Only 42 fps whatever I do

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

leilei wrote:it's definitely a refresh rate related issue. Did you try different video modes?
If a reboot fixed it, it's NOT a refresh issue.

That and how would you get windows into 42Hz without forcing it intentionally?
BFeely
Rookie

Post by BFeely »

franpa wrote:
Truth Unknown wrote:
BFeely wrote:You never mentioned what operating system you are running. If you are running Windows Vista, you lose hardware-accelerated DirectDraw and thus can get a signigicant loss in framerate. If this is the case, try a lower resolution and/or disabling graphics filters.
Really? I thought it was just DirectSound that was dropped.
correct.
Actually, if you run Vista with an XP driver (not recommended, causes BSODs for me) you will get the fully accelerated DirectDraw. However, if you use a WDDM driver, DirectDraw will be emulated, as can be noticed by the fact that bilinear filtering is gone. This is because WDDM drivers only know Direct3D.
leilei
Rookie

Post by leilei »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
leilei wrote:it's definitely a refresh rate related issue. Did you try different video modes?

Video drivers sometimes freak out and set the lowest possible refresh rate sometimes. I know it happened to me several times with ATI cards
o^_^o
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

leilei wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:

Video drivers sometimes freak out and set the lowest possible refresh rate sometimes. I know it happened to me several times with ATI cards
I've NEVER had it happen to me.
Of course, I've been running mostly nVidia cards.

42Hz also isn't the lowest possible in the vast majority of cases. 60Hz is the failsafe. 640*480@60Hz = VGA. It's the lowest refresh rate that most monitors and video cards support, it's the default state, and if anything goes wrong, it's the fallback position until the user can fix it.