Interesting Secret of Mana Glitch

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

I am pretty damn sure the seeds randomize based on the state of something the second you plant them, not where they were gotten.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Incorrect.

I EXTENSIVELY tested this to make even shorter runs (also to see if there was any class 1 ultimate eq from seeds).
Grabbed a full pile before you even start getting anywhere and spent some time in inns planting them - ALL gave the same thing.

The random kicks in when you fairly get one.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Palin
Hazed

Post by Palin »

Isn't there a black rabite that you can fight that's fairly tough? Or would you consider that a boss?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Metatron wrote:I am pretty damn sure the seeds randomize based on the state of something the second you plant them, not where they were gotten.
It's kinda randomized, but the RNG is pretty bad for this game, which will require you to kill an enemy to properly rerandomize.
Palin wrote:Isn't there a black rabite that you can fight that's fairly tough? Or would you consider that a boss?
It's tougher than most bosses and that Moogle Badge is disappointing for the most part (except it's great validation because you killed an evil Rabite).
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Palin wrote:Isn't there a black rabite that you can fight that's fairly tough? Or would you consider that a boss?
- there's only one
- it doesn't repop
- it gives a unique item... if you're lucky enough (lulz Saturn)
- it has spells even bosses don't
- it's stronger than most other things in the game
- it's tactically smarter than any other monster or boss in the game

>> it is a boss
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

grinvader wrote:Incorrect.

I EXTENSIVELY tested this to make even shorter runs (also to see if there was any class 1 ultimate eq from seeds).
Grabbed a full pile before you even start getting anywhere and spent some time in inns planting them - ALL gave the same thing.

The random kicks in when you fairly get one.
I respectfully disagree. Multiple loads of SRAM before planting eventually gave a different result. This is inconsistent with your hypothesis. Keyword is eventually. Though maybe Deathlike's explanation is better.
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

...What is with this thread and people telling me I'm wrong when I'm not anyway?
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

FWIW, I've had the exact same results as grinvader when playing SD3... Reloading and save stating did shit.
Kajuru
Regular

Post by Kajuru »

grinvader wrote:- it's tactically smarter than any other monster or boss in the game
I found it ubber predictable.
Almost as messy as my notes, be it cheat searches, college annotations, or any reminder.

It's kinda randomized, but the RNG is pretty bad for this game
Very bad. One of the few things you can really manipulate are item drops, if you save state before the enemy explodes.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Kajuru wrote:
grinvader wrote:- it's tactically smarter than any other monster or boss in the game
Almost as messy as my notes, be it cheat searches, college annotations, or any reminder.

It's kinda randomized, but the RNG is pretty bad for this game
Very bad. One of the few things you can really manipulate are item drops, if you save state before the enemy explodes.
Item drops are easy to manipulate period. It's getting the final equipment set that's a pain in the ass... the RNG is just fucked up for this purpose for whatever the reason.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

It would honestly have been so much easier if Square just didn't give you copies of things you already had with the equipment. That was just silly. I can't think of a single final class item that can be used by more than one person.

It's more acceptable with the class change items since they double as actual in-battle use items.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Whether or not it is random is not really an issue. You can sell the weapons and armor (not rings or helmets) for good money. The randomness issue is simply a bug with the game's RNG and nothing more.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Kajuru wrote:
It is, but even then it IS the most tactically advanced monster in the game.

No other monster BOTH casts black rain on themselves and dark saber on you to get HPs back.
Add the various ultra magic uncancelable sequences, and you have the toughest cookie.

However SD3's not particularly hard, so even toughest doesn't mean much, indeed.

@Metatron: I'm a furious in-game collector. I like having every possible armor for each character in storage... So that means I always grab 3 (yes, three) ultimate sets per character.
One for the second class ultimate eq, and 2 for the third (one worn, the other in storage).
Bitch be tripping eq seeds.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

grinvader wrote:@Metatron: I'm a furious in-game collector. I like having every possible armor for each character in storage... So that means I always grab 3 (yes, three) ultimate sets per character.
One for the second class ultimate eq, and 2 for the third (one worn, the other in storage).
How DO you survive in games with limited inventory space?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
grinvader wrote:@Metatron: I'm a furious in-game collector. I like having every possible armor for each character in storage... So that means I always grab 3 (yes, three) ultimate sets per character.
This might sound like a revelation to some, but there is inventory storage available in this game.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Deathlike2 wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:
This might sound like a revelation to some, but there is inventory storage available in this game.
Yes. But I assumed he meant in RPGs in general.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Meh, you do the standard thing with limited storage... sell the crap off, like duh. :P
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

Just use that one Eye to cancel out its absorption.
Kajuru
Regular

Post by Kajuru »

grinvader wrote:It is, but even then it IS the most tactically advanced monster in the game.
It's got a efficient script, yes.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:How DO you survive in games with limited inventory space?
I then prioritize unique items that cannot be reacquired. And then if there's STILL not enough room I sort by category (elemental, special effects) and keep the best of each.
Example:
Image Image
And if there's REALLY no space at all, I sell everything and leave room for the best support items.
皆黙って俺について来い!!