Gamepad recommendations

Gamepad acting up? Keyboard not responding properly? Can't get that other user to work? Read and post about it here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Sferics
Regular

Gamepad recommendations

Post by Sferics »

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I'm looking for a good gamepad recommendation. I'm searching for a wireless USB controller with a good 4 way directional pad, shoulder buttons, 4 face buttons, and preferably (but not required) 2 analog sticks. Also, since I will be using this gamepad on my laptop, I'd prefer the wireless receiver to be small and without wires, pretty much not a dongle-like receiver.

EDIT: Found this, anyone had any experience with it?

http://www.brloh.sk/images/obalky/pchry/h7189.jpg
David Dunham - "Efficiency is intelligent laziness"
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Logitech Rumblepad 2 Coordless.

or the X360 or the PS3 pad.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Sferics
Regular

Post by Sferics »

I've looked a the Cordless RumblePad 2, but it has rather large receiver with a wire. And I've heard bad things about the Xbox 360 controller's D-Pad.
DOLLS (J) [!]
ZNES Developer

Post by DOLLS (J) [!] »

Sferics wrote:And I've heard bad things about the Xbox 360 controller's D-Pad.
Yeah, it sucks.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Sferics wrote:I've looked a the Cordless RumblePad 2, but it has rather large receiver with a wire.
Did you expect something different? AFAIK, most cordless PC gamepads have a wired receiver.

Or then I'm misunderstanding something here.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Agozer wrote:
Sferics wrote:I've looked a the Cordless RumblePad 2, but it has rather large receiver with a wire.
Did you expect something different? AFAIK, most cordless PC gamepads have a wired receiver.

He's looking for one with a reciever like wireless mice use. That just hangs off the USB port.
Sferics
Regular

Post by Sferics »

Agozer wrote:

I have found that to be true in most cases, but since this gamepad is going to be used primarily with my laptop, I'd prefer not to have a receiver with a two-foot long cord dangling from my USB port.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Personally, if it's laptop usage, I'd recommend a wired one.
The wire clutter won't be that big a deal since it won't be constantly connected, and you'll save your batteries.
Sferics
Regular

Post by Sferics »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Personally, if it's laptop usage, I'd recommend a wired one.
The wire clutter won't be that big a deal since it won't be constantly connected, and you'll save your batteries.
I do think the Super Nintendo controller is virtually unrivaled as the best controller ever, and I have been thinking about compromising for a wired SNES retroport. The only downside with that for me is that I would need a joystick for some other games...

That Wii Classic Controller does look perfect for what I need, being a SNES-like controller with joysticks (by the way, does the quality compare with the original SNES controller?), but would it be possible for me to somehow connect that to my laptop?
Last edited by Sferics on Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

if you want to carry around a wiimote with you... a bluetooth dongle would work.

on that note as well, you could also use the ps3 controller with bluetooth.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Sferics wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:Personally, if it's laptop usage, I'd recommend a wired one.
I do think the Super Nintendo controller is virtually unrivaled as the best controller ever, and I have been thinking about compromising for a wired SNES retroport. The only downside with that for me is that I would need a joystick for some other games...

That Wii Classic Controller does look perfect for what I need, being a SNES=like controller with joysticks (by the way, does the quality compare with the original SNES controller?), but would it be possible for me to somehow connect that to my laptop?
Personally, I'm partial to the XBox 1 "S" controller. It's got a very nice d-pad, and fits the hands pretty well(mine, anyways).
The analog triggers are the only downside, being a tad mushy for SNES usage.

The Wii classic controller has to interface through the Wiimote. There's drivers for the Wiimote, but I dunno if they support the classic pad yet.
Sferics
Regular

Post by Sferics »

What all would I need for that? A bluetooth USB adapter, Wiimote, and Wii Classic Controller? Lugging around a Wiimote does sound like a pain...

As far as a PS3 controller goes, I find the split d-pad doesn't work too well for a lot of SNES games I like to play.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Sferics wrote:What all would I need for that? A bluetooth USB adapter, Wiimote, and Wii Classic Controller? Lugging around a Wiimote does sound like a pain...
Yeah.
And the classic controller has a wire connecting it to the Wiimote.

It's not really an elegant solution.
As far as a PS3 controller goes, I find the split d-pad doesn't work too well for a lot of SNES games I like to play.
I just find it damned uncomfortable(less so on the PS2 than the PS1, since it's a far less stiff pad. I've spent no real time with the PS3, but I don't think they improved the pad any).

Mechanically, it's nearly identical to every other pivot-point d-pad. The split is an aesthetic feature more than anything else.
Sferics
Regular

Post by Sferics »

So is a SNES retroport just the best solution? Or is there any other controller that has a comparable feel/quality?

I know you recommended the the Xbox S controller, but does it even hold a candle against the SNES controller? I've never played on an Xbox, so I wouldn't know. I do know one of my favorite qualities of the SNES controller is how small and compact it is, and I just don't see that in the Xbox S controller.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Truth is, I find the SNES pad TOO small.
The big gripe I''ve got with the XBox pad for SNES usage is the d-pad is off to the side instead of front and center.
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

I have a Logitech Dual Action controller. Though it is wired, it is very comfortable and has a layout similar to a PS2 controller, except without the awkward angled handles. I have played many games with it on zsnes, and it works like a charm.
Sferics
Regular

Post by Sferics »

I have heard even worse things about the Dual Action's d-pad. One person went as far as to say it was so bad that it was a pain to even navigate menus with it.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Sferics wrote:I have heard even worse things about the Dual Action's d-pad. One person went as far as to say it was so bad that it was a pain to even navigate menus with it.
Keep in mind that Logitech redesigns their pads every few years, and keeps the model names.

I had a Logitech pad that was complete and utter shit. But that was at least 2 revisions ago(back when they had the transparent blue d-pad).
Sferics
Regular

Post by Sferics »

Well, I've decided to just go with a Super Nintendo controller, so I ordered one of those retrokits. It got me thinking though, would it be possible to install the usb chip into the receiver of a wireless super nintendo controller? Are there any good wireless super nintendo controllers?
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Sferics wrote:Well, I've decided to just go with a Super Nintendo controller, so I ordered one of those retrokits. It got me thinking though, would it be possible to install the usb chip into the receiver of a wireless super nintendo controller?
If the chip takes the SNES bit stream(as in it can be an actual adapter that sits between the SNES controller and the PC, as opposed to gutting the controller and "rebraining" it), it should be installable.
If it takes direct switch inputs, no.
Are there any good wireless super nintendo controllers?
I'm betting no, but I'm not positive.
Aaron
Lurker

Post by Aaron »

Righteous: Saitek makes really good controllers. I highly recommend the P990. :)