Vista + ZSNES = Lag?

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

NeverHappy

Vista + ZSNES = Lag?

Post by NeverHappy »

Hello! I'm new here.

I recently downloaded ZSNES and a sweet Super Mario World ROM. Keep in mind I have Vista. I tried to run ZSNES and it lagged my computer to hell. Everything went so slow that it froze for about 30 seconds, then unfroze for a split second, and froze again and repeated. I had to reboot to get out of that hellish state. I had Windows XP on my old comp and it worked fine on that one. I would appreciate any help you could bless upon me. Thanks in advance :)

Also, here are my computer specs :

Windows Edition

Windows Vista Home Premium
Service Pack 1

---

System

Manufacturer : Hewlett-Packard
Model : HP Pavilion dv6700 Notebook PC
Processor : Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2330 @ 1.60GHz 1.60 GHz
Memory (RAM) : 2.00 GB
System Type : 32-bit Operating System

---

Local Disk (C:) 27.7 GB free of 137 GB
(D:) 1.88 GB free of 11.8 GB

---

Hope that helps.

~NeverHappy
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Try and set processor affinity to 1.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
NeverHappy

Post by NeverHappy »

Deathlike2 wrote:Try and set processor affinity to 1.

How?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Google for what you need to know. AFAIK, you need to use Task Manager.

Edit: Link - http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Se ... tnG=Search
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
NeverHappy

Post by NeverHappy »

It's still slow.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

What video card are you using?
jambo.ok

Post by jambo.ok »

Deathlike2 wrote:What video card are you using?
Been reading up on the specs on his laptop, which his GFX card would be:
NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8400M GS

Full tech specs here:
Link
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Which version of ZSNES are you using?
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
CalaverX11

Post by CalaverX11 »

I'm actually having a similar problem on Windows XP Pro SP3.

System:

Dell Latitude D630
3GB DDR2 667MHz
Core2 Duo T7250 2.00GHz w/SpeedStep
NVIDIA Quadro NVS 135M w/128MB DDR2

Ever since my recent rebuild of this machine (transplanted Vista Business with XP Pro SP3), ZSNES 1.51 takes 10 seconds to load, and 10-15 seconds to switch from the emulator to another window. I've tested every possible configuration relevant to what could be causing the lag with the exception of removing SP3 and rolling back to SP2.

Games run fine regardless of play settings. I can enable HQ4x, play in windowed or fullscreen mode, sound works fine, the emulator only crashes when I try to change the video settings (which is a known bug and I've found workarounds for). So the only problem I'm having is the severe process interruptions when switching windows. This was not present in Vista or Vista SP1, nor XP SP2.

Any suggestions here? Or should I just try to roll back to SP2?
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

You tried setting processor affinity to one already, right?
Poetikal
Rookie

Post by Poetikal »

CalaverX11 wrote:I'm actually having a similar problem on Windows XP Pro SP3.

System:

Dell Latitude D630
3GB DDR2 667MHz
Core2 Duo T7250 2.00GHz w/SpeedStep
NVIDIA Quadro NVS 135M w/128MB DDR2

Ever since my recent rebuild of this machine (transplanted Vista Business with XP Pro SP3), ZSNES 1.51 takes 10 seconds to load, and 10-15 seconds to switch from the emulator to another window. I've tested every possible configuration relevant to what could be causing the lag with the exception of removing SP3 and rolling back to SP2.

Games run fine regardless of play settings. I can enable HQ4x, play in windowed or fullscreen mode, sound works fine, the emulator only crashes when I try to change the video settings (which is a known bug and I've found workarounds for). So the only problem I'm having is the severe process interruptions when switching windows. This was not present in Vista or Vista SP1, nor XP SP2.

Any suggestions here? Or should I just try to roll back to SP2?
This is the same exact problem that I'm having!. I tried doing the processor affinity to 1, that doesn't work, and I'm running Vista Home Premium. Something is up.
Poetikal
Rookie

Post by Poetikal »

I figured out my problem, why it lags when it starts it up and when I drag the arrow out of the window. I had so many different kinds of things being used in the background of my computer when it started it, causing all the slowdowns and lag. Go into MSCONFIG, and change your startup programs and disable what you don't need. That helped me and ZSNES runs fine for me again.

Took me 2 months to figure out.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

It is important to close all the unnecessary apps that consume resources. Especially with laptops using crappy cheap onboard video (which generally use system RAM), those resources are very important.
gllt
NO VOWELS >:[

Post by gllt »

Try Process Lasso, remove un-needed startup items, run as Admin in Vista, those are my best guesses.

Process Lasso is great for affinity/priority control though.
Head

Post by Head »

I have a similar problem.

Im using WinXp Sp2, AMD X2, 3GB RAM and a 690G Motherboard..

The Game(s) starts and at sporadic times the game(s) are lagging for some seconds. This happen every 30-60 seconds.

Not only ZSNES lags; NESTOPIA and SNES9x too.

This Problem exist since i installed my new MoBo (AMD 690G). My System before, NVIDIA based, doesn't show this problems.

I tried to bind them to one Core, disabled DirectDraw and CnQ, different zsnes (btw i'm too stupid to learn the name of the emulator)-Versions and setups...and now i have no idea what i can do.
The only differents between my old installation and this one is a newer DirectX Version (march -> august) and other Chipsets incl. MoBo/Graka Drivers.

There are also no programms in the background.

Does anyone have an idea, what caused this lags?

Greets
Head
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

I've heard turning off Windows Aero/Glass (classic) speeds up programs.
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

neo_bahamut1985 wrote:I've heard turning off Windows Aero/Glass (classic) speeds up programs.
it does, at least from my experience. Might not make a difference on ultra-fast systems like quadcores, though.
aupo

Post by aupo »

I have a somewhat similar bug, but on Linux!

Running on a Intel Core 2 Duo P9500 (IIRC the code) processor, anyways, 2 cores, 2,53GHz.
Video card is a GeForce 9800M GT.

My OS is a 64bit ArchLinux.

My ZSNES is of course a 32bit version, but I have installed the required 32bit libraries and others, so it works fine, normally.

When playing, say, Final Fantasy 5 on ZSNES for an extended period of time (>1h), the program suddenly just freezes. Sound stops and "goes around" again and again, ZSNES won't respond to commands like Save State or what ever. What helps, somewhat, is opening other programs, like a terminal, and just spamming Enter. While I'm spamming Enter, ZSNES will "go forward" again, but the second I stop it, it freezes again. After a while of trying, I usually can get the state saved and then just close ZSNES, but it's a hard one to do.
Given the way ZSNES unfreezes when I make the computer do something (respond to the empty commands in the terminal) it seems to have something to do with ZSNES being somehow unable to force the cpu's to do the math for it. Other possibility is that the processor gets a bit warmer and something goes fubar. This theory is backed up by the fact that when ever ZSNES freezes, the command to see, for instance, cpu temperature ("acpi -V") starts bugging. The command is slow and it gives out obviously untrue information like the cpu temperature being somewhere around 3400 celsius and saying that the computer isn't connected to an AC power source, when it is.

Anyone know anything about this?
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Looks to me that you have -another- (probably hardware) issue that causes this weird info and makes zsnes choke. zsnes itself has no way to do that, get real.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
aupo

Post by aupo »

Hmm, maybe I spelled it out in a bad fashion, but I never actually thought this would be ZSNES's fault (on a basic level, that is), but that still doesn't mean I shouldn't report it here, now does it? Chances are, someone could know what it's all about.
mariogamer

I'm experiencing the same problem here

Post by mariogamer »

Hello,

I'm experiencing the same problem with ZSNES 1.51 on my Vista Home Premium 32 bit.

I have a Intel Core 2 Duo 1.6 GHz and 3 GBs of RAM and every time I start ZSNES, it freezes up my whole computer.

Strange thing is I have another desktop and it's and old AMD 3000+ 1.8 GHz running Windows Vista Business x64 and ZSNES works like a charm.

What is the different here or is there a patch that I should apply or should I just wait for ZSNES 1.52 to come out to fix this ??
ShadowFX
Regular

Re: I'm experiencing the same problem here

Post by ShadowFX »

mariogamer wrote:Hello,What is the different here or is there a patch that I should apply or should I just wait for ZSNES 1.52 to come out to fix this ??
If they decide to release 2.0, I would wait for that. Otherwise, all other available solutions are already present in this thread.
[i]"Change is inevitable; progress is optional"[/i]
sudou

Post by sudou »

Head wrote:I have a similar problem.

Im using WinXp Sp2, AMD X2, 3GB RAM and a 690G Motherboard..

The Game(s) starts and at sporadic times the game(s) are lagging for some seconds. This happen every 30-60 seconds.

Not only ZSNES lags; NESTOPIA and SNES9x too.

This Problem exist since i installed my new MoBo (AMD 690G). My System before, NVIDIA based, doesn't show this problems.

I tried to bind them to one Core, disabled DirectDraw and CnQ, different zsnes (btw i'm too stupid to learn the name of the emulator)-Versions and setups...and now i have no idea what i can do.
The only differents between my old installation and this one is a newer DirectX Version (march -> august) and other Chipsets incl. MoBo/Graka Drivers.

There are also no programms in the background.

Does anyone have an idea, what caused this lags?

Greets
Head
i'm having the same exact problem.
:(
i've always used zsnes and never faced this.

every time it lags the hell out and it's impossible to play.
i'm using a celeron 2,80 ghz 1gb ram
xp service pack 3
ati radeon 9600

don't know what to do..
i already changed the priority, but it didn't matter.