bug+patch: sometimes depbuild output gets corrupted

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

icemaze

bug+patch: sometimes depbuild output gets corrupted

Post by icemaze »

Hi, I had problems building zsnes for some time because depbuild produced an incorrect makefile.dep.
I reported a bug for my distro last year but I recently found some time to look at it again and I finally solved the problem.

Original bug report: http://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=170108

Depbuild uses the STL facility (cout) to output parts of the depfile. It also uses system() to pass the output of nasm to its own stdout. Unfortunately this causes problems sometimes. On my system depbuild works perfectly on a terminal but fails silently when output is redirected (for example when called from the Makefile). The Makefile then usually terminates because of a syntax error in makefile.dep. The content is there but nasm output is randomly interleaved with depbuild "cout" output.
I don't know how widespread is the problem.

I wrote a patch to fix this:

Code: Select all

--- depbuild.cpp.old    2008-10-08 21:58:01.000000000 +0200
+++ depbuild.cpp.new    2008-10-08 21:59:04.000000000 +0200
@@ -131,7 +131,15 @@
 void dependency_calculate_asm(const char *filename)
 {
   string command = nasm + " " + nflags + " -M " + filename;
-  system(command.c_str());
+  FILE *fp = popen(command.c_str(), "r");
+  if (fp)
+  {
+    char line[256];
+    while (fgets(line, sizeof(line), fp)) //Process all lines of output
+    {
+      cout << line;
+    }
+  }
 }
Maybe there's a way to flush system()'s output in order to keep it synced. I'm no C++ guru so I don't really know.

I also wrote a shell script that does the same work of depbuild. I did that because I couldn't really understand all that code and I didn't think the solution would be so simple. But I can send it to anyone who's interested. Drop me a line if you need it.

Thanks.