Nestopia 1.39

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

Deathlike2 wrote:My guess is that he means those pirate carts or certain mappers.
No, he's using Jnes. I don't think the author of Jnes gives pirate carts a high priority. Besides, Nestopia supports all of the mappers that Jnes supports.
Marty
Nestopia Developer
Nestopia Developer

Post by Marty »

byuu wrote:Neat! Time to update ... by the way, did Marty mention why he removed 2xSaI? Not taking sides on it (except to say I support Marty's ultimate decision either way), just semi-curious what his stated reason was is all. A quick search failed me.
Thanks byuu. Well, the main reason I removed them was simply because I felt they'd been overshadowed by the (IMHO) more pleasant looking hqx filter. I didn't think there were still hardcore fans of them. The original code had some issues with reading (or was it writing? can't remember right now) from memory outside the allowed bound as well which I had to fix. It slowed down the code considerably because of the added bound checking. At the end of the day I just said fuck it, and removed them completely.

In any case, if I were to bring back at least one of them, which should it be? 2xSaI, Super 2xSaI or Super Eagle? Before I can do that though I need to know if its software license is really GPL compatible.

Btw, saw the news about the new UPS format. Seems very neat. I'll see if I can bloat my software even more and add soft-patching support for it in a future release. :)
ShadowFX
Regular

Post by ShadowFX »

Marty wrote:In any case, if I were to bring back at least one of them, which should it be? 2xSaI, Super 2xSaI or Super Eagle? Before I can do that though I need to know if its software license is really GPL compatible.
In my opinion, the standard 2xSaI filter looks best and that is what I use frequently. However, there is something going on with this filter and the current (Nvidia) videocards, odd lines on the sides of the screen can be seen which is not right. I believe the code needs to be reviewed (is it open source?). I think I'll be opening a thread about this somewhere as it cought my eye for quite some time now.
[i]"Change is inevitable; progress is optional"[/i]
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

ShadowFX wrote:
Marty wrote:In any case, if I were to bring back at least one of them, which should it be? 2xSaI, Super 2xSaI or Super Eagle? Before I can do that though I need to know if its software license is really GPL compatible.
In my opinion, the standard 2xSaI filter looks best and that is what I use frequently. However, there is something going on with this filter and the current (Nvidia) videocards, odd lines on the sides of the screen can be seen which is not right. I believe the code needs to be reviewed (is it open source?). I think I'll be opening a thread about this somewhere as it cought my eye for quite some time now.
IIRC, it is GPL (edit: pagefault confirm this).

The code itself intentionally requires you to clear out those lines the implementation (this was fixed somewhere in ZSNES post 1.51), and the unnecessary duplication of code between the DOS/DJGPP implementation and Windows implemenation is gone. The line bug people saw was referenced in CT's intro (search the board for the old reference if you wish).

Reread the 1.51 Release thread if need be: http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9461
Note: You were the one that brought it up, and referenced it, yet the info you sought was provided then (ironic?).
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
byuu

Post by byuu »

Well, the main reason I removed them was simply because I felt they'd been overshadowed by the (IMHO) more pleasant looking hqx filter. I didn't think there were still hardcore fans of them.
Ah, I see. I know some of the filters can be invasive (crushing lots of common global function names, macro expanding so much that it slows compilation by a significant margin (hi, HQ2x!), etc,) so I was half expecting that to be the reason.

I'll agree with you on HQx, and hope I don't spark that discussion again. Each of us have our own preferences, and that's fine :)
Btw, saw the news about the new UPS format. Seems very neat. I'll see if I can bloat my software even more and add soft-patching support for it in a future release.
Awesome!! Soft patching support is the #1 thing it lacks right now, and so far only one obscure emulator has it :/

I'd certainly greatly appreciate if you added it. Then I just have to bug the VBA-M guys to follow suit, to help the upcoming Mother 3 release out :)

The one issue I see is with the multitude of NES ROM formats abound: the patches would need to specifically target each format, iNES v1/2 (make a patch that includes the header), UNIF (direct file patch) and XML schema (one patch for both the XML file and the binary file). One patch can't apply to all ROM types, sadly. I couldn't keep the patch format simple and account for all possible console image formats at the same time :(

If you wanted to take a look at what I have so far ...

Code: Select all

http://byuu.org/files/tsukuyomi_v01.tar.bz2
See nall/ups.hpp. The entire patching creation + application is done in <5kb of code, and you can cut that in half by removing patch creation. The only thing you may want to be wary of is that I don't yet deallocate memory on failed patching. It's best to set the output pointer to null before calling the function, but I'll address that properly in the next release.
The biggest problem with these filters are that they need pixels to the left and right of current, so the screen edges get tricky to support. This is why my HQ2x filter just draws a black border around the screen.

Anyway, yes, the code is GPL. If you guys want to review and rewrite it, then please consider an LGPL / BSD license for your rewrite (obviously this requires clean room techniques and such). I'm 100% certain more emulators would use it if it had a more permissive license.
Dullaron
Lurker

Post by Dullaron »

I found an issue on this program. I getting an unstable full screen here. I saw the graphics rolling up a line like a shock wave or a ocean wave. In window mode it doesn't happen at all and very stable holding still. What causes this?

This happen as well on Magic Engine. I guest it have something to do with what ever made from.

I just stick with the window mode. I can live with that.
Window Vista Home Premium 32-bit / Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40Ghz / 3.00 GB RAM / Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

enable vsync and triple buffering and see if it still occurs.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

Dullaron wrote:I found an issue on this program. I getting an unstable full screen here. I saw the graphics rolling up a line like a shock wave or a ocean wave. In window mode it doesn't happen at all and very stable holding still. What causes this?

This happen as well on Magic Engine. I guest it have something to do with what ever made from.

I just stick with the window mode. I can live with that.
I'm having this issue, too. I even force-enabled vsync/triple buffering via nVidia controls and the nestopia.cfg and still no luck.
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
Dullaron
Lurker

Post by Dullaron »

Well my issue is fix now. I have both enabled.

Try enable 1 of them by it self and then try again. Sometimes enabled both might not work right ether. I had to do this on FBA because only 1 of them fixes the issue.
Window Vista Home Premium 32-bit / Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40Ghz / 3.00 GB RAM / Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

mudlord wrote:His words do not, I repeat, do not reflect the opinions of what I, Nach, Jonas Quinn and other VBA-M contributers think of Nestopia. I certainly don't think Marty's work is bloated at all. Sure, its very configurable, but its file size doesn't at all reflect bloat.
I'm not at all worried. Especially now that I can rest easy knowing vba-m won't be "bloated" :P

EDIT: Also, no offense at all to Jabo, but that thread really makes me not care to try Jnes any more... though I guess it doesn't matter on a linux box :(
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

it's been noted on tweakguides.com (there forums) that the latest drivers break vsync support but i hazard a guess at that being limited to certain video cards and not all of them.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
ShadowFX
Regular

Post by ShadowFX »

Deathlike2 wrote:Reread the 1.51 Release thread if need be: http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=9461
Note: You were the one that brought it up, and referenced it, yet the info you sought was provided then (ironic?).
Actually, I'm pretty sure it was a post-1.51 WIP release that tried to fix this. It was never really 100% fixed as eventually I noticed it again (albeit harder to notice, but it was still there).

It maybe is a bit like 'double posting' if I were to place this elsewhere, but I would like it to be clear of other discussions. The problem is that I'm not really a programmer so I'm dealing with this on a regular user level.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

A more complete fix was added later, under different circumstances (using DR modes I think triggered it). That was addressed as well (I think Jonas committed that fix).

If you still think there are bugs, find it and reproduce it first.

The reality is, if it were to be reimplemented (the 2xSaI filters), you could simply just rewrite the algo to not cause the issue. It's not that big a deal.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

Tried to enable both vsync and triple buffering both at the same time and separately (via nestopia.cfg) and is does not work; I still see tearing. Funny how this only happens in windowed mode, though...(CRAP! Shoulda thought of using fullscreen before I reported this!)
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Triple Buffering doesnt work in windowed modes.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

There's a chance that the video card drivers are the culprit here. franpa is correct that Triple Buffering doesn't work in Windowed modes anyways.

Anyways, as a small feature request, if the status bar and/or ROM info provides info that an IPS patch is applied.. it would be greatly appreciated.
ShadowFX
Regular

Post by ShadowFX »

Deathlike2 wrote:If you still think there are bugs, find it and reproduce it first.
I will try exactly that and do some more research (again) before I attempt another thread about this.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

ShadowFX wrote:Actually, I'm pretty sure it was a post-1.51 WIP release that tried to fix this. It was never really 100% fixed as eventually I noticed it again (albeit harder to notice, but it was still there).
We've not had a post-1.51 WIP release made. Just FYI.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

I'm having trouble with Nestopia 1.38. Specifically, it's not letting me save in Crystalis. I can save state, but it won't do a cart save. I'm going to try another game to see if it has the same problem.

Edit: It's just Crystalis.
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

I.S.T. wrote:I'm having trouble with Nestopia 1.38. Specifically, it's not letting me save in Crystalis. I can save state, but it won't do a cart save. I'm going to try another game to see if it has the same problem.

Edit: It's just Crystalis.
Is your ROM a good dump? It seems to be working fine here.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

I'll try using another dump.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

The header bit for battery RAM could be unset. And GoodNES does nothing about bad headers. Or does it now?
xamenus
Veteran

Post by xamenus »

kode54 wrote:The header bit for battery RAM could be unset.
Even if that is the case, Nestopia gets the ROM info from its internal database (assuming that the database is enabled, which it is by default). Since I.S.T.'s dump is not working right, I assume it's not in the database. Hence, a bad dump.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

I tried an over dump, a proto dump(Seems to be bugged. It is a proto, after all.), I tried the japanese version, I tried the b1 version and a dump from a completely different web site.

I'm going to try a different emulator, and if that doesn't fix it(I'm not expecting to, I'm just covering every possibility I can think of.), I'll try the tosec dump...
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

After nearly three hours over the last day, I finally found a good dump of this game.

Jesus christ.

All of these bad dumps were labeled U or U !... Frigging annoying.