How to record sound as midi file?

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

monager

How to record sound as midi file?

Post by monager »

Hello there :D

First of all, respect to this program, quite an impressive one, isn't it? All those old days came back to my mind.

Even though I found some related topics I haven't found a topic covering my question. :cry:

Beeing a passionate piano player I would really like to get the sheets of some music. Therefore it would be great beeing able to play and record/extract the music played in the game as a Midi file! (Then I could import the midi file in my program and have it displayed as sheet music).

I would appreciate a little help on that or a suggestion of another proper emulator useful in this case.

Best! :D
Starman Ghost
Trooper

Post by Starman Ghost »

It can't be done with zsnes. I've seen wav/mp3->midi converter programs, but I've never seen one free.
[code]<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks?
<TheXPhial> vaccuums
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks in a metaphorical sense?
<TheXPhial> black holes
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what just isn't cool?
<TheXPhial> lava?[/code]
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Yeah. MIDI conversion isn't a trivial job.

It's probably easier to convert SPC to MIDI than a wave format, but... still not a simple task.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

The closest thing I've ever seen done was a built in MOD player in the infamous Snemul.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

1. rip the .spc
  2. .spc to .IT (impulse tracker format a mod-like format) use OpenSPC by Buthca
  3. .IT to .mid (MOD to MID converter) this should be widely available

certain game however, failed at step 'a',
    edit: the resulting quality on step 'c' is highly questionable though
Deathlike2 wrote:Snemul
ah that bring back memories,
however i never managed to .mod-ize Chrono Trigger opening music using that emu
Sara

Post by Sara »

There's a program called spc2midi.
Google's your friend as far as that goes.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
monager

Post by monager »

Thanks for your kind answers so far! I'll try it out over the weekend! Even though "ripping" the SPC first sounds quite complicated :-) I'll do my best! :)
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Eh, not really.

When you get the sound to within a second before the next track starts, you select save SPC
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

And of course there's always http://SNESmusic.org if you don't feel like ripping it yourself.
monager

Post by monager »

and there is also, as I just found, a page containing a lot of stuff in midi format :-)

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/ni ... assic.html

What a great page!

I wonder if its made by people "hearing and writing down" the music some genius/freaks, or by a program...
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

monager wrote:and there is also, as I just found, a page containing a lot of stuff in midi format :-)

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/ni ... assic.html

What a great page!

I wonder if its made by people "hearing and writing down" the music some genius/freaks, or by a program...
Midi is a just a file with separate instrument tracks, so it'll fit the former.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

They have been removing files made by programs at vgmusic.com but there are still a fair few NES tunes that are done by noteworthy.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

You don't need to be a genius/freak to sequence midi-files, you just need some time and patience.
monager

Post by monager »

but you gotta be good in listening in order to recognize individual chords and tons just by listening to them, writing it doen into sheets ot programming a midi is simple, as long as you know what you have to write...but they used a program anyway :-)
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Johan_H wrote:You don't need to be a genius/freak to sequence midi-files, you just need some time and patience.
not as much with things like virtuanes and NSF files.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

monager wrote:but you gotta be good in listening in order to recognize individual chords and tons just by listening to them, writing it doen into sheets ot programming a midi is simple, as long as you know what you have to write...but they used a program anyway :-)
Or you can grab something with per-channel monitoring.

Just because it wasn't automated doesn't mean it was by ear.
monager

Post by monager »

ok, you score, I am not that fit in programming and computers ;-).