Help with Compatibility Application Toolkit 5

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

franpa
Gecko snack

Help with Compatibility Application Toolkit 5

Post by franpa »

Hello, I have had A look at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/than ... layLang=en and so far it all talks about businesses and deployment blahblah and not how to use the Administrator part...
What is the point of the System Database? what is the point of the Per User Compatibility Settings?

I have no clue what those are for or how to "use" them. I do know how to make my own database including programs of my choosing.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Truth Unknown
Regular

Post by Truth Unknown »

Better Link

Anyway, why do you need this? This toolkit is more than what a normal user will need. Say the upgrade adviser would be more appropriate if you are looking to use Windows Vista. All the other things this does doesn't really scream normal user needs.

As for what the Database trees, they are probably to set up business databases to be compatible with Vista or something. While the Per User... tree would be for specific settings for users for each area of work. Say one user (and/or group) just uses specific software, they will only need it working and no other user will. This will save time on the user and admin on getting the software to function. Instead of updating all the workstations and delaying everyone.

I think I nailed it, but I can be wrong. I didn't look much into this tool kit nor read much of it either. Some of the things seem obvious in the right context. And for whatever reason you need to use this, please read the documentation, it can be boring, but it was made for a reason.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Truth Unknown wrote:I think I nailed it
I think you did too, thanks alot.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64