New burner or nero sux...

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

ReRuss
Trooper

New burner or nero sux...

Post by ReRuss »

I've tried burning a few DVDs lately , some movies , some just data

I keep getting failures , and when I look a the bottom of the disc , it looks like vinyls...
[img]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/ReRuss/UBAR.gif[/img]
360 and PS3 - ReRuss
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Most likely your burner. Nero works like a charm for me.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
ReRuss
Trooper

Post by ReRuss »

think I need a new one

nothin is workin fr burning
360 and PS3 - ReRuss
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

This issue is usually a combo with your burner+media not working well together. The burning software is usually not the problem.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

If your paying, why not use DVDFab? it is software that aims at copying movie dvd's.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

There are still problems with burners and media not playing well together? I wish tech support or I would have thought of that sooner. I returned 1 laptop 24 hours after purchasing it due to the inability to burn dvds of any type. Though CDs worked just fine.
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

Maybe try something like ImgBurn or DVDFab Platinum; works like a charm for me. Or, maybe as an absolute last resort, Windows built-in burner...? I don't really like Nero all that much, but you don't have to use anything else; this is only my opinion.
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
MisterJones
Trooper

Post by MisterJones »

What brand of DVD discs are you using? My burner won't fare well with Imation, for example.
_-|-_
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

SquareHead wrote:There are still problems with burners and media not playing well together? I wish tech support or I would have thought of that sooner. I returned 1 laptop 24 hours after purchasing it due to the inability to burn dvds of any type. Though CDs worked just fine.
It's still true. Even the CD burning sites would tell you the same.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

SquareHead wrote:inability to burn dvds of any type. Though CDs worked just fine.
probably because it was a CD burner and not a DVD one, lulz
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
ReRuss
Trooper

Post by ReRuss »

Ritek/Ridata , always -R , never RW , drive is aboot 4yrs , 1000+ DVDs wriiten in some form...

This is pretty much what discs are looking like from the bottom when
they're done , darker shades being the written data

360 and PS3 - ReRuss
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

grinvader wrote:
SquareHead wrote:inability to burn dvds of any type. Though CDs worked just fine.
I actually had the dvd writing capabliities of one of my DVD burners fail. Basically, cd and dvd burning use different lasers, so one can burn out and the other work.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

badinsults wrote:
grinvader wrote:
I actually had the dvd writing capabliities of one of my DVD burners fail. Basically, cd and dvd burning use different lasers, so one can burn out and the other work.
Why was my first thought after reading that "Like the PS2."
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Why was my first thought after reading that "Like the PS2."
Because great minds think alike.

</had to buy a ps2slim because the first-gen ps2 couldn't read CDs anymore and Disgaea happened>
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
whicker
Trooper

Post by whicker »

I used to freak out when people were like, "yeah, my PS2 stopped reading disks so I threw it into the dumpster and bought a new one".

The reason was of course the availability of replacement parts and the ease of fixing it.

Now I'm like, meh. It's your money. Second meh, you wouldn't pay me back anything for fixing it anyways.
Cyrus
Trooper

Post by Cyrus »

I had the exact same thing happen and I thought the DVDs were crap quality since the DVD burner was only two months old or something but after trying some different DVDs it turned out the burner had indeed crapped out. I bought a new burner and problem solved. A good burner is only around $40 these days anyway unless you want a Blu-Ray burner, in that case you get a piece of shit on a stick for $500-$1200. I hope the prices on those drop soon.
whicker
Trooper

Post by whicker »

prices will drop, but personally with me getting older and more impatient, I basically just pay the early adoption penalty fee for the things I need (which there aren't very many things I need).

And since I keep devices basically until there is no hope of fixing it, the cost gets amortized over the entire time period.
SquareHead
Veteran

Post by SquareHead »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
badinsults wrote:
grinvader wrote:
Why was my first thought after reading that "Like the PS2."
Turned out it was a bum drive. The replacement works with all of my media quite well. It likes maxell the best but i have a ton of phillips media around in both + and - flavors. Not a fan of imation, the discs dont seem to keep well.