Megaman 9 coming to Wii Ware

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

powerspike wrote:
Joe Camacho wrote:I'm liking this. I'm going to waste so much time in the office today.
Glad you like it. You're lucky that you can even installing something like that on your work computers. : /
Joe Camacho wrote:Sadly, I had work to do once I cross the office's door so no rockman 9, I wonder if Gideon or someother guy could translate this game once they release the final version.
The 9 was a typo right? It's Rockman 7 / Megaman 7 whatever the heck people want to call it. If I wasn't clear enough about it I'm sorry. The translation of the game would be fairly easy (even I could do it), but I didn't think it was worth doing seeing as the config.ini is in English and the SNES game already has an English introduction level.
Well, I actually take my laptop to the office, so I have complete control on what I have on my computer. And yeah, that's a very horrible typo, I was talking about rockman 7 nes.

And while I have already played 7 on snes, on emulator and in the anniversary collection, I would like to see the game in english, like the conversations with protoman (I haven't played enough to see if bass speaks in the game, I just defeated cloud man and junk man)
Gil_Hamilton wrote:
Joe Camacho wrote:
grinvader wrote:And that's why you should never trust mexican lawyers ! They might be cheap, but they play rockman instead of saving your butt !

>:D
Give me some credit, I save butts while playing rockman.
On a scale of 1 to 10, exactly how like Phoenix Wright are you?
Well.. Taking in account that the mexican legal system is completely different from the one of Japan and US, and that I haven't had the chance of playing he games.. I would say a ? out of 10.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Joe Camacho wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:
Joe Camacho wrote:
grinvader wrote:And that's why you should never trust mexican lawyers ! They might be cheap, but they play rockman instead of saving your butt !

>:D
Give me some credit, I save butts while playing rockman.
On a scale of 1 to 10, exactly how like Phoenix Wright are you?
Well.. Taking in account that the mexican legal system is completely different from the one of Japan and US, and that I haven't had the chance of playing he games.. I would say a ? out of 10.
Japan's is a lot different than the US' too. Thankfully.

And play the games! Now!
Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

so, i coined the term of: Legal Megaman

what packed inside:
  • Megaman Suit
  • Megaman Case
  • Megaman Law
  • Megaman Court
  • Megaman Defense
    .. and many more ...
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

A Mega Man game where Mega Man was the prosecutor would be fucking awesome.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I.S.T. wrote:A Mega Man game where Mega Man was the prosecutor would be fucking awesome.
"OBJECTION!"

"On what grounds?"

"That I blasted DefenseAttorneyMan and stole his briefcase!"

"Sustained."
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

I think a fusion of the classic mega man gameplay(depending on which Megaman we're using... X style would be funny as shit due to the upgrades) and Phoenix Wright gameplay would work best, myself.
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

powerspike
Regular

Post by powerspike »

Joe Camacho wrote:. And while I have already played 7 on snes, on emulator and in the anniversary collection, I would like to see the game in english, like the conversations with protoman (I haven't played enough to see if bass speaks in the game, I just defeated cloud man and junk man)
You'll be happy to know I did mange to change the text in game(it already has an English font anyway). It wasn't really hard but it took awhile since I'm not a hacker, all I did was use a file corrupter. Still I think I'm going to wait till a more complete version of the game comes out. If someone beats me to it then that's okay too. Anyone handy with a hex editor could probably do it.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Johan_H wrote:Image
I'm so going to use that as an avatar, someday.

Edit.- Powerspike, that's really nice, but I agree in waiting for a final or a stable version, when I fought Junk Man, after defeating him and using half of my thunder weapon energy, the game decided I didn't defeat him, and returned me to the boss room, with half of my thunder weapon energy.

Not frustratiing, but weird.
powerspike
Regular

Post by powerspike »

Joe Camacho wrote:Edit.- Powerspike, that's really nice, but I agree in waiting for a final or a stable version, when I fought Junk Man, after defeating him and using half of my thunder weapon energy, the game decided I didn't defeat him, and returned me to the boss room, with half of my thunder weapon energy.

Not frustratiing, but weird.
Mmmm I noticed an odd respawning problem too. It happened to me once in spring mans stage. There must of been 8 or so Tripropellern on the screen. Did the SNES game spawn in more of them? I don't really remember, but I know the NES games wouldn't allow that.

Edit: If he's even going for total authenticity that is.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

BUMP

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/03/mega- ... -hands-on/

*Hangs self*

Can't believe this shit. Instead of giving the original MM a proper send off, they half ass. This is, without a doubt, the dumbest thing Capcom has ever done. And this is coming from someone who hates the original MM games.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Sounds Awesome if Inafune is in charge again.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I.S.T. wrote:BUMP

*Hangs self*

Can't believe this shit. Instead of giving the original MM a proper send off, they half ass. This is, without a doubt, the dumbest thing Capcom has ever done. And this is coming from someone who hates the original MM games.
What exactly is wrong?
Aside from the NES graphical style?

It sounds good to me.
Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

a legacy megaman style indeed
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:

*Hangs self*

What exactly is wrong?

It sounds good to me.
It's just a goddamn NES game. gaming has evolved past then, and the Megaman series considerably. Rather than actually trying, they're doing what they used use as their main business model(It's still a core part of it, but not the biggest part...): Take a successful game, make new levels, release as brand new game.

Except they're using a 20 some odd year old game that hasn't aged all that well...
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Then go play the million other games that come out each year that do feature all the shineys and super duper tech that you so crave. Go play MMX5-200 or something (because they're new, so they must be better than MM2 amirite). You don't have to deprave yourself. Meanwhile the rest of us will enjoy this unique little thing that Capcom are doing.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I.S.T. wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:

*Hangs self*

What exactly is wrong?

It sounds good to me.
It's just a goddamn NES game.
Actually, it's NOT. It just LOOKS LIKE one.
You can even see an example of 3D object manipulation in the screenshots.

God forbid someone make an artistic decision.
gaming has evolved past then, and the Megaman series considerably.
And Megaman 2 is STILL the most popular and best-selling entry in the franchise. Despite a gaming market that has only gotten larger since then, and some very high-profile anniversary releases.

Something went wrong somewhere.

Though if you actually read the preview, you'd find that this has several attributes that never appeared in the NES games. Some never appeared in ANY original series game.

Whether this is actually good or not is debatable. Some people prefer the original games over the X series BECAUSE they keep it simple. And the Zero, Legends, and Battle Network franchises are Megaman in name only.

As far as evolution goes... An old game design isn't necessarily a bad game design.
I would think that attitude would be a common one for someone on a SNES emulation board.
Rather than actually trying, they're doing what they used use as their main business model(It's still a core part of it, but not the biggest part...): Take a successful game, make new levels, release as brand new game.
Well, that's pretty much the entire history of Megaman.

And this likely took significantly more effort than the Pee-Ess-Pee Megaman X and Megaman 1 remakes.
They have to do the new enemies-new levels thing, which they largely skipped last time.

Except they're using a 20 some odd year old game that hasn't aged all that well...
20-something FRANCHISE. They aren't respriting Megaman 1. They're making a new game with NES graphics.

What would you suggest they do? Create a brand-new sidescrolling platformer with polygons? X7 and X8 did that. They sucked.

A brand-new high-res, high-color sprite game is, sadly, not gonna happen.
The professional sprite artist is all but extinct. It's far cheaper to do 3D graphics than 2D now.
They can probably only get away with going sprite/tile by reusing the older resources. The greatest selection of and most reusable sprites/tiles are in the NES games. (Once I'm actually looking for it, I recognize a LOT of these tiles Some rather clever re-use in some cases, like the fire dragon.)

So we get a brand-new Megaman game with nostalgic graphics and sound, designed by one of the original creators. I don't see what's wrong with that.
The graphics whores won't be happy, but they're not the kind of people that buy Megaman games in the first place.

Edit: I hate the word filter.
Last edited by Gil_Hamilton on Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

It's not unique, it's just what they did back in 1989 a billion times over.

I didn't expect much from this, given it's a downloadable game. I figured it would have PS1 or maybe really nice looking SNES level 2d with semi-modern game design, not a regurgitated NES game.
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

I.S.T. wrote:It's not unique, it's just what they did back in 1989 a billion times over.
Aren't all Megaman games? And how can you tell? The graphics are similar but we don't know a lot more than that, do we?
Besides, what's wrong with NES games?
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

I really really do wish that this game was in 2D that pished even semi-modern systems.

It would be truly magnificent and heaven toi my eyes.

Ah, I can dream.
Truth Unknown
Regular

Post by Truth Unknown »

I think I.S.T. is a gamer stuck in the generation of games that improved on graphics more than game-play. Besides whats wrong with the graphics, you can see the player, the player can function and everything around him.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Given I'm posting on a forum for an SNES emulator, I dare say you're full of shit, Truth Unknown.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

It's unique if nobody has done it for 20 years.

Seriously guy, when some indie filmmaker creates a mute black and white movie, do you go around saying "ugh, you're so stupid, we have modern color technology these days you know! People did that black and white stuff a million times over in the 1930's!" I mean, not to sound too harsh, but it makes you look like a bit of a tool.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

That's a bit different, given that unless you're going for an animated film, a lot of movies will look alike for the most part.

This is simple cut and paste-ery.

I made up a new word!
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

I've always wanted remoakes of many NES games while keeping the same graphics style. Why do you think there where what, 7! games on the NES? gameplay of course!

IE: 7 games would not have been made if everyone thought they where shit.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64