32bpp when full screen...

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

joebells
Rookie

32bpp when full screen...

Post by joebells »

Hi, I believe I read a response on this a long time ago but can not remember and cannot find said info. I was wondering if it was possible in anyway to have zsnes display in 32bpp when in full screen mode. My reasons are I run my emulator from vista media center. So when It shuts down it has to switch back to aero mode and then pull media center backup. My other emulators that use 32bpp are much faster to come out of the emulator and back into media center. It would just be a much nicer/smoother experience.

Its not life or death or anything and I understand there are more pressing issues probably but figured I'd ask since a 2.0 is coming. I'm not sure of the features planned as that one post doesn't have the info any more but I thought I might of read dx9 support? And if so then maybe this would be easier to implement?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

It won't happen, since there's no real use.

However, if you are insistant, there is code that ZSNES uses to switch to 16-bit mode while using Fullscreen. Once you find that, it becomes an easy change.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
joebells
Rookie

Post by joebells »

ok thank you I'll look at it, you don't think it'll cause any issues to turn it off? Its not set the way it is for a major reason? And wierdly now that I compiled my own build to fix the joystick issue it throws up an error when it gets back to media center saying I need to run media center in 32bpp pixel mode and thats a major pain(it threw it up a few times before but now it seems every time. So I would say it has a use as I believe more and more people are going to start to use media center to launch their emulators(personal belief there, but media center really is nice)
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

why use 32bit when the game displays 16bit video? all your doing is wasting resources for 0 gain... unless your computer can't handle 16bit video modes for some crazy reason.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

i believe his reason was stated in the first post.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
joebells
Rookie

Post by joebells »

yeah my computer runs vista media center and so its got aero and all that running. When it goes into 16bpp pixel it turns aero off and takes a bit, then when its coming back out of the emulator it has to again switch back to 32bpp and then turn aero back on and then re maximize media center. Its a blanky, messy, mess. and to top it all off now its giving me an error when I get back into media center about it needing to run in 32bpp mode. So something funky is happening there now(it started throwing up that error every time now that I compiled my own build?)

It would just be nicer if it could just run at the same resolution and color depth as everything else so my expensive tv didn't flicker like that, even my nes emulators and such run in 32bpp color mode..