So has anyone played Ys 4: Mask of the Sun?

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

Mark57Raider
Regular

So has anyone played Ys 4: Mask of the Sun?

Post by Mark57Raider »

This game is quirky in it's own way for the snes. You can't really attack enemies by swinging your sword. You have to line up the your right and left arms with the enemy in order to attack. It's a little harder than it seems, because the enemies do move quite fast and if you position yourself in the middle of the enemy if you aren't leveled. You will get beat.

So yeah, I've only played about an hour of this game, if anybody else is interested. I say give it a whirl. Some of you might have already played it.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

I'll stick with The Ark of Napishtim, thanks. Having to align your character with minute detail is not my thing.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Any decent Ys fan prefers this system over the zelda-esque thing it has become in the latest instalments. You sucking at it is about as surprising as this thread is interesting.
You're only 20 years late, after all.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Mark57Raider
Regular

Post by Mark57Raider »

Well the thing is, is that I'm really not much of a Ys fan. I only played like an hour or so of Ys 4 : Mask of the Sun. I am however a Ys: Ark of Napishtim fan. That game owned zelda in every aspect. I guess super nintendo games really aren't much good to talk about here. Except if they are super popular ones like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 3. So yeah I haven't really gotten all that far in Ys 3 or Ys 4. About to the Blue Demon Boss in 3 and Wind Village in 4.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Mark57Raider wrote:I guess super nintendo games really aren't much good to talk about here. Except if they are super popular ones like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 3.
Nah, it's all about posting something actually interesting, not really a console/popularity issue.
If you're that desperate to force interest, you can coat your post with a thin layer of fanboism and sprinkle with consummate opinions, but that might attract the bad kind of attention. ^_^;
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Blasingame
Hazed

Post by Blasingame »

I like the music in the game, but the whole running your character into the enemy is weird. I hope YS V gets translated soon, would love to pick that up.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Blasingame wrote:I hope YS V gets translated soon
It remained in japanese long enough for me to try at it, meet failure, finish other games, play ToP, eat enough rice to roughly understand stuffs, finish ToP and other games, eventually go back at it and finish it, and it's still in japanese.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Mark57Raider
Regular

Post by Mark57Raider »

The games I'd like to see translated is Ganbare Goemon 2, Super Chinese World 2 and Star Ocean: Blue Sphere. If you're wondering Super Chinese World 2 is the sequel to Super Ninja Boy for the Super NES. Man that would be great to see that beat em up rpg translated so I could understand what I'm supposed to do instead of just going randomly about the world map beating up enemies. And yeah Ys: 4 is weird in that you have to run into your enemy to damage it.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Mark57Raider wrote:And yeah Ys: 4 is weird in that you have to run into your enemy to damage it.
... what part did you miss ? This is Ys standard.
The weird ones are the games where you have to slash to attack (even if they seemingly permanently switched to that method).

Fucking kids not knowing shit about old game series.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

I find it more fun the new way. Naphistim is entertaining.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Metatron wrote:I find it more fun the new way. Naphistim is entertaining.
Oh, it is. Not saying one way is better than the other.
Just pointing out that saying it's weird is silly.

Like saying final fantasy 4 sucks because it has no materia.

Oh, and it's Napishtim.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

...But Final Fantasy 4 does suck because it has no Espers/Jobs/Materia/Junctioning/Special Ability Equipment.

Aahhahahaha.

...What? I find FF4 comparatively dull!
Mark57Raider
Regular

Post by Mark57Raider »

You also forgot sphere and license grid also... If you've played final fantasy 10 and final fantasy 12. Well I guess you're right about final fantasy 4 seeming "too" ordinary. In the way that you gain spells and crap by just leveling up.
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

I actually didn't mind the fact the ff4 was "dull". I like rpg's I can get straight into rather then having to read tonnes of documentation about how to do limit breaks properly or what armor to equip to learn Ultima or worse yet, how many times I have to perform a spell to learn it's upgraded form(damn you secret of mana).
Mark57Raider
Regular

Post by Mark57Raider »

Cigar Face wrote: I like rpg's I can get straight into rather then having to read tonnes of documentation about how to do limit breaks properly
So when do you have to read lots of documents to get limit breaks to work properly? Limit Breaks are easy to pull off.

CigarFace wrote:or what armor to equip to learn Ultima
I think you are trying to refer to final fantasy 9. And there is no Ultima Spell you can learn in that. Only Kuja uses it.

oops my bad, didn't mean to double post.
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

Mark57Raider wrote: So when do you have to read lots of documents to get limit breaks to work properly? Limit Breaks are easy to pull off.
I meant Getting the lion heart, getting all the combat king magazines etc, not actually using limit breaks :roll:

Mark57Raider wrote: I think you are trying to refer to final fantasy 9. And there is no Ultima Spell you can learn in that. Only Kuja uses it.

oops my bad, didn't mean to double post.
No, I was referring to FF6.
doktor_kris
Lurker

Post by doktor_kris »

Ys IV is a fine game alongside with Ys V Expert, IMO. The Ark of
Napishtem is also a marvellous game, and especially nice when it
comes to the music department.
clessoulis
Regular

Post by clessoulis »

You know they've made 2 mroe ys's games after Arc right guys.

A remake of 3 felgahna
And then Ys6 orgins which has multiple characters to choose from.