Health warnings on video games

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

Francis64
Lurker

Health warnings on video games

Post by Francis64 »

blargg
Regular

Post by blargg »

Damn, your link to a UK news site had me expecting it was those crazy people on another continent, but then I see it's California, where everything can cause cancer. There is probably a neurological link between violence and fantasy violence: those who "have it in their system" go to fantasy to "get it out of their system" (never mind where it comes from, oppression from those in power). But do they really think putting video games in the same health-risk class as cigarettes will make teens less-likely to play them?!?
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

Heh.. this is funny.
Just like all the bullshit these crackpots come up with.

EDIT:
Oh shit, is my use of the term "bullshit" a result of play videogames?
Oh my, I think I'm infected :twisted:
Francis64
Lurker

Post by Francis64 »

Yeah the Register is an English IT magazine, but they cover news from all over the world. This article is about a law in California, but I wouldn't be surprised if a similar thing was announced here in the UK.

As for the constant bashing of video games, saying they're causing violence, they used to say the same thing about movies and rock'n roll.

Maybe it's a way to make people feel less responsible about the consequences of their actions?

"It wasn't my fault. The video game made me do it."
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Moral panic at its finest.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Starman Ghost
Trooper

Post by Starman Ghost »

Quoted for truth, and hilarity.
Article wrote:The type of parent who would buy their 8-year-old Grand Theft Auto is also probably not someone who's going to catch the additional warning — given they've already ignored the ESRB warning, the title, the guns on the cover, and the description on the back of the box.
[code]<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks?
<TheXPhial> vaccuums
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks in a metaphorical sense?
<TheXPhial> black holes
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what just isn't cool?
<TheXPhial> lava?[/code]
Neo Kaiser
Veteran

Post by Neo Kaiser »

Those shit heads seems like they are out of laws. I think there are more important issues than video games. They'll have to do the same with movies.
Yes I know that my grammar sucks!
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

Francis64 wrote:As for the constant bashing of video games, saying they're causing violence, they used to say the same thing about movies and rock'n roll.
and violin music.
Anything that young people do that old people don't must be what is causing them to misbehave. Genius!
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

a california congressman that isn't yee?

it's spreading
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

This law will fail like the other retarded gaming laws thought-out.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Warning: prolonged and/or intense exposure to politics can cause major stupidity
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

Article wrote:The type of parent who would buy their 8-year-old Grand Theft Auto is also probably not someone who's going to catch the additional warning — given they've already ignored the ESRB warning, the title, the guns on the cover, and the description on the back of the box.
This just looks like complete politically-correct garbage to me.
A parent who buys for their child a copy of GTA4 is a bloody good parent.

...A health warning for fully grown adults is absurd. "Hey you, this game contains a lot of violence. You probably shouldn't play it. You're picking it up and thus are thinking about buying it. It's your money to spend and you probably want it, BUT FOR FUCK SAKE DON'T BUY IT".
A child goes in to buy the game: "Hey you, this game is gonna make you grow up violent. And it'll give you aids". I imagine most of these "children" would laugh.

I personally work part-time at a videogame store. When a kid ( who's obviously under 18 ) comes in wanting to buy a game rated 18+, I fucking sell it to him. He wants it, I'm here to give it, and he has the money. No problem. Hey, at least the store gets more money! If I didn't sell it to him, he'd just go to another store!
Last edited by ZH/Franky on Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I'm gonna borrow this for a second...
grinvader? wrote:Warning: prolonged and/or intense exposure to Franky can cause major stupidity
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:I'm gonna borrow this for a second...
grinvader? wrote:Warning: prolonged and/or intense exposure to Franky can cause major stupidity
Prolonged exposure to me will give you cancer. Because I'm awesome.
Yeah.... I'm an idiot. I'm so stupid that I looked at a stop sign and thought it was a tree! Doh!
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

Franky wrote:
This just looks like complete politically-correct garbage to me.
A parent who buys for their child a copy of GTA4 is a bloody good parent.

...A health warning for fully grown adults is absurd. "Hey you, this game contains a lot of violence. You probably shouldn't play it. You're picking it up and thus are thinking about buying it. It's your money to spend and you probably want it, BUT FOR FUCK SAKE DON'T BUY IT".
A child goes in to buy the game: "Hey you, this game is gonna make you grow up violent. And it'll give you aids". I imagine most of these "children" would laugh.

I personally work part-time at a videogame store. When a kid (who's obviously under 18) comes in wanting to buy a game rated 18+, I fucking sell it to him. He wants it, I'm here to give it, and he has the money. No problem. Hey, at least the store gets more money! If I didn't sell it to him, he'd just go to another store!
throw a party when your boss finds out and fires you

it's the same as if you were letting underage kids into R movies
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

throw a party when your boss finds out and fires you

it's the same as if you were letting underage kids into R movies
My boss has seen me do it. She's cool with it.
Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

after seeing the thread title, my first thought was, it something related to Pokémon's seizures or stuff, but then, most games already displaying the lame Epileptic Warning ...
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

They've gone as far as making games have less strobe effects. Take Chrono Trigger DS or Secret of Mana on the virtual console. When the cannon shoots, the flash is now a dim, white pulse (instead of the bright, flickering strobe). In CT DS, Lightning 2/Thundaga no longer has the same
flicker effect, either. Why can't they leave them alone. They don't give anyone I know headaches. Health warning indeed.
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

neo_bahamut1985 wrote:In CT DS, Lightning 2/Thundaga no longer has the same
flicker effect, either. Why can't they leave them alone. They don't give anyone I know headaches. Health warning indeed.
That's a little bit like saying "Why can't they remove all these wheelchair ramps everywhere. No one I know's in a wheelchair." but ok.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

neo_bahamut1985 wrote:They've gone as far as making games have less strobe effects. Take Chrono Trigger DS or Secret of Mana on the virtual console. When the cannon shoots, the flash is now a dim, white pulse (instead of the bright, flickering strobe). In CT DS, Lightning 2/Thundaga no longer has the same
That's actually been a common VC problem.
They actually use the original ROM image, then patch it.

Anyways, it's all because some dipshit sued them for not warning them about flashing lights triggering some kinds of seizures... despite the warning being packed in with every game from the NES and up, and printed on the back of every Gamecube package or later.

Anyways, I'm actually agreeing with Bahumat here. It is a day that shall live on in infamy.

You can't make anything safe for everyone, and the fact that it took decades for someone to get around to suing for something that's been there since the fucking Atari era pretty much highlights how dumb the lawsuit was in the first place.
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

Are people really that ignorant to not read the warnings in the first place? Leave it up to one jerk to ruin it for the rest of us.
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

Franky wrote: Prolonged exposure to me will give you cancer....
Yeah.... I'm an idiot.
oh man I think this might actually be true. breakthrough.
Last edited by Panzer88 on Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Panzer88 wrote:
Franky wrote: Prolonged exposure to me will give you cancer....
Yeah.... I'm an idiot.
oh man I think this might actually be true
QFT
Gil_Hamilton wrote:You can't make anything safe for everyone, and the fact that it took decades for someone to get around to suing for something that's been there since the fucking Atari era pretty much highlights how dumb the lawsuit was in the first place.
How about hot coffee? I mean... c'mon.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Deathlike2 wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:You can't make anything safe for everyone, and the fact that it took decades for someone to get around to suing for something that's been there since the fucking Atari era pretty much highlights how dumb the lawsuit was in the first place.
How about hot coffee? I mean... c'mon.
Sorry man, I don't swing that way.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

AWKward.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]