Mother 3

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

Justifier!
Hazed

Post by Justifier! »

Hey Tomato, Thanks for the Mother 3 Translation BTW

I've been waiting for ages to play EarthBound 2

But anyone thinks that, hack the title screen and change the title of Mother 3 to EarthBound 2?
Tomato
Hazed

Post by Tomato »

You're free to hack it yourself, but note that you'll also have to hack the full-screen title animation after the prologue, the text right after the naming screen, AND the ending screen.
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

I suppose most people know what Earthbound is Mother 2, so there's not much point in hacking the title to show "Earthbound 2".
byuu

Post by byuu »

Aside from being more faithful, calling it MOTHER 3 is also a nice protection against eBay scammers. I've seen lots of "Secret of Mana 2" carts, but no "English Seiken Densetsu / Legend of the Holy Sword 3" carts. At least, not personally.

To know the Japanese title, you have to be a pretty serious gamer; much more likely to not be fooled by these scammers.
gllt
NO VOWELS >:[

Post by gllt »

Mother 3 (J) [T+Eng1.0].gba coming to a goodset near you!
byuu

Post by byuu »

gllt wrote:Mother 3 (J) [T+Eng1.0].gba coming to a goodset near you!
Heh, damn. I should've used my random data append trick for the M3 patcher. Then we could have Mother 3 (J) [T+Eng1.0] [h22617c].gba :(
Tomato
Hazed

Post by Tomato »

You can still do it for v1.1 or whatever whenever it comes out ;)

I actually haven't put your new patcher version up either, so we could do it now if you wanted. I think some of the data at the end is actually used though.
byuu

Post by byuu »

Well ... it would also mess with unpatching. And I'm 99% sure Cowering will just list the standard UPS version (eg patch with Tsukuyomi.)

The whole thing was a joke, back when he said he only indexed the patches because "people keep sending unique CRC files to (him) to index." So I always make sure my patches have ~4 billion possible CRCs now ;)
Makes his tool rather worthless when users patch their own games instead of downloading GoodSets off TPB.

It's hypocritical anyway. I'm sure the game companies don't want their work indexed by Cowering, either. No sense in us expecting special treatment, sadly.
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

byuu wrote:Aside from being more faithful, calling it MOTHER 3 is also a nice protection against eBay scammers. I've seen lots of "Secret of Mana 2" carts, but no "English Seiken Densetsu / Legend of the Holy Sword 3" carts. At least, not personally.

To know the Japanese title, you have to be a pretty serious gamer; much more likely to not be fooled by these scammers.
If I'm not mistaken, Seiken Densetsu 3 was not called "SoM 2". The hackers that translated the game still called it "Seiken Densetsu 3", so I'm pretty sure if scammers want to sell Mother 3 on ebay or something, they'll still label it "Earthbound 2", regardless. Afterall, I'm not wrong that those "SoM 2" carts they sell on ebay still show "Seiken Densetsu 3" on the title screen when the poor souls who fall for the scam insert it into their snes, right?
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Franky wrote:
byuu wrote:Aside from being more faithful, calling it MOTHER 3 is also a nice protection against eBay scammers. I've seen lots of "Secret of Mana 2" carts, but no "English Seiken Densetsu / Legend of the Holy Sword 3" carts. At least, not personally.

If I'm not mistaken, Seiken Densetsu 3 was not called "SoM 2". The hackers that translated the game still called it "Seiken Densetsu 3", so I'm pretty sure if scammers want to sell Mother 3 on ebay or something, they'll still label it "Earthbound 2", regardless. Afterall, I'm not wrong that those "SoM 2" carts they sell on ebay still show "Seiken Densetsu 3" on the title screen when the poor souls who fall for the scam insert it into their snes, right?
No, the german patch (the first one to make it back into a real cart to be sold as is, iirc) has the title translated to SoM2. I THINK.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Justifier!
Hazed

Post by Justifier! »

Tomato wrote:You're free to hack it yourself, but note that you'll also have to hack the full-screen title animation after the prologue, the text right after the naming screen, AND the ending screen.
Sorry but, I can't hack but anyway the Mother 3 title is quite okay.

:)
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

I AM PLAYING I AM PLAYING I AM PLAYING.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

grinvader wrote:No, the german patch (the first one to make it back into a real cart to be sold as is, iirc) has the title translated to SoM2. I THINK.
I was talking about the English translation.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

and he's giving an example of where it was SoM2.

......and that's it
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
gllt

Post by gllt »

byuu wrote:downloading GoodSets off TPB.
did you mean: emuparadise bt
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

I bring the trouble.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

interview on ars!
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Ok guys, I'm about 19 hours in the game..

I must say it's pretty cool, but not as good as Earthbound, what I liked about Earthbound was that it was quite strange in a real world setting, and as you kept playing the game started getting more bizarre.

With Mother 3, the game starts as plain weird and strange, not saying that it's a bad thing, just diferent, and I prefered Earthound's pace better I guess.

Is the game supposed to be short? I feel like I'm close to the ending.

Other than that, great game, and thanks to everyone involved in the translation.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
gllt

Post by gllt »

Plays well on Wii <3
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

oh SNAP
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

Will it affect Tomato in any way that his identity is revealed? I hope that nothing bad happens.
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
casualsax3
Veteran

Post by casualsax3 »

I assume he would have withheld his name if that were the case...
Aaron
Lurker

Post by Aaron »

I lost my Mother 3 save in my recent reformatting. :( Dang... I was near the end of the game, too!
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Neo Kaiser wrote:Will it affect Tomato in any way that his identity is revealed? I hope that nothing bad happens.
hahahahaahahahahahahahaha
hahahaha

hahahahahahahahaah

No wait

hahahahahahahaha
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54