analog joystiq, problem with trying to just go forward it re

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

joebells
Rookie

analog joystiq, problem with trying to just go forward it re

Post by joebells »

Hi, I use the wireless 360 controllers to play zsnes on our tv in the living room. I can't stand the dpad on the 360 controller, one of the worst I've ever used. So I use the analog joystiq. In all my other emulators and such the analog registers a right press when pressed right and about half way until the down direction. With zsnes it registers a down and a right press unless I have it pressed exactly forward causing it to be pretty annoying.

I have tried adjusting the sensitivity value in the config file but it makes no difference. I was wondering if anyone might have any other ideas?

I see a similar post here and byuu proposed a fix but that was in december of last year and I don't believe any updates have been released since.
http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10720

Thanks.
byuu

Post by byuu »

It's because the analog thumb stick can be either digital or analog on many controllers -- lots of them have a switch for it.

When in analog mode, ZSNES v1.51 and below is hyper sensitive to axis movement. With the current v2.0 plans well underway, you'll probably have to build your own custom version to fix this, as Red_Wraith did.
joebells
Rookie

Post by joebells »

i'm totally lost on trying to change the source, for one my line numbers don't match up with what you say in the post. Instead of 2722 mine starts at 2919. I can of course change those lines but after that I'm lost.

Code: Select all

I would recommend converting joy_sensitivity to a sensitivity percentage (eg 0 - 100 percent). Then to adjust, do something like this: 

Code: 
int range = min(5, max(joy_sensitivity, 95)) / 100 * (axis_range / 2); 

To get the correct range, modify line 1113 in this file get the range rather than set it, as setting it apparently isn't doing you any favors when you compare the current position against zero.
I haven't a clue how to convert sensitivity to a percentage unless you mean just change the value in zinput.cfg to a percentage.

I have no clue where the int range = line would go or be used?

I haven't a clue as to which line 1113 matches up to in my file and if I did I might understand changing it to get the range instead of setting it but probably not.

I do have the release sources from source forge but I believe some slight changes were made based on a post I saw. http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=11287 so maybe thats why my line numbers don't match up?

Sorry to essentially ask to be spoon fed. I appreciate any help.