Game_Music_Emu plugin for Winamp

Announce new emulators, discuss which games run best under each emulator, and much much more.

Moderator: General Mods

franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

http://www.mediafire.com/?wrdzztmjbmw

This SPC file ends 3 seconds earlier then it should. It ends in 4 seconds instead of 7 seconds.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

This SPC file ends 3 seconds earlier then it should. It ends in 4 seconds instead of 7 seconds.
Works great here...
I hope you're using GME's built-in silence detection, which looks ahead for silence (up to 20 seconds for GBS), avoiding either a long pause at the end, or cutting songs off too early by only waiting for 2 seconds of silence (which several songs have). Just use gme_track_ended() to tell when a track has ended naturally or due to detection of silence.
I am using gme_track_ended() :wink: See the uploaded file. Before, I used a custom silence detection algorithm to check for silence in subsong based files. Now, I am simply using your function.
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

If I may make a request, I think it'd be spiffy to make a custom formatting field option available if you could, mudlord. I don't think this plugin works with Winamp's default title formatter. I'm an odd one who doesn't like artist names on his music playlists. Even if it is God Soule.
This will be in the next beta. I need to fix up some final issues before the next release.
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

This plugin sounds interesting as a replacement for SNESAmp,but I'd like to know if the accuracy of GB and NES emulation is on par with the latest versions of NEZPlug (the gold standard for standard NES and GB emulation) and NotSoFatso UFMix (currently has the best emulation of Famicom special chips).
[i]Have a nice kick in da nutz[/i] @~@* c//
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

I haven't done much testing with NSF playback. blargg will know of course about the capabilities of GME.
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

Sorry about the corrupted installer, will upload a fresh beta when I can. The next beta is in testing and shouldn't be too long (about today or tomorrow).

I apologize again for the inconvenience.
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

Huh?

The installer was OK for me.
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

Was corrupted for me, but meh. :P Easily fixed.
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

Mine was corrupted, too, so, I can wait. It's all good.
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

Uploaded.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

In order for me to get that song to work I have to enable the Plays Forever and Ignore Silence options.

Enabling the Ignore Silence function alone makes the song end upon reaching 3 seconds.

Enabling the Plays Forever has no impact and will still end at 4 seconds unless I also use Ignore Silence

VGMStream plugin r155
64th Note v1.2 beta 3
Highly Experimental PSF1/PSF2 Player v2.09
MGME 0.5 beta 3

Direct Sound output with all buffers doubled.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
blargg
Regular

Post by blargg »

Enabling the Ignore Silence function alone makes the song end upon reaching 3 seconds.
I wonder if this is another issue with the playback program not finishing playing its internal audio buffer when it gets an early signal from the plugin that the track has ended. They had this issue in Audacious too, since it involves the length of the track not being known ahead of time, unlike with other formats like mp3 where it's always known. I wouldn't be surprised if it occurred on only some hardware as well.

Here's something to try, if the tracks are cutting off when playing back through speakers: enable the DiskWriter (or equivalent) and try recording the track to disk, then see if that is cut off the same way. I'll have to get with mudlord to resolve this.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

I think your right or close to the answer. Setting the buffer to the default 2000/500/500ms results in the file playing properly with out any advanced options ticked in the MGME plugin.

doubling them means the file ends prematurely.
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

Thanks for letting me know.
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

Out of curiousity, what would be the best sound frequency to pick? I mean, I know the SNES plays at about 22050 Hz if I recall, but I'm not sure if, say, the Genesis does.

Wonderful plugin by the way. It was quite satisfying to replace a bunch of old plugins with it.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

The snes is about 32040hz. It varies though by small amounts.
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

AFAIK, it hasn't exactly been pinned down. I know AntiRes did some research on the frequency, but it is somewhere between 32000Hz and 32040Hz.

The closest setting should be 32Khz for the SNES. Frequencies above 48khz won't be added.
Wonderful plugin by the way. It was quite satisfying to replace a bunch of old plugins with it.
Glad you like it :wink:
blargg
Regular

Post by blargg »

The closest setting should be 32Khz for the SNES. Frequencies above 48khz won't be added.
GME automatically uses its own internal good quality FIR resampler, so it's probably best to tell GME that you want 44100 or 48000 Hz output, and let GME resample as necessary. GME generates SPC at 32000 Hz internally, then resamples to the output rate, so the resampler doesn't affect accuracy at all (resampling to a higher sampling rate leaves the signal unchanged, since all frequencies can be represented in the higher rate). If you want to bypass this resampler for the SPC format, 32000 Hz is the rate to use, but then you rely on your operating system/sound card doing a better job at resampling. Does this plugin allow separate sample rates for each format? If not, then setting 32000 Hz would make other formats like NSF and GBS sound more muffled than they should be.
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

Does this plugin allow separate sample rates for each format?
Nope. Whatever option is set in the configuration, is the sample rate used for all formats.
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

Yeah, that's why I asked what I asked, I was afraid that setting the sample rate to something good for SNES music would made NSF and so on sound weird.
blargg
Regular

Post by blargg »

Metatron wrote:Yeah, that's why I asked what I asked, I was afraid that setting the sample rate to something good for SNES music would made NSF and so on sound weird.
Yeah, setting 32000 would make other formats sound more muffled. To summarize my previous post, unless your sound card's DAC can run at 32000 Hz, the sample stream will be resampled to 44100/48000/etc. Hz at some point before the DAC, so it's simply a question of whether you want GME or the OS/sound card to do this resampling. For purists, mudlord could add a "use 32000 Hz for SPC tracks" checkbox. Personally I think that a variable sample rate isn' even needed and the plugin could just always output 44100 Hz. That's such a common rate that anything should handle it correctly, and without any quality problems.
byuu

Post by byuu »

unless your sound card's DAC can run at 32000 Hz, the sample stream will be resampled to 44100/48000/etc. Hz at some point before the DAC, so it's simply a question of whether you want GME or the OS/sound card to do this resampling.
I've been thinking about that, myself. It's probably the only advantage of something like 96KHz on a card that actually supports it -- you can resample to an even multiple with something like a 4-tap cubic or 6-tap hermite filter. It can't possibly be worse than a cheap sound card's resampler.

And it would also simplify changing emulation speeds. Rather than having to change the frequency playback rate, you could instead simply change the input samples to output samples ratio.

If you wanted to get daring, you could probably use 32040hz -> 96000hz, so that emulation doesn't run ~1% slower than real hardware.
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

or purists, mudlord could add a "use 32000 Hz for SPC tracks" checkbox. Personally I think that a variable sample rate isn' even needed and the plugin could just always output 44100 Hz.
Done for next release. Users will be able to select whether SPCs are played at 32khz or 44100, which will be the sample rate for all other formats.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

are custom sample rates supported? you can enter them, not sure if they have any effect though.
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

are custom sample rates supported? you can enter them, not sure if they have any effect though.
No, due to how I was enumerating sample rates for the combobox, it was editable, but sample rates can't be edited for use. Least in the next version, the combobox is eliminated for 44100Hz all around, except for elective 32Khz SPC playback.