Ahhhh!! I need help please!

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

piddywiffle

Ahhhh!! I need help please!

Post by piddywiffle »

Until recently my version of Zsnes was working like a champ. A few nights ago it seemed to defunk itself. Seeing that the version I had was the older version I decided instead of fighting it I'de replace it with the newest version.

Needless to say I removed the program and it's componants along with the few games I had stored on my computer.

So I hop online and download the newest version of Zsnes and to my dismay my computer pops up an error message that reads: "Application not found" :x

Ok... So I try the older version again. Same deal. I've also tried several other emulators in a desperate attempt to get back with my games. No luck their either.

So after a day or so of trying to figure out what's going on I've practically given up.

I have Vista as my OS and it's worked fine for me in the past (Meaning I dont want to install XP 8) ). But I can't help but feel I'm missing something important here...

Clues, suggestions and (of course) solutions are more then welcome.

Thanks,
Piddywiffle
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

It sounds to me like you aren't running the executable.
You're using a shortcut that's not pointed to the current executable location.

And why did you delete your games?
piddywiffle

Post by piddywiffle »

Any tips on getting the computer to point to the right exe?

Oh and I pulled the games out (which I only had three) because I had played them to the point where I could play them no more :wink:

I figured I'de clean up a bit and download some other games I have not played yet.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Edit the Shortcut to link to the correct folder/executable.

This is a self-inflicted issue and not a ZSNES one.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
piddywiffle

Post by piddywiffle »

But the thing is (to my knowledge) there is no shortcut going on.

I removed all the zsnes componants from my computer the other day.

Unless I missed something (which I cannot find for the life of me).

Ugh... I hate computers sometimes... I'm not gonna lie, I'm not great with them yet =P
piddywiffle

Post by piddywiffle »

Is it possible that Vista only has a trial version of Winzip or Winrar?

Maybe my computer just can't extract the files from the zip package.

I mean I've searched my computer for any remnants of zsnes and I don't remember having to install it's componants. So if it's trying to shortcut then I can't figure out where it's trying to shortcut too.

So is it just possible I no longer have a extracting program?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Before I even start, there is no official installer for ZSNES, so I don't know what else to tell you.
piddywiffle wrote:Is it possible that Vista only has a trial version of Winzip or Winrar?

Maybe my computer just can't extract the files from the zip package.
I believe Vista has native zip decompression IIRC, but you definately need to install a better solution such as 7-Zip.
I mean I've searched my computer for any remnants of zsnes and I don't remember having to install it's componants. So if it's trying to shortcut then I can't figure out where it's trying to shortcut too.

So is it just possible I no longer have a extracting program?
ZSNES and other stuff is contained within a zip file, so I don't know what else to tell you if you are downloading ZSNES from other locations.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
piddywiffle

Post by piddywiffle »

:x

Ok... Well I guess many more hours of troubleshooting are required.

Thanks for the help.
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

1) Download zsnesw151.zip
2) Open the zip file, extract contents wherever you want them (probably into a "zsnes" folder somewhere, preferably where your old zsnes was stored
3) Navigate to said folder
4) Double-click "zsnesw.exe"

If that doesn't open zsnes, I'd be surprised. After that, get rid of the shortcut you must be clicking, on your desktop or quicklaunch bar or something I'm assuming, and replace it with a shortcut to the new copy of zsnes, if you feel you need to.

Hopefully that helps you.
I bring the trouble.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Are you trying to run ZSNES by clicking the ROMs?
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

I'm still taking the stance that if a users can't figure out how to work with files and know how to work with his/computer in general, that person shouldn't even touch emulators.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
piddywiffle

Post by piddywiffle »

No I can work files on my computer. I just can't find where it's trying to shortcut the file too.

If you had read my original post you would understand that I already had the older version of Zsnes. It worked great.

I saw that the new version was out so I removed all of the zsnes files from my computer. When I went to download the new version I was interupted with a message that read: "Application not found"

But to say the least I can work files on my computer.

And no I was not opening the the emulator with the ROM files.
piddywiffle

Post by piddywiffle »

DancemasterGlenn wrote:1) Download zsnesw151.zip
2) Open the zip file, extract contents wherever you want them (probably into a "zsnes" folder somewhere, preferably where your old zsnes was stored
3) Navigate to said folder
4) Double-click "zsnesw.exe"

If that doesn't open zsnes, I'd be surprised. After that, get rid of the shortcut you must be clicking, on your desktop or quicklaunch bar or something I'm assuming, and replace it with a shortcut to the new copy of zsnes, if you feel you need to.

Hopefully that helps you.

Well that's the way I want it to play out =P

Unfortunatly I can't even get the files to unzip. Which (in my mind) means my zip program is defunked. Which means more troubleshooting which leads to hairloss... :evil:
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

No hair loss required. Just get a new program, apparently 7zip is the shizzle, and you should be in business. You can worry about why your old unzip program doesn't work another day. And if you're still having trouble, try redownloading the zsnes zip again. And as usual, make sure it's from the official site. No need to start throwing random links into the middle of your current problems.
I bring the trouble.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

7-zip is wonderful

windows has native zip support, he could be trying to run it from inside the zip file, since windows opens a zip file in an explorer window

and this kind of issue tells me that the OP does NOT know much about moving/working with/doing anything with files at all
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
piddywiffle

Post by piddywiffle »

Ok... After several days of trying to get my native zip program to work again I decided to follow the advise of some of you guys and downloaded 7-zip.

Well it worked very well.

Kinda frusterating I couldn't get my native program to operate smoothly again and had to dance around that but ah well.

So thanks to everyone who helped and no thanks to the people that had nothing better to say then: "The OP can't work files on his computer".

I can work files on my computer I was just stumped as to why my native zip program decided to fubar itself.

So thanks again.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

thing is, had you known some basic stuff, this discussion would not have ever happened
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

He probably skipped those bits and went straight to learning what "fubar" meant.

Glad that all got sorted out. Next!
I bring the trouble.
PHoNyMiKe
Retrosexual

Post by PHoNyMiKe »

winrar is the shizznit 4 realz yo
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=phonymike]ultimate immortality[/url]
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,zsnes,white,purple.png[/img][/url]
BCprogger
Hazed

Post by BCprogger »

I've been burned trying to help a friend install a program- turns out (at least with the built in zip support in XP) that it doesn't extract Executable files, at least as far as I can tell.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

BCprogger wrote:I've been burned trying to help a friend install a program- turns out (at least with the built in zip support in XP) that it doesn't extract Executable files, at least as far as I can tell.
It does extract them. I've used it myself.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Expecting double clicks to always do what you want will be your doom.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

There's an archiver that offers better compression that even 7-zip

http://kgbarchiver.net/
Truth Unknown
Regular

Post by Truth Unknown »

Franky wrote:There's an archiver that offers better compression that even 7-zip

http://kgbarchiver.net/
I fail to see how this will help this guy.

Anyway, when you open a ZIP file in explorer, there should be a link or toolbar button that says Extract All Files (something like that.) This will open up a Wizard that will help you extract the files to a folder (say C:\ZSNES) and open said folder when extracted. EDIT: I'm quite sure you could have figured out how to use explorer's ZIP functions with the provided "Help and Support" application (or whatever it is) in the Start Menu.
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

People were talking about different compression formats so I thought I might aswell chip in and mention the KGB Archiver