My Cat deleted my game

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Gorak

My Cat deleted my game

Post by Gorak »

I was playing Harvest Moon last night on the ZSNES, about 70% through the game. Then my cat, who was laying down between the monitor and keyboard, rolls over and hits F4 with its paw. This snapped the game back to the start and when I reset the game, all of the save game data was gone.

I let the cat live, hoping that there was some way I could get my data back. Is there any way to get my game back? I think making one key delete an entire game is pretty stupid, according to the manual F4 is supposed to load a savestate, not delete everything.
jared_gibbs

Post by jared_gibbs »

It does load the state that you have "picked". If you have any other save states, you would be able to load them. If not, then you're screwed. Save frequently, and even on different states so that you can load different saves from different points. Just make sure you save, and do it often. F4 unforigiveably will throw it back to the last save. This can be disabled or changed in one of the menus though, it's not hard to find.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Re: My Cat deleted my game

Post by Deathlike2 »

Gorak wrote:I was playing Harvest Moon last night on the ZSNES, about 70% through the game. Then my cat, who was laying down between the monitor and keyboard, rolls over and hits F4 with its paw. This snapped the game back to the start and when I reset the game, all of the save game data was gone.

I let the cat live, hoping that there was some way I could get my data back. Is there any way to get my game back? I think making one key delete an entire game is pretty stupid, according to the manual F4 is supposed to load a savestate, not delete everything.
No, not really. It's kind of your fault if you don't create savestates every so often. F4 doesn't do anything if a savestate hasn't been created in the first place.

Give the cat to grinvader, so he can deal with it personally.

If you don't get the inside joke, grinvader loves cats.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

LOL!

Your cat deleted your progress. :P
That's got to be the funniest thing I've heard on this forum

This certainly made my day :P
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gorak wrote:I let the cat live, hoping that there was some way I could get my data back.
There is none. Proceed to desarticulate your cat in revenge.

I'll take care of his family, to set the example.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Deathlike2 wrote:
Gorak wrote:I was playing Harvest Moon last night on the ZSNES, about 70% through the game. Then my cat, who was laying down between the monitor and keyboard, rolls over and hits F4 with its paw. This snapped the game back to the start and when I reset the game, all of the save game data was gone.

No, not really. It's kind of your fault if you don't create savestates every so often. F4 doesn't do anything if a savestate hasn't been created in the first place.
Unless you aren't a cheating state whore and just never intend to use the feature. :P

Also: This thread provides indisputable proof that dogs > cats.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:

Unless you aren't a cheating state whore and just never intend to use the feature. :P
:P

I've seen to many variations of this thread (minus the cat), so it's one of those live and learn situations.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

Doesn't Harvest Moon have in-game saving?
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:

Is it cheating if I really like the ending to my favorite game and want to watch the ending over and over again so make a save state to it, as opposed to playing the last 3 levels to it?
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by blackmyst »

Nach wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:

Is it cheating if I really like the ending to my favorite game and want to watch the ending over and over again so make a save state to it, as opposed to playing the last 3 levels to it?
Does anyone care?

I used to tape videogame endings on VHS, heh.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Nach wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:

I was just teasing.

I've used states for password replacement(best use) and unexpected departures as well as cheating my ass off.
Cobra951
Rookie

Post by Cobra951 »

Johan_H wrote:Doesn't Harvest Moon have in-game saving?
Yes but restoring a save state also overwrites the in-game save file to conform to that save state. That's why I always do a save state right after an in-game save, even if I have no intention of "cheating".
Kajuru
Regular

Post by Kajuru »

Cobra951 wrote:
Johan_H wrote:Doesn't Harvest Moon have in-game saving?
Yes but restoring a save state also overwrites the in-game save file to conform to that save state. That's why I always do a save state right after an in-game save, even if I have no intention of "cheating".
You can disable this behaviour.
Qyzbud
Rookie

Try 'rewinding'

Post by Qyzbud »

I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned:

REWIND
Although it has to be done pretty much immediately (so this won't help you now, sorry), the 'rewind' function is what I use in these situations. If I load a state by accident, I just tap 'R' on my keyboard a few times, and it rewinds the play session to before I loaded the state.

This has gotten me out of similarly unpleasant situations.
Super NES... Still the best.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

It is true. Unlike some other emulators that trash their rewind stacks on state load, we keep ours intact.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
tvtoon
Rookie

Post by tvtoon »

Gil_Hamilton wrote: Also: This thread provides indisputable proof that dogs > cats.
Not really, once I had a dog that pissed on my desktop.
Luckily, the hardware was intact, so the dog left with no harm... :)
[url=http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p308/tvtoon/Avatares/th_tvlogo.png]GO LOGO, GO![/url]
<Renze> "IRC, where men are men, women are men, and 14 year old girls are FBI agents"
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

tvtoon wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote: Also: This thread provides indisputable proof that dogs > cats.
Luckily, the hardware was intact, so the dog left with no harm... :)
I can only conclude you had it coming and/or were due for an upgrade. :P
Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

tvtoon wrote:
i also have nearly experience like that too.

the dog walks in, sniffing then raise its foot, :shock: luckly i saw that and chase it away before he does its "action"

lord, did my desktop heve become like larry?