feature request: bind a key to save/load directly state X

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

adept

feature request: bind a key to save/load directly state X

Post by adept »

instead of using state shortcuts to select the state X for save/load let me bind a key (e.g. F2) to save directly to slot 2 and other key to load directly from slot 2 (e.g. F4)
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

You do realize the number of buttons that would be needed for this?

Intelligent usage of the existing feature is the way to go, particular when there are 100 states, not just 10 states.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
adept

Post by adept »

Deathlike2 wrote:You do realize the number of buttons that would be needed for this?

Intelligent usage of the existing feature is the way to go, particular when there are 100 states, not just 10 states.
I don't see the problem, direct saves/loads don't have to be binded by default at all if you fear that this would lead zsnes users to not using all 100 states per game.
Truth Unknown
Regular

Post by Truth Unknown »

For some reason, adept's example sounds almost like how ZSNES behaves, but I do see what he wants. Adept, don't you think you are over thinking the need for such customizations? Is it really that hard to push F3 (Default) to change a slot to Save (F2 by Default) or Load (F4 by Default)?
adept

Post by adept »

Truth Unknown wrote:...Adept, don't you think you are over thinking the need for such customizations? Is it really that hard to push F3 (Default) to change a slot to Save (F2 by Default) or Load (F4 by Default)?
I rarely find the use for more than two or three save states per game. For me it would be more convenient to directly save to the preferred slot since I utilize much less than 100 save/load states.
Truth Unknown
Regular

Post by Truth Unknown »

So what's the problem with the way it works now? Like what is it that makes you wish for your feature request?
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

I *hate* shift+Fn for saving. Which is about the only way to make it work.

H
A
T
E

If you can think of a proper way to quickload/save that's actually quick and does the "one key per slot", feel free to share.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
adept

Post by adept »

Truth Unknown wrote:So what's the problem with the way it works now? Like what is it that makes you wish for your feature request?
the problem is two keypresses: 1) select state, 2) load/save. I need quicker way to save/load - thus the feature request.
adept

Post by adept »

grinvader wrote:I *hate* shift+Fn for saving. Which is about the only way to make it work.

H
A
T
E

If you can think of a proper way to quickload/save that's actually quick and does the "one key per slot", feel free to share.
the proper way to implement this direct save/load state feature is complete freedom to bind whatever keys user prefers. that's about it.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

adept wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:You do realize the number of buttons that would be needed for this?

I don't see the problem, direct saves/loads don't have to be binded by default at all if you fear that this would lead zsnes users to not using all 100 states per game.
The simple hint is that you won't have enough buttons to take advantage of this. Even then, there's a lot of real estate already used by the default keys.

I'm not really for this because it introduces a host of other user-created errors that is not worth dealing with.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
byuu

Post by byuu »

My impression is that he's meaning two keys per slot.
Eg F5 = save state 1, F6 = load state 1, F7 = save state 2, F8 = load state 2, ... F202 = save state 99 (joking here, of course. You'd only map a few.)

Sounds like a real pain to implement into the key mapping section. Would have to be some sort of scrolling listbox.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Hmm... we'll see. You better be patient though.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Hal_Emmerich

Post by Hal_Emmerich »

Why not just pick the option that would make everyone happy

Interface Mode 1: 1-9 = Developers Buttons (Backgrounds on/off, etc)
Interface Mode 2: Shift + # (Write state), # (Read State)

Long story short, there are undoubtedly some people who like one way over the other. Not everyone needs the ability to turn off the foreground layer (something which is becoming less necessary for standard emulation, now that most of them work properly). Providing a switch ensures that both sides are happy, and it couldn't be that difficult to program.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Hal_Emmerich wrote:Interface Mode 2: Shift + # (Write state), # (Read State)
I really like when people don't read posts.

Really.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

grinvader wrote:
Hal_Emmerich wrote:Interface Mode 2: Shift + # (Write state), # (Read State)
I really like when people don't read posts.

Really.
I wrote:Intelligent usage of the existing feature is the way to go, particular when there are 100 states, not just 10 states.
Ah the memories.