bsnes v0.031 released

Archived bsnes development news, feature requests and bug reports. Forum is now located at http://board.byuu.org/
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

Thank you for the picture, though.
I bring the trouble.
etabeta
Rookie

Post by etabeta »

and if you need an italian translation, just ask ;)

it would be time to give back something
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Franky wrote:Yes, I'm a retard.
a retard going to college for computer science, math, and physics?

:o :shock:
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

Franky wrote: The screenshot byuu showed was bsnes running on linux.
I thought it was on XP, but either way, my question was how to get XP to display Japanese characters in programs such as emulators.
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
Verdauga Greeneyes
Regular

Post by Verdauga Greeneyes »

Franky wrote:I just meant that say you wanted to translate a peice of text in the UI (like "file", "misc", "speed regulation", or whatever), just use google's translator.
so if you wanted to translate the ui to spanish, get everything in the ui that's in english, and put it through google's translator to get the spanish word.
I wouldn't recommend it. You should see the Dutch translation of nvidia's control panel, advanced settings (I always use the English version so I only saw it recently).. completely incomprehensible, in my opinion. I very much doubt they had a Dutch person do it.
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

adventure_of_link wrote:
Franky wrote:Yes, I'm a retard.
a retard going to college for computer science, math, and physics?

:o :shock:
I was only joking (just playing on when others called me stupid because I didn't really care what they think. I'm not actually stupid, just crazy and immature >_> ).
byuu

Post by byuu »

Well, that was certainly a pain in the ass ...

Had to port hiro to full-on Unicode / UTF-16. But the GUI API still takes UTF-8, it's all converted internally now, bidirectionally.

Oh, and don't make fun of my Japanese :P

---

As for the new WIP, I've included my example locale.cfg. No other lines will translate, so don't try yet. You need to put it in the .bsnes folder next to bsnes.cfg. And don't try it unless you have Japanese fonts, obviously.
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

neo_bahamut1985 wrote:
I thought it was on XP, but either way, my question was how to get XP to display Japanese characters in programs such as emulators.
Hi,

If the emu supports unicode. Right click on desktop->Properties->Appearance->Advanced->Select 'Menu' from the 'Item' drop down list-> Change font to MS Mincho (or some other that supports Japanese). Now load the emu select the Japanese language translation from it. You can similarly change the font of other items as well. Thats how I do it.

stay safe,

AamirM
Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

...or use NJstar
that was my method to display (whatever) far-eastern character from its various encoding (shift-JIS, UTF, etc...)
Verdauga Greeneyes
Regular

byuu wrote:As for the new WIP, I've included my example locale.cfg. No other lines will translate, so don't try yet. You need to put it in the .bsnes folder next to bsnes.cfg. And don't try it unless you have Japanese fonts, obviously.
Hmm, "Load BS-X Slotted Cartridge" is a tough one. Best I can come up with is "Laad BS-X Gegleufde Cassette" or some such (which looks kinda silly to me). What do those Cartridges look like anyway? (as opposed to normal BS-X Cartridges)

Other tough ones are "Load Special", "Unload Cartridge", "Reset", "Power Cycle", "Exit" and "Log Audio Data"..
augnober
Rookie

Post by augnober »

neo_bahamut1985 wrote:
To my knowledge, after installing East Asian language support in Windows, I've never had a problem with Unicode programs. The ones that cause trouble are the ones that assume a non-Western region-specific codepage. To get those to work, my solution has always been to go into the control panel, into the region settings, and set the default codepage to the language concerned (if I remember correctly, you may also see a note about extending language support to applications that are not written to support it - you probably want to do this as well). As of a few years ago, I believe the encoding typically used by Japanese applications was Shift-JIS (some languages have more than one encoding standard, so you need to guess which one the text is encoded with). Unfortunately, it requires a reboot each time you change this setting, and having the system set to certain codepages can cause the occasional glitch when viewing Western text, and even occasional crashes or install problems for naively-written applications which assume a Western codepage (for example, non-Unicode programs that use "ö" in a data file or directory name).

On Vista, I believe the setting is in Control Panel->Regional and Language Options->Keyboards and Languages->Display Language. I'm not on XP right now, so I can't check that.
Verdauga Greeneyes
Regular

augnober wrote:Unfortunately, it requires a reboot each time you change this setting, and having the system set to certain codepages can cause the occasional glitch when viewing Western text, and even occasional crashes or install problems for naively-written applications which assume a Western codepage (for example, non-Unicode programs that use "ö" in a data file or directory name).
You can also use Microsoft's AppLocale to set the locale for specific programs. This program also allows you to make shortcuts to these programs that use the specified locale by default.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

byuu wrote:How good thought, Franki? As for me Google' It is possible to use; In order the translation equipment where s is automated, to make margin and bsnes concentrate which are rubbed from the actual people! I can' t predicts the problem of this thought at all!
<3 babelgrish
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Hey, Byuu, don't worry, your Japanese is really good (and yes I can read all of the Japanese on that menu just fine). BTW, how do you get XP to display unicode-16/Japanese?
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Have you even read the posts that provided answers to your question ?

Obviously not.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
augnober
Rookie

Post by augnober »

Verdauga Greeneyes wrote:
augnober wrote:Unfortunately, it requires a reboot each time you change this setting, and having the system set to certain codepages can cause the occasional glitch when viewing Western text, and even occasional crashes or install problems for naively-written applications which assume a Western codepage (for example, non-Unicode programs that use "ö" in a data file or directory name).
You can also use Microsoft's AppLocale to set the locale for specific programs. This program also allows you to make shortcuts to these programs that use the specified locale by default.
I never knew about that. I'll try it next time :)
byuu

Post by byuu »

Localization is getting closer to completion.

Luckily, I found a page by z_adorer that translated a lot of the bsnes GUI options into Japanese. Full credit goes to him for most of the new stuff, and some corrections to the old stuff.

I'm having trouble with the rest, though. This is what I have left, anyone feel like translating it to Japanese for me? :/

"When emulation window does not have focus:"
"Allow input"
"Ignore input"
"Pause emulation"
"Default game ROM path:"
"Auto-detect file compression type (ignore file extension)"
"Default UPS patch path:"
"Bypass CRC32 patch validation (not recommended)"
"Default save RAM path:"
"Default cheat file path:"
"Select"
"Set"
"Default"
"Add Code"
"Toggle Status"
"Delete Code"
"Base cartridge:"
"Slot cartridge:"
"Browse"

I can get some of them, just got kind of worn out. The longer strings are obviously the harder ones. Please point out any mistakes in the current translation as well if you can.

Also, I updated the icon to FitzRoy's latest one. Hopefully this one will fix Win2k for good.

Lastly, anyone still have questions pending that I skipped over? Please repost and I'll try and answer.
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Ah, crap. No, I didn't even know about the responses...my bad!
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

"Sepia" is easier to translate than "Select"? :/

Both the auto-detect and bypass options are sort of pointless, might save you the headache to get rid of them.

Also, there has to be a simpler way to change the language than moving around cfg files. I imagine this is even more a pain in the ass due to the fact that the cfg file is buried in a hidden folder in Windows. Why oh why did I not put up more of a fight when this was first suggested.

1. Flash drives have made the read-only media argument moot. And as if a computer exists without a USB port that is also capable of running bsnes.
2. It's far easier to simply create customized duplicates of the program for Nach's niche argument than dicking with OS-level user accounts.
3. If I delete bsnes, it's leaving a remnant of itself somewhere. Even more egregious if someone is using bsnes on someone else's computer or at work and doesn't realize this.
4. Not all options are in the advanced menu anymore, meaning that only deleting the cfg file can return them to their default state. Inconvenient where it's currently at.
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Not perfect, but an attempt...

"When emulation window does not have focus:" エミュレーションウィンドが焦
点がない時
"Allow input" 入力を許す
"Ignore input" 入力を無視する
"Pause emulation" エミュレーションを停止
"Default game ROM path:" 初期ゲームロム所
"Auto-detect file compression type (ignore file extension)"ファイル圧縮の
拡張を自動検出
"Default UPS patch path:" 初期のUPSパッチ所
"Bypass CRC32 patch validation (not recommended)" CRC32の検証を無視する
(無必要)
"Default save RAM path:" 初期のSRAMの所
"Default cheat file path:" 初期のチットコードの所
"Select" 選ぶ
"Set" 設定
"Default" 初期
"Add Code" コードを増える
"Toggle Status" ステータスをオンに
"Delete Code" コードを消す
"Base cartridge:" ベースカートリッジ
"Slot cartridge:" スロットカートリッジ
"Browse" 閲覧する
Verdauga Greeneyes
Regular

byuu wrote:Lastly, anyone still have questions pending that I skipped over? Please repost and I'll try and answer.
Well, I have several translation-related ones, but I'll do a full post on that when I get back from my exam. The main one is: what's the difference between 'BS-X Cartridge' and 'BS-X Slotted Cartridge'? There's no direct translation that really works and I've never seen the two compared (in uh, any way :P)
byuu

Post by byuu »

"Sepia" is easier to translate than "Select"? :/
As I was saying, those were all the remaining strings, not all the ones I was unable to translate. The ones I couldn't were mostly the long sentences :P

Basically, the rest would require a few dictionary checks. Just ran out of energy for tonight is all.
Also, there has to be a simpler way to change the language than moving around cfg files.
I agree, the language selection mechanism sucks. It's just a proof of concept for now until we come up with something better.
I imagine this is even more a pain in the ass due to the fact that the cfg file is buried in a hidden folder in Windows. Why oh why did I not put up more of a fight when this was first suggested.
In Linux, binaries are placed in /usr/bin. No user data goes there, and the folder itself lacks write capabilities (unless you're root, or go crazy with chown.) Put simply, the config file cannot exist in the same folder as the binary.

I standardized on a common location for all platforms for the sake of consistency. I realize it's very unpopular on Windows. But maybe we can come up with something ... I suppose it'd be easy enough to allow the user to place a config file next to the executable, and use that if it exists. Otherwise, fall back on the .bsnes/bsnes.cfg file. If both do not exist, prompt the user with an "initial setup" window of sorts. Meh, who knows.
Not perfect, but an attempt...
Thanks, I'll work on getting the rest in this weekend.

One thing I noticed real quick, settei means "setting", and is a noun. I don't think it can really be translated as "set" also, right? They kind of have different meaning, at least in English. Plus, you'd probably really want a verb here. Something like "to assign," and use the gerund form -te or something. I know I used a lot of nouns in my UI where I shouldn't have.

Heh, really need to get a native speaker to translate the UI. Just need a "proof of concept" translation, and I'm sadly monolingual.
The main one is: what's the difference between 'BS-X Cartridge' and 'BS-X Slotted Cartridge'?
BS-X cartridge is the actual Broadcast Satellaview cart, that you connect small flash carts into to play games. There's only one such cart, so it saves the cart ROM file path. It acts as a "BIOS" of sorts.

BS-X slotted cartridge is just a cart with a slot for BS-X flash carts. Lots of games take advantage of data on those carts, and use them for extra storage and stuff like that. There's lots of games like this: RPG Tsukuru 2, Sound Novel Tsukuru, Derby Stallion 96, etc. But these are all actual games, and don't really use the BS base unit at all, nor do they have all of the extra hardware that's inside the BS main cart, mentioned above.
Jipcy
Veteran

Post by Jipcy »

Perhaps Tomato can help?
[url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net]Official ZSNES Docs[/url] | [url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net/nsrt]NSRT Guide[/url] | [url=http://endoftransmission.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=394]Using a Wiimote w/ emulators[/url]
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Hmm. Maybe "Set" 指定する or 指定して...?
byuu

Post by byuu »

Hmm, trying to think of a way to handle the config file stuff. How about distributing bsnes/win32 with bsnes.cfg. The app will see that file, and use that as the config path. If it doesn't exist, then it falls back on the user's home directory.

Only problem is it's a bit mysterious to people who don't know how it works. If they delete the config file, they won't see it come back, yet the emulator will keep saving their settings.

As for the locales, I'd really prefer not to support dynamic swapping of languages. That'd take a lot of work. So that kind of rules out a menubar entry with options, plus it'd probably be a small challenge to find the language option in a GUI when you can't read any of the options to find it, too.

It's probably best to just stick with it looking for one locale.cfg, and using that at startup. I can make it look for that file next to the main EXE, as well as in the user's home directory. Change the license to allow distribution of modified locale.cfg files, so people can pre-package in the language of their choice and such. Linux packages can handle moving the locale file during installation.

Then again, I've been wanting a way to assign video/audio/input drivers from the program itself for a long time ... a first-run "setup" screen would work well, and could allow language selection as well ...
Perhaps Tomato can help?
I'd prefer not to bug anyone directly. Tomato especially is very busy with Mother 3 at the moment. I'll just post something on my website and see if anyone volunteers.