bsnes v0.031 released

Archived bsnes development news, feature requests and bug reports. Forum is now located at http://board.byuu.org/
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

henke37 wrote:Well, I think I did a fair job on the translation.
Indeed you did. I have some opinions and nitpicks though:

"Ladda BS-X kassett" Should be "Ladda BS-X-kassett", it may look a bit weird but otherwise it would be a särskrivning :P The same goes for the other ones too of course.

"Power Cycle" can be Strömbrytare (Power Switch) (or Strömkrets for a more literal translation) I think.

Videofilter -> "Inget"

"Scanline" can remain Scanline.

"Standard inställning" > "Standardinställning"

"When emulation window does not have focus:", I'm not sure how to translate this right really, but right now I don't think it really gets the idea across. "När emulationsfönster/fönstret ej har fokus" perhaps? (LOL, board filter)

"Tillåt kontroll" > "Tillåt input", dunno, maybe it doesn't matter.
Assign/Unassign key = Ange/Fria knapp?

"bsnes tangent fångare" = "bsnes knappfångare" Actually I have no idea what this does.

"Tryck på en knapp att tilldela $ ..." (forgot the ellipsis)

"ROM sökväg:" > "Standard sökväg för ROM:"

"Autodetektera komprimering (ignorerar filändelse)" > "Autodetektera komprimeringstyp (ignorerar filändelse)"

"UPS patch sökväg:" > "Standard sökväg för UPS-patch:"
"SRAM sökväg:" > "standard sökväg för SRAM:"
"Fuskfilsökväg:" > "Standard sökväg för fuskfil:" (these are all mainly for consistency)

"Bas kassett:" > "Bas-kassett:"
"Jack kassett:" > "Jack-kassett:"
"Jack A kassett:" > "Jack A-kassett:"
"Jack B kassett:" > "Jack B-kassett:"

"Ej stött chip detekterat" > "Chippet $ stöds inte" Or something, the $ has to be included at least I think.

"Om Bsnes" > "Om bsnes ..."

Again; sweet job.
Last edited by Johan_H on Mon May 19, 2008 10:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.
F-3582
Rookie

Post by F-3582 »

creaothceann wrote:Alternativvorschläge
Good ideas, thanks a lot. I'll consider most of them, except for these, probably:

"Disabled" - I think, "Deaktiviert" sounds a little better.

"Gamma ramp" - How about "Farbverstärkung"? I'd also like to change "Gamma" to "Gammakorrektur".

"Log Audio Data" - I think I found a better one here: "Tonausgabe mitschneiden", because translating logging into saving sounds a little crude, in my opinion.

"When emulation window does not have focus:" - your translation sounds a little too literal, to be honest. I'd really like to go with my version.

"Reset System" - Zurücksetzen might sound a little antiquated, but at least it's a German word, ain't it?

"Power Cycle System" - Does that key really just interrupt the power for a short while? I don't know, since the Mac version doesn't seem to offer this.

"Toggle Status" - what does this do? Again, I can't check.

"string", "integer" - I think that those don't need to be translated. It would only make them sound awkward. Even Windows programs like regedit don't have them translated, if I recall correctly.

"<current value>" - I had a reason for writing that stuff in caps: byuu wrote it in small letters, even though everything else begins with a capital letter, so I figured that this was somehow intended. However, writing nouns in small letters is not an option in German, so I chose ALL CAPS, instead.

"Set" - byuu wrote this with a capital letter, and so will I.

Version 1.02 uploaded.
byuu

Post by byuu »

$ inserts a string, eg the special chip name or the controller button identifier.
However, writing nouns in small letters is not an option in German, so I chose ALL CAPS, instead.
Silly. Just capitalize the first letter then, I suppose. I just lower case it because it's not really supposed to be anything but a description of what's supposed to go into a textbox.
F-3582
Rookie

Post by F-3582 »

byuu wrote:Silly. Just capitalize the first letter then, I suppose. I just lower case it because it's not really supposed to be anything but a description of what's supposed to go into a textbox.
Aye aye. Version 1.03 is ready. I hope I didn't delete anything, this time...
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

F-3582 wrote:"Disabled" - I think, "Deaktiviert" sounds a little better.
Yep. Although personally, I like it lowercased since it's not in a sentence and not a noun or name.
F-3582 wrote:"Gamma ramp" - How about "Farbverstärkung"?
Sure, single words sound better here.
F-3582 wrote:I'd also like to change "Gamma" to "Gammakorrektur".
Agreed. (Though it's only a correction if the slider is not at the default position. :wink: )
F-3582 wrote:"Log Audio Data" - I think I found a better one here: "Tonausgabe mitschneiden", because translating logging into saving sounds a little crude, in my opinion.
I don't like the word "schneiden" ("cut") because usually it means that something is removed (and we're adding something here) - but yes, it's the word used for these purposes.
I've translated it with "saving" because that's what the function does: the data is not used for anything else, it's just dumped to disk.
F-3582 wrote:"When emulation window does not have focus:" - your translation sounds a little too literal, to be honest.
Well, that's what it does, and even how it's used in application manuals, afaik.
A window has a special property (the active control) which is usually called "focus", and there can be only one (just as there can only be one active window).
F-3582 wrote:"Reset System" - Zurücksetzen might sound a little antiquated, but at least it's a German word, ain't it?
I didn't try to translate every single word - I think everybody who knows what a "Reset-Schalter" is wouldn't have problems with it.
F-3582 wrote:"Power Cycle System" - Does that key really just interrupt the power for a short while? I don't know, since the Mac version doesn't seem to offer this.
The Reset button doesn't reset the entire SNES - some games use that to save some info beyond a reset. bsnes' "power cycle" function simulates a "full" reset, clearing the RAM etc.
F-3582 wrote:"Toggle Status" - what does this do? Again, I can't check.
It turns the cheat on or off, depending on its status.
F-3582 wrote:"string", "integer" - I think that those don't need to be translated. It would only make them sound awkward. Even Windows programs like regedit don't have them translated, if I recall correctly.
Alright.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
byuu

Post by byuu »

Okay, new WIP. Couple of changes.

One, I was displaying the warning message about unsupported chips no matter what. Oops, fixed.

Two, removed the "Select Folder" text. The dialog looks a bit empty now, but oh well.

Three, added "Ok" to the warning message box strings.

Four, added "Enabled" to the cheat editor strings. You'll notice that "Disabled" is not there -- it's shared by the speed regulation setting. I know, sharing strings sucks, but that's pretty much how the localization system works, sorry. You can use something simple like "On" / "Off" in place of "Enabled" / "Disabled", if necessary.

Also updated the locale.cfg file for everyone:
http://byuu.cinnamonpirate.com/temp/locale.cfg
F-3582
Rookie

Post by F-3582 »

creaothceann wrote:
F-3582 wrote:"Reset System" - Zurücksetzen might sound a little antiquated, but at least it's a German word, ain't it?
I didn't try to translate every single word - I think everybody who knows what a "Reset-Schalter" is wouldn't have problems with it.
F-3582 wrote:"Power Cycle System" - Does that key really just interrupt the power for a short while? I don't know, since the Mac version doesn't seem to offer this.
The Reset button doesn't reset the entire SNES - some games use that to save some info beyond a reset. bsnes' "power cycle" function simulates a "full" reset, clearing the RAM etc.
Could we agree on "Warmstart" and "Kaltstart"? If not, I'll change it to your ideas.
henke37
Lurker

Post by henke37 »

Johan_H, think you can maintain the translation for me? I think I will pass since I don't have a real host right now.
But i agree fully with all your comments.

Btw, the catcher string is the window title of the window used when configuring the keyboard input.

And maybe that Kallstart suggestion the german translation is discusing could be used for swedish too? Darn tricky that one.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

F-3582 wrote:Could we agree on "Warmstart" and "Kaltstart"?
That seems to be the best solution.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

creaothceann wrote:
Hard reset, power cycle, - whatever the heck you want to call it - is a myth perpetuated by modern emulator authors who don't understand that with power functions automatically performed by rom loading, reloading the rom accomplishes the exact same thing.
ShadowFX
Regular

Post by ShadowFX »

Updated to Dutch v1.04, based on v0.031 WIP12.
[i]"Change is inevitable; progress is optional"[/i]
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

FitzRoy wrote:Hard reset, power cycle, - whatever the heck you want to call it - is a myth perpetuated by modern emulator authors who don't understand that with power functions automatically performed by rom loading, reloading the rom accomplishes the exact same thing.
Yes, but the menu option makes it faster - especially if there's no "recent games" list.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

creaothceann wrote:
FitzRoy wrote:Hard reset, power cycle, - whatever the heck you want to call it - is a myth perpetuated by modern emulator authors who don't understand that with power functions automatically performed by rom loading, reloading the rom accomplishes the exact same thing.
Yes, but the menu option makes it faster - especially if there's no "recent games" list.
Faster than actual "Reset"?
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Huh? I meant that the menu option "power cycle" is faster to use than finding and reloading the ROM.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

Right, but who would need that? I'm just trying to find the person needing the convenience of changing the power state on a loaded rom several times each minute, as you surely can't be for its inclusion to save an average of 8 seconds every hour.
Last edited by FitzRoy on Tue May 20, 2008 5:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Who needs accuracy ?
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
byuu

Post by byuu »

Right, but who would need that?
I use it quite a bit when running test ROMs, as it provides a clean, consistent startup state. Whereas soft reset does not. Now, given, I probably don't need to do this for most cases. Especially not my own programs, as I can get them to a consistent state by hand. But it still helps with other games and such (eg Death Brade and Super Power Drive.)

Honestly, I just don't see the problem. It's just one small option in the UI. Do we really want to turn bsnes into a GNOME application with zero configuration options that might confuse novices? Not saying it needs to be KDE, either. Just a sane compromise between the two.
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

We may have debated this before, so before this degenerates into further questioning, let's just be aware of the cost as we struggle to find a benefit to weigh it against: a user is being presented with two different options which appear to be doing the same thing. Some will perceive redundancy, others will infer that there is a difference, and not knowing what it is, wonder if they're using the right one. Either scenario is created by this and needless, IMO.

Edit: beat me to it, byuu. If you think it's worth it for development, that's a good reason.
F-3582
Rookie

Post by F-3582 »

FitzRoy wrote:We may have debated this before, so before this degenerates into further questioning, let's just be aware of the cost as we struggle to find a benefit to weigh it against: a user is being presented with two different options which appear to be doing the same thing. Some will perceive redundancy, others will infer that there is a difference, and not knowing what it is, wonder if they're using the right one. Either scenario is created by this and needless, IMO.

Edit: beat me to it, byuu
Err... I recall one game that had a funny glitch when soft-resetting it:

Sonic 2 (not SNES-related) forgets to clear up a part of the memory where it stores the Chaos Emeralds you collect. Just start a game from the option menu (this is important) and you'll be able to be Super Sonic in the first act. Neat.

So, yes, there should be a difference, even if it sounds redundant. However, you might wanna call those options "Soft Reset" and "Hard Reset", instead. Less confusion.

EDIT: Version 1.04 ready.
Last edited by F-3582 on Tue May 20, 2008 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

henke37 wrote:Johan_H, think you can maintain the translation for me? I think I will pass since I don't have a real host right now.
But i agree fully with all your comments.
I don't have a host either :(
Rapidshare will have to do for now. I changed the things I commented + a few other things.
We need a better solution than "Ladda BS-X-Jackkassett" I think, and I'm not sure about

"Reset System" = "Starta om System"
"Power Cycle System" = "System Strömbrytare"
Please tell me if there's anything else you think looks wrong.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

FitzRoy wrote:let's just be aware of the cost as we struggle to find a benefit to weigh it against: a user is being presented with two different options which appear to be doing the same thing. Some will perceive redundancy, others will infer that there is a difference, and not knowing what it is, wonder if they're using the right one.
It could be named "Reset" and "Full Reset", for example. And there's always the documentation.

Seriously, you need to stop arguing with me on this. :D
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
byuu

Post by byuu »

Edit: beat me to it, byuu. If you think it's worth it for development, that's a good reason.
Well, don't get me wrong, I'm open to majority opinion. I can hide the option ... the best I can think of is a "development" mode that enables a bunch of otherwise hidden features. Power cycle could be one of them.

Anyway, with all the translations underway, v032 is pretty much a done deal. But we can make this change for v033+.
However, you might wanna call those options "Soft Reset" and "Hard Reset", instead. Less confusion.
How in the world is that less confusing? The SNES has only one reset button. Reset and power cycle are pretty clear as to what hardware function they represent. Neither describe what effects actually occur in-game as a result of the options.
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

F-3582 wrote:
FitzRoy wrote:We may have debated this before, so before this degenerates into further questioning, let's just be aware of the cost as we struggle to find a benefit to weigh it against: a user is being presented with two different options which appear to be doing the same thing. Some will perceive redundancy, others will infer that there is a difference, and not knowing what it is, wonder if they're using the right one. Either scenario is created by this and needless, IMO.

Edit: beat me to it, byuu
Err... I recall one game that had a funny glitch when soft-resetting it:

Sonic 2 (not SNES-related) forgets to clear up a part of the memory where it stores the Chaos Emeralds you collect. Just start a game from the option menu (this is important) and you'll be able to be Super Sonic in the first act. Neat.

So, yes, there should be a difference, even if it sounds redundant. However, you might wanna call those options "Soft Reset" and "Hard Reset", instead. Less confusion.
No, I'm not questioning regular "Reset." That stays. I'm questioning power cycle, and I know this is one of the hardest things to do, but make yourself stupid to your own knowledge for a moment and pretend you're an average Joe. Not an ubernerd like us who who pecks about on the zsnes forum all day, who knows obscure behaviorial differences in a few titles when using soft reset. You do nothing by changing the name to soft and hard. They're still doing the same thing to him and the resulting scenarios stand.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

FitzRoy wrote:make yourself stupid to your own knowledge for a moment and pretend you're an average Joe.
The question then becomes: do you want to help average Joes remain ignorant ?
Cause removing the option would sure do so.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

But power cycle isn't going to tell them. We on these forums are going to have to answer the inquiries its existence generates (presuming they bother, it may just cause them to wonder). If it was something important, I'd be delighted, but chances are they just wasted time registering to find out something which doesn't affect them. So in this case, ignorance is bliss, because it honestly isn't that important for them to know. What are they going to do after finding out that soft reset doesn't clear out certain sections of ram? Nothing. 99.999% of games don't act any different with a soft reset. If they have the desire to know this behavior, they'll find it on a gamefaq or something for a game which does have quirks. Better that than here.