What console for Christmas?

Discuss whatever insanity comes to mind. Please keep it friendly and clean though.

Moderator: General Mods

diminish

What console for Christmas?

Post by diminish »

I really have a dilemma out there. My pool of choices: PS3, Xbox360, PS2, Wii.
- PS2 has the greatest library of them and would be the cheapest, but well, this system had it's time
- PS3 and Xbox360 offer best graphics, but Live isn't free, pad doesn't have an integrated battery (what I really mean with this is stupid Microsoft policy with accesories for every kind of stuff), high rate of failures (RRoD, E74 and stuff); on the other side you can install Linux on PS3 and play with Cell, but not so good library of games and some broken 3rd party titles evens the situation
- Wii? there is maybe 5 games worth playing, am I missing something?
My favorite genre is FPS, I also like jRPGs. What about future releases, which console would get greatest exclusives? Please give me some advice.
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

If you like FPSs and jRPGs, you can't go wrong with an Xbox 360.
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

PS3.
byuu

Post by byuu »

Not on your list, but you should definitely go with the SNES :D
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

If you really think there are "like 5 games" worth owning on the Wii, then well yeah, you're missing something. If that's just a trollish statement instead of a real inquiry, then forget I said anything.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
PHoNyMiKe
Retrosexual

Post by PHoNyMiKe »

out of 150 of my wii games, the only ones I have played for more than 10 minutes are: rockstar table tennis, metroid, zelda, carnival games, guitar hero 3, and brunswick pro bowling. so there's actually 6 games that are good in my opinion. this doesn't count wii sports because that's what poor people who don't have any other games play. plus it's gay.

as for the 360, yes you have to pay for online gaming, but I've heard it has less lag and is just 'better', though I don't see how lag can be blamed on anything but a person's internet connection. as for people who state things without any given reason like 'blackmyst', all 360 owners will say it's better but can't tell you why.

notice how you have ps2 on your list. notice how ps2 is still available brand new in stores, while the original xbox isn't. notice how the ps2 came out first (over 7 years ago), and is still an awesome console, while the original xbox is just a pile of shit unless you get it hacked.

you gotta spend more on a 360 anyways to get stuff the ps3 comes with. wireless internet? oh that's just $99 more. the ps3 is a clear case of when you should muster up a little more money, and pay for the next higher up device. the ps3 is superior to the 360. look at the specs, look at the fact that ps2 smoked the old xbox, plus the fact that the 360 is a year older than the ps3. they'll pry come out with their next xbox in a few years, and the ps3 will still blow it away. then throw in blu-ray too.

if you want to be economical and get the most gaming for your dollar, a ps2 is the way to go. for the price of the other consoles alone, you can get a fully loaded system with a bunch of games. if you have a used games store in your area, I'm sure you'll find any ps2 game you can think of.

please note I am not a playstation fanboy. the only sony product I own is my PSP. it seems hardcore gamers prefer the 360, so if you plan to spend more than 6 hours a day playing video games online, then I'd suggest getting a 360.
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=phonymike]ultimate immortality[/url]
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,zsnes,white,purple.png[/img][/url]
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

Go with PS3 if you have a 1080p HDTVand want to buy Blu-Rays, else go with a 360. The Wii would be great if you are interested on Muramasa the Demon Blade.
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

the 360 is my console of choice. it's got shooters, jRPG's, RTS's, sports, puzzle, xbla, and party games.

the wii has mario, zelda, no more heroes, and metroid. the ps3 has mgs4 and lbp. but it's the best blu-ray player.

multi-platform games aren't worth mentioning, really, except that wii games won't look as good on an HDTV, but they usually have waggle controls added, sometimes to good effect.

the best way to decide is usually to look at current and upcoming exclusives and figure out the console from there. which exclusives do you want to play the most? because it's about the games, and not the hardware.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
diminish

Post by diminish »

Thanks for your replies. I think I'll go with the PS3, what is important factor is possibility of messing with Cell on Linux, which for me, makes PS3 more than a typical console. Other aspects are exclusives and a "complete systemness", also all of my friends which have current gens, have PS3s.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

ratchet & clank, uncharted, and little big planet are amazing ps3 exclusives.

i'd recommend burnout paradise and mega man 9 as well.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

i'd grab a ps3 if it had more than 2 games for it

(disgaea 3, r&c 6)

But since you like FPS you probably want either a ps3 or xball.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
megamanzer0
Regular

Post by megamanzer0 »

you forgot mgs4 D:
class:Trolololo
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

i forgot about uncharted. that's a game that needs to go multi-platform, right there. it would have gone platinum many times over instead of catering to the comparative handful of ps3 owners.

for shooters, the 360 is better for me. i don't like the dual shock placement of the analog sticks for shooters. or the fact that R1 is the trigger in the games i've played. but it might just be that i'm accustomed to the 360 layout. or that the 360 controller is probably one of the best controllers ever.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

megamanzer0 wrote:you forgot mgs4 D:
yea, i forgot the part where i mention i don't like a game just because it's OMGZ KEWL 3D

now if you'll excuse me, i have clancers to shakeshake
in pal, but still better than emus lawl
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

sweener2001 wrote:i forgot about uncharted. that's a game that needs to go multi-platform, right there. it would have gone platinum many times over instead of catering to the comparative handful of ps3 owners.
naughty dog is a 2nd-party developer. uncharted will show up on the 360 the same time ratchet & clank and resistance do.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

i am aware of that fact.

just sayin', is all. it is an amazing game, they could have made so much more money from it.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

PHoNyMiKe wrote:as for people who state things without any given reason like 'blackmyst',
lol and if you make a list then you're a fanboy. Sigh.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
PHoNyMiKe
Retrosexual

Post by PHoNyMiKe »

blackmyst wrote:lol and if you make a list then you're a fanboy. Sigh.
Santa makes lists, so what kind of fanboy is he? yeah, what now.

I was going to get a ps3, but instead dropped like $700 and got parts for a gaming pc. I forgot to mention that for the ps3, you cannot pirate games for yet. on the 360, you can. so if you find yourself too cheap to buy games and want to steal them, and also don't care much about being banned on xbox live, then the 360 would be more favorable towards your pocket book. another reason why I went with gaming pc instead of console.
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=phonymike]ultimate immortality[/url]
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,zsnes,white,purple.png[/img][/url]
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

it's also possible that you'll never get banned.

my cousin hasn't been, and there have been two massive bannings since he modded. just don't make yourself an obvious pirate.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

sweener2001 wrote:it's also possible that you'll never get banned.

my cousin hasn't been, and there have been two massive bannings since he modded. just don't make yourself an obvious pirate.
What's "not making yourself an obvious pirate" ? Not saying ARRRRR every few sentences ?
皆黙って俺について来い!!

adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

or greeting people with ahoy matey?

Or perhaps when you banish someone you make em walk the plank?
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Shiver me timbers, we be sailin' the seven seas aboard the HMS Warez!
diminish

Post by diminish »

Forget what I said previously. I've just ordered brand new SCPH-90004 _^__^. What would you play first? (I'm thinking: Rez, Ico, RE: Code Veronica X, Ridge Racer V, FFX)
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

Atari Jaguar.

JK, I like my PS3. BD discs are very durable and the data density makes the drive quieter. Lack of PS2 emulation is disappointing, though, if I was Sony I would have devoted major resources to software-based PS2 emulation from the beginning. Instead of this Home nonsense that nobody cares about.

A couple of other minor annoyances: Linux has no 3d acceleration, and free stuff included in patches is going away in favor of overpriced DLC cashgrabs. Completed things are probably being stripped from release versions at this point just to have DLC ready.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

grinvader wrote:
sweener2001 wrote:it's also possible that you'll never get banned.

What's "not making yourself an obvious pirate" ? Not saying ARRRRR every few sentences ?
i guess when you flash the bios, you can do stuff like change the drive speed's rpm, game save cheating and online douchebaggery (hacks) are much easier. stuff that MS would actually notice. i'm not completely sure that they can monitor your hdd's rpm, but after encountering so many pirates, i don't see it as a difficult stat to aggregate.

he has a modded 360, but also a gold membership, and he purchases arcade games. he just has a large game list that grows kind of fast. but so did mine the last two months.