Health warnings on video games

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

whicker
Trooper

Post by whicker »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:You can't make anything safe for everyone, and the fact that it took decades for someone to get around to suing for something that's been there since the fucking Atari era pretty much highlights how dumb the lawsuit was in the first place.
How about hot coffee? I mean... c'mon.
Sorry man, I don't swing that way.
I was in a law class back in the 90's and looked at the case in depth. The McDonald's coffee case actually made sense. It was dangerous to serve somebody, cramped in a car, a 180-190 degree Fahrenheit liquid in a flimsy Styrofoam container. The fact that this case is often used as an example of a frivolous lawsuit is quite sad and actually weakens the argument.
powerspike
Regular

Post by powerspike »

I'm just going to take a shoot in the dark here. I think he might of been talking about the unused content in GTA:SA that was unearthed by hackers.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

powerspike wrote:I'm just going to take a shoot in the dark here.
:wink:

SNARKY SNARKY man I've had too much time today.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
powerspike
Regular

Post by powerspike »

I just said it in the off chance I might actually be wrong. I wasn't trying to be Snarky or anything. :)
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Deathlike2 wrote:
Panzer88 wrote:
Franky wrote: Prolonged exposure to me will give you cancer....
Yeah.... I'm an idiot.
oh man I think this might actually be true
QFT
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

powerspike wrote:I just said it in the off chance I might actually be wrong. I wasn't trying to be Snarky or anything. :)
crap I didn't write that very well. No, you totally wrote it right except it's a SHOT in the dark, not a SHOOT in the dark, I was the one being snarky because I had NOTHING to do tonight.

You're all good man.

Man, OCD grammer when I can't even fucking spell. I blame my 6th grade teacher.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

whicker wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:You can't make anything safe for everyone, and the fact that it took decades for someone to get around to suing for something that's been there since the fucking Atari era pretty much highlights how dumb the lawsuit was in the first place.
How about hot coffee? I mean... c'mon.
Sorry man, I don't swing that way.
I was in a law class back in the 90's and looked at the case in depth. The McDonald's coffee case actually made sense. It was dangerous to serve somebody, cramped in a car, a 180-190 degree Fahrenheit liquid in a flimsy Styrofoam container. The fact that this case is often used as an example of a frivolous lawsuit is quite sad and actually weakens the argument.
Wrong hot coffee.

Also...
The fact that McDonald's had extensive records of people being injured by the coffee, and claimed people wanted it that way when their own research showed people didn't want it that way hurt their case a lot.

They knew it wasn't safe. They knew no one WANTED coffee that would literally cook their mouth if they tried to drink it. And they kept serving it anyways, so they could use cheaper coffee beans and settle out of court every time some kid spilled his mom's coffee.
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

"Hey mum, I burnt myself. It hurts! What do I do?".
Mother: "Sue the people who let you burn yourself. That will make everything better".
blargg
Regular

Post by blargg »

"Hey mum, I burnt myself. It required skin grafts! What do I do?".
Mother: "Sue the people who make it unreasonably easy to burn yourself, and who negligently hand you things that are unreasonably hot, beyond expectation. That will make everything better".

Fixed that for you.

Anyone would agree that beyond some temperature, it's too hot to be safely selling. Well, guess what? It was beyond that temperature.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

yeah, I don't even understand that, I like things warm, but they have to be drinkable, AKA, you can take a giant swig of it and have not even the slightest scalding on mouth or tongue, seems that NO ONE shares my opinion as they all serve scalding drinks.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

i serve my bleach brew at room temperature

noone complains

at least not about that kind of heat
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

How can people not realize that coffee is going to be hot? "Gee, I didn't know it was hot, I thought it was supposed to be cold!" Don't they say on the machines that the product will be hot and/or coffee may exceed 160 degrees? Are these people who get burned blind or just too lazy to read? Next thing you know and people will be suing McDonalds for getting fat. People sue for the dumbest reasons nowadays.
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

neo_bahamut1985 wrote:How can people not realize that coffee is going to be hot? "Gee, I didn't know it was hot, I thought it was supposed to be cold!" Don't they say on the machines that the product will be hot and/or coffee may exceed 160 degrees? Are these people who get burned blind or just too lazy to read? Next thing you know and people will be suing McDonalds for getting fat. People sue for the dumbest reasons nowadays.
Suing =/= Winning.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

neo_bahamut1985 wrote:How can people not realize that coffee is going to be hot? "Gee, I didn't know it was hot, I thought it was supposed to be cold!" Don't they say on the machines that the product will be hot and/or coffee may exceed 160 degrees? Are these people who get burned blind or just too lazy to read? Next thing you know and people will be suing McDonalds for getting fat. People sue for the dumbest reasons nowadays.
You really expect to be served coffee hot enough to LITERALLY cook your mouth if you drink it?

The lawsuit in question was not about mild discomfort.
It was about DEAD COOKED FLESH, which SHOULD NOT HAPPEN when you spill something you are EXPECTED TO DRINK.

If it will cook your crotch, it will ALSO cook your tongue.

Stop being a dumbfuck.
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

in general, Fast Food coffee is kept at a temperature twice or more what a home coffee maker would use...
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
neo_bahamut1985 wrote:...stupid stream...
Stop being a dumbfuck.
that's not happening.

if he couldn't even read the posts explaining the case (only 3 and 5 posts above, even!) in this thread, all hope is lost.

he's retarded, and i don't do it out of tough love, it's pure spite at this point. i can't stand stupid, and the levels neo-bahamut exhibits are insane. like i'm-surprised-he-hasn't-killed-himself-with-a-baby-chew-toy-yet stupid. but knowing him, he probably can't get it to work.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

funkyass wrote:in general, Fast Food coffee is kept at a temperature twice or more what a home coffee maker would use...
You would think by now they would offer ice coffee...
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Coffee's main appeal is the smell, not the taste (unless you add stuff), so it wouldn't make sense.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

むかつく奴等だなっ。。。侮辱する事しか出来ないみたいな。
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

neo_bahamut1985 wrote:It is sickening奴等. . . Insult not only to like.
?
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

creaothceann wrote:
neo_bahamut1985 wrote:i'm a weeaboo
?
makes perfect sense to me *shrug*
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

creaothceann wrote:Coffee's main appeal is the smell, not the taste (unless you add stuff), so it wouldn't make sense.
I thought it was about the caffiene and energy..
creaothceann wrote:
neo_bahamut1985 wrote:i'm a weeaboo
?
Go figure, I guess weeaboos never learn.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

I remember the case of the "Toyoda". Some chick waitress won a competition the company she works for held, and when she went to claim her Toyoda prize, the company gave her literally a toy Yoda. She sued and won the case, as it was ruled the company was intentionally being deceptive. The classic part was the picture of the very pissed off woman next to her "toy" Yoda doll.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

FirebrandX wrote:I remember the case of the "Toyoda". Some chick waitress won a competition the company she works for held, and when she went to claim her Toyoda prize, the company gave her literally a toy Yoda. She sued and won the case, as it was ruled the company was intentionally being deceptive. The classic part was the picture of the very pissed off woman next to her "toy" Yoda doll.
I remember a case similar to this.. where a radio station was advertising what would you do for a hundred grand.. needless to say she won and was given the hundred grand.. yeah, the CANDY BAR 100 Grand.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Dullaron
Lurker

Post by Dullaron »

Health warnings on video games. Hmmm... Think of this way.

1. Is there any people getting fucked by a mule?

2. Does it give you a real gun or any kind to kill real people?

3. Does it give you bio gas chamber to breathe on?

:twisted:
Window Vista Home Premium 32-bit / Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40Ghz / 3.00 GB RAM / Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT