's a difference between PAR and GG codes, you know.
jakah
Rookie

Post by jakah »

Well...I really don't know the difference...mabye its the whole dash thing ^^
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Maybe it's the whole encrypted string thing.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54