Windows 7 Beta available to download on Jan 9th

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

badinsults wrote:as if Vista was the disaster that was ME.
well, in a way or another, it was.

including myself, i found many others who also downgrading back to XP From Vista.

has been said before:
  • Gill_Hamilton wrote:.. Vista was... as well as a piece of shit?
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

what MS goofed up on is dealing out the keys.

I would've parceled them out over a week...

A lottery would've made more sense actually. They should double the number of keys and hold a lottery...

People getting the ISO is an easy non-issue these days...
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

badinsults wrote:The company that I am working for right now even refuses to upgrade to IE7!
You're not the only company. Remember, even the US DOT has banned Vista and IE7.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

franpa wrote:I've scored a constant 174KB/s which is nice since I'm on a 1.5mbit connection.

EDIT: http://blog.hznet.nl/2009/01/10/how-to- ... dows-7-key

1) if your taken to a search engine (windows live search etc.) re-paste the link into the URL box, don't F5.

2) it works with FF 3 and I have a key ^^"

3) takes lots of tries.

4) example of the page you get the key on http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h133/ ... led-36.png
Not working even after 100 refreshes :( Indeed,getting a legit/valid key is harder than winning the lottery
[i]Have a nice kick in da nutz[/i] @~@* c//
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

they took it down so they can add more capacity to give out those keys
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

It is not taken down, I had to refresh numerous times to get a key, If you read the comments on that article I link to they mention a Add-on for Firefox that automatically refreshes pages for you.

The message that says it is taken down is just a ruse to reduce the load for current users by preventing casual non-techno smart users from also downloading. once the extra servers or whatever is up, they will repost the link for the noobs to download from.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
DEFIANT
Joystick Jedi

Post by DEFIANT »

I tried this when it was leaked a month ago....still looks and feels like vista. I'm not impressed. Why is it, when people think of progress, I have to relearn a system from scratch....that's progress?? I don't think so.

They should of just fixed XP and built upon a proven operating system. As far as I'm concerned, XP will be my final stop. I might try React OS when ever it gets out of alpha. I'd go Linux or whatever, but I'm a gamer and I need an environment that's friendly to my games. Even XP is bloated compared to Windows 98, but I always Nlite my XP to remove all the crap I don't need. That way I get XP my way without the crap and MORE secure that the default install. One day Microsoft will listen to the people and make Windows modular and stop changing the UI every time they feel the need to make more money.
[img]http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/2365/pirateuserbartv2.jpg[/img]
E=mc²
"People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people." -V
[url=http://sc2.sourceforge.net/]The Ur-Quan Masters[/url]
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

DEFIANT wrote:Even XP is bloated compared to Windows 98
Yeah. 64 MB ought to be enough for everybody, at least for file managing. :?
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Truth Unknown
Regular

Post by Truth Unknown »

franpa wrote:Vista has WORSE Start Menu bugs then XP! With UAC disabled and an Administrator account, can you delete a folder in the Start Menu that has sub folders? no. Does it instead display some permissions error and create a COPY of what your deleting in the Recycle Bin? Yes -.- (I am the only user installed on the PC)

Sometimes the 2nd bug occurs for no reason o_o as in, also occurs for folders that DON'T contain sub folders.
It's more of a Permissions bug than the Start Menu.

All you need to do is Turn ON UAC and Adjust it to Not Consent for Admin Accounts.
http://www.walkernews.net/2007/06/28/vi ... ty-policy/
http://www.walkernews.net/2007/06/27/ho ... -in-vista/
http://www.walkernews.net/2007/04/18/tw ... -tweakuac/
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

I recently made the move to Vista SP1 and, while I like many of the under the hood changes, the security and file explorer defaults suck. It is my firm belief that access restrictions, user accounts, hidden folders, UAC prompts, system restore, should not be features that come enabled by default. Stop trying to protect people from themselves. It's a good thing I knew how to solve my external hard drive (XP formatted) security access issues, an average user would have been on the phone with India for an hour. I basically could not change anything on it, I didn't have "permission." Funny, I don't fucking recall restricting files from myself, Windows.

Welcome Center is the epitomy of bloat. Oh, great, a useless popup telling me I can do things every time I start windows. You'd think after the mockery of the Office paperclip, they'd have learned to stfu. Is start>settings really that obscure of a location for grandma to find?

Retarded bug #24: When I load files from a program, windows explorer fails to remember that I've disabled per-folder view settings. When I use explorer by itself, it's fine. And of course, there's stuff that always made no sense. "Resize all columns to fit" doesn't make sense as an option, of course I want my columns to not cut off what's in them, it defeats the point of having them. Duh. If anyone should have to click something on every folder, it's the retarded people who don't. Hiding extensions by default never made sense, another lame attempt to try to make things "simpler" that does exactly the opposite. You cannot differentiate files based on images alone. Everyone should be forced to understand files are identified by their extension so they never confuse themselves or people trying to troubleshoot other issues with them.

Now I hear they're trying to remove desktop icons in Windows 7 by default to make things simpler. *sigh* These people have no idea what they're doing. Each new Windows iteration will increase the amount of time it will take me to set it up with a grown man's configuration.
Truth Unknown
Regular

Post by Truth Unknown »

FitzRoy wrote:Welcome Center is the epitomy of bloat. Oh, great, a useless popup telling me I can do things every time I start windows. You'd think after the mockery of the Office paperclip, they'd have learned to stfu. Is start>settings really that obscure of a location for grandma to find?
Grandma: "Start" what? My car?
FitzRoy wrote:Retarded bug #24: When I load files from a program, windows explorer fails to remember that I've disabled per-folder view settings. When I use explorer by itself, it's fine.
Real bug and MS hasn't done anything about it yet, but there is a solution.
FitzRoy wrote:Hiding extensions by default never made sense, another lame attempt to try to make things "simpler." You cannot differentiate files based on images alone, I think the average person is smart enough to understand file extensions.
It's easy to forget to not erase a file extension and blindly click through the warning prompt.
FitzRoy wrote:Now I hear they're trying to remove desktop icons in Windows 7 by default to make things simpler. *sigh* These people have no idea what they're doing. Each new Windows iteration will increase the amount of time it will take me to set it up with a grown man's configuration.
The start menu isn't so bad.

EDIT:
DEFIANT wrote:I tried this when it was leaked a month ago....still looks and feels like vista. I'm not impressed. Why is it, when people think of progress, I have to relearn a system from scratch....that's progress?? I don't think so.
It's to early for 7 to look different, if you look past some of the current changes. Also Vista did enough changes, why go further?
DEFIANT wrote:They should of just fixed XP and built upon a proven operating system. As far as I'm concerned, XP will be my final stop.
So you want another XP based on XP? (XP [5.1] was a fixed up version of 2000 [5.0])
DEFIANT wrote:Even XP is bloated compared to Windows 98, but I always Nlite my XP to remove all the crap I don't need. That way I get XP my way without the crap and MORE secure that the default install.
Vista got the some kind of software and I don't think 7 will have it any different from those devs.
DEFIANT wrote:One day Microsoft will listen to the people and make Windows modular and stop changing the UI every time they feel the need to make more money.
I though Windows 7 was supposed to be Modular.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

arstechnica.com wrote:Still having trouble getting a key? The following are the 10 the system is handing out.
32bit:
QXV7B-K78W2-QGPR6-9FWH9-KGMM7
6JKV2-QPB8H-RQ893-FW7TM-PBJ73
GG4MQ-MGK72-HVXFW-KHCRF-KW6KY
TQ32R-WFBDM-GFHD2-QGVMH-3P9GC
4HJRK-X6Q28-HWRFY-WDYHJ-K8HDH

64bit:
RFFTV-J6K7W-MHBQJ-XYMMJ-Q8DCH
482XP-6J9WR-4JXT3-VBPP6-FQF4M
JYDV8-H8VXG-74RPT-6BJPB-X42V4
D9RHV-JG8XC-C77H2-3YF6D-RYRJ9
7XRCQ-RPY28-YY9P8-R6HD8-84GH3
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Truth Unknown
Regular

Post by Truth Unknown »

Is it really that hard to get keys? I was able to get 2 per CPU, since the download manager didn't want to work with Firefox and I used IE.
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

Truth Unknown wrote:Grandma: "Start" what? My car?
Oh, c'mon, if someone's dumb enough to miss the only button on the screen, she certainly won't know how to close the Welcome Center or load a file from a program menu.
Truth Unknown wrote:It's easy to forget to not erase a file extension and blindly click through the warning prompt.
So make it a double warning prompt. Or at the very least change the default to make them viewable, but not modifiable parts of the name.
Truth Unknown wrote:The start menu isn't so bad.
The only programs I use the start menu navigation for are programs I don't use enough to put on my desktop. Why? Because it's slower than dbl clicking on an icon by like a factor of 5. Besides, what the hell is the desktop space there for? It's not a wall for the wallpaper.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

- people are stupider than you think

- double warning prompt is gay, but so is extension hiding. i show extensions, and when i go rename, windows automatically highlights the filename and leaves the extension alone. problem solved on both sides. did you guys even try it out?

- i personally hate cluttered desktops. and i have easy access to my programs through the start menu. if it's popular enough, it'll be right there. two clicks. four at the most if it's not something i use all the time. oh noes, i lost 2 seconds!

it's good that you've got convictions, but you've got to stop posting in a "this is the only way it should be and any other way is gay" tone. people are different, and from what i've noticed, you fall into a small minority.

EDIT: i forgot to mention that if a program is really deserving, i give a quicklaunch spot. ONE CLICK. SUCK IT. two clicks are so slow
Last edited by sweener2001 on Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
DEFIANT
Joystick Jedi

Post by DEFIANT »

DEFIANT wrote:I tried this when it was leaked a month ago....still looks and feels like vista. I'm not impressed. Why is it, when people think of progress, I have to relearn a system from scratch....that's progress?? I don't think so.
Truth Unknown wrote:It's to early for 7 to look different, if you look past some of the current changes. Also Vista did enough changes, why go further?
When they start moving things around and call it easier, I have my doubts. Between 98 and XP the learning curve was a gradual slope. XP to Vista is a f*cking mountain. I don't like it and I don't think it's easier.
DEFIANT wrote:They should of just fixed XP and built upon a proven operating system. As far as I'm concerned, XP will be my final stop.
Truth Unknown wrote:So you want another XP based on XP? (XP [5.1] was a fixed up version of 2000 [5.0])
Not another XP but keep the same style file system and UI. Hell, even the server version or XP (Win2003 NT 5.2.3790) has some fixes that could of went into the home and pro versions. (Ram Limit) (Stability)

I say fix the problems and gaping holes in security, even if you need to start from scratch. Think about it, If Windows XP didn't work it would of been replaced a long time ago. The reason it lasted this long is simple...it works. Just go under the hood, update the icons give the engine a tweak here and there and cha ching. (Yes, I make it sound simple but I know there are things that can't be done without a rewrite because of kernel restrictions and such.
DEFIANT wrote:Even XP is bloated compared to Windows 98, but I always Nlite my XP to remove all the crap I don't need. That way I get XP my way without the crap and MORE secure that the default install.
Truth Unknown wrote:Vista got the some kind of software and I don't think 7 will have it any different from those devs.
Huh? I'm not sure I follow you. From what I've seen and played with, Windows 7 is Vista with a new name a few things added like the taskbar/launchbar. I've heard that UAC has been toned down as to not ask you every single time about common day things. But all in all the changes that were made to Vista's UI are still apparent in 7. That's enough for me to give it a thumbs down. There isn't a way to go back to the classic look of windows UI (like 95,98,2000,XP). WTH?
DEFIANT wrote:One day Microsoft will listen to the people and make Windows modular and stop changing the UI every time they feel the need to make more money.
Truth Unknown wrote:I though Windows 7 was supposed to be Modular.
By modular I mean the ability to remove components I necessarily don't want or need. Such as the backup system (system restore) that's also present in XP. I have no need for it (I use Acronis True Image). Yes I understand it can be turned off but I prefer just to remove it all together. There's also Internet Explorer, I use Firefox, Paint, I use Paint.net, all the preloaded drivers, all I need are the ones for my current system (wich I slipstream into my install CD/DVD anyway), The built in firewall, I use another, The built in Windows Defender. All that CRAP needs to have a built in way to remove it without the need of third party support to do so.

You see, Windows for me is different form Windows for you. Everyone needs windows to do different things and this is how windows should of been built instead of do it all OS.
Last edited by DEFIANT on Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/2365/pirateuserbartv2.jpg[/img]
E=mc²
"People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people." -V
[url=http://sc2.sourceforge.net/]The Ur-Quan Masters[/url]
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

sweener2001 wrote: it's good that you've got convictions, but you've got to stop posting in a "this is the only way it should be and any other way is gay" tone. people are different, and from what i've noticed, you fall into a small minority.
It's not a matter of preference to point out something that makes no sense. Why do columns cut off filenames by default? Why doesn't Windows show extensions in a way that still prevents accidental deletion? Why do actions, unchecked selections, and window spawns that don't require further user action all look the same according to Windows GUI standards? It's maddeningly nonsensical, it creates annoyances on a grand scale. I've wasted hours trying to overcome Vista's new security measures on a single user PC that I own. Even after disabling UAC, I was being blocked from making changes to files on my XP configured external drive. Fortunately, I'm more savvy than these poor people, my solution wasn't even on this page. The confusion and helplessness is palatable:

http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesper/ ... drive.aspx
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

DEFIANT wrote:
DEFIANT wrote:There isn't a way to go back to the classic look of windows UI (like 95,98,2000,XP). WTH?
It is the first beta, why would they update features now, that are most likely to be there in the final version when there trying to show off whats new in Windows 7?

I actually find the start menu usable in this beta, but it still doesn't beat separate pane's for each folder your viewing :/

All the new fancy transition effects etc. make a notable impact on the perceived quality of the product too, I like them :) Like, open Control Panel and choose an item, the window blanks then the items information fades in from left to right.

My current issue with it is the inability to install Alcohol 120%... that damn driver thing doesn't install... it installs, asks to reboot then after reboot, asks you to install it again then again asks to reboot... etc.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

So, how much time can we expect to have windows 7 in beta? Man, and I had just decided to get a laptop with vista.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

it is expected around 4th quarter of 2009, or 1st quarter of 2010.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Trend Micro Internet Security 2009 does NOT work with Windows 7 build 7000... it causes Blue Screens, randomly wont load for some Windows Sessions, and can't be removed unless it IS loaded -.-

You have to get in and disable the feature that prevents unauthorized system changes... then (reboot if it BSODs after this) use the Trend Micro Support Tool found in the Trend Micro Internet Security 2009 installation folder and uninstall it.

It uses the Windows Installer so it can't be uninstalled from Safe Mode :/
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

make sure to report crap like that.

PS: i'm enjoying the beta so far. it's made my desktop a bit snappier, so it's not as big a hog. but once the beta expires on the desktop, i think i'll just go back to XP on it. it can't really run the new stuff that well, which is sad.

or maybe i'll try and learn me some linux
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

franpa wrote:Trend Micro Internet Security 2009 does NOT work with Windows 7 build 7000... it causes Blue Screens, randomly wont load for some Windows Sessions, and can't be removed unless it IS loaded -.-

You have to get in and disable the feature that prevents unauthorized system changes... then (reboot if it BSODs after this) use the Trend Micro Support Tool found in the Trend Micro Internet Security 2009 installation folder and uninstall it.

If it's not a alpha/beta/test build for Windows 7, don't expect this kind of stuff (firewalls, AV, etc.) to work... seriously
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

FitzRoy wrote: It's not a matter of preference to point out something that makes no sense. Why do columns cut off filenames by default? Why doesn't Windows show extensions in a way that still prevents accidental deletion? Why do actions, unchecked selections, and window spawns that don't require further user action all look the same according to Windows GUI standards? It's maddeningly nonsensical, it creates annoyances on a grand scale. I've wasted hours trying to overcome Vista's new security measures on a single user PC that I own. Even after disabling UAC, I was being blocked from making changes to files on my XP configured external drive. Fortunately, I'm more savvy than these poor people, my solution wasn't even on this page. The confusion and helplessness is palatable:

http://msinfluentials.com/blogs/jesper/ ... drive.aspx
it is when it makes sense to a lot of other people

and accidental extension deletion is implemented. now it's only stupid extension deletion that might need some work, but i haven't had an issue, since changing the extension brings up a prompt, whereas normal file renaming doesn't.

notice that i didn't counter your valid points.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Deathlike2 wrote:
franpa wrote:Trend Micro Internet Security 2009 does NOT work with Windows 7 build 7000... it causes Blue Screens, randomly wont load for some Windows Sessions, and can't be removed unless it IS loaded -.-

If it's not a alpha/beta/test build for Windows 7, don't expect this kind of stuff (firewalls, AV, etc.) to work... seriously
I am aware that programs that work very closely with the O/S such as Anti Virus software will not work well with beta's etc. of the O/S.