bsnes v0.039 released

Archived bsnes development news, feature requests and bug reports. Forum is now located at http://board.byuu.org/
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

byuu wrote:
So with qt would true full screen be possible now
I'm not adding true fullscreen support, sorry. There's just no need for it anymore with hardware accelerated blitting. I already have smooth video, just match your monitor to it, which is only a problem for legacy CRTs.
Aha! This explains why bsnes was bugging out when I used powerstrip for a fullscreen custom res on startup. Powerstrip needs the program to use true fullscreen and not maximized window to work.
henke37
Lurker

Post by henke37 »

Of course not, it's linked with it.
belegdol
Hazed

Post by belegdol »

I'd like to make a somewhat orthogonal comment. I just checked 0.039 and it seems to work nicely. As you might remember I found a small glitch in the PulseAudio driver, and now I have done some more investigation. The sound quality itself is perfect, so is CPU usage. The only problem are PAL games. With ALSA and OSS drivers, both NTSC and PAL video animation is smooth (I have video sync enabled). With PulseAudio, however, NTSC is perfectly fine but PAL video animation is jerky - something similar to what happens when you disable video sync, but a bit smoother than that. I tested using Super Metroid, the panning in the intro is a very good test imo. So maybe the problem lies somewhere in 50 Hz (PAL) -> 60 Hz (my lcd refresh rate) conversion? What does the audio driver have to do with that? Cheers, and keep up the awesome work!
belegdol
Hazed

Post by belegdol »

One more thing: if you kill the PA daemon (pulseaudio -k) and launch bsnes with a PAL game and video sync enabled, the framerate will hit 60 Hz and the animation will be smooth. So, is that a driver limitation?
burning shadow
Rookie

Post by burning shadow »

belegdol wrote:PAL game
belegdol wrote:60 Hz
Hmm...
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

burning shadow wrote:
belegdol wrote:PAL game
belegdol wrote:60 Hz
Hmm...
It's called PAL60, aka PAL-M. It almost mocks the NTSC spec.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
burning shadow
Rookie

Post by burning shadow »

adventure_of_link wrote:It's called PAL60, aka PAL-M. It almost mocks the NTSC spec.
Was there a SNES unit for that system? And bsnes can emulate it?
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

it'd be a super famicom, and I don't suppose it's so much in the console but more something that your television would support. These days there is usually an option in your game software when you boot it up but it's the software more than the hardware as far as I understand.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
burning shadow
Rookie

Post by burning shadow »

Panzer88 wrote:it'd be a super famicom, and I don't suppose it's so much in the console but more something that your television would support. These days there is usually an option in your game software when you boot it up but it's the software more than the hardware as far as I understand.
TV support is needed if there is something connected to it can produce signal in such standard. ;) As for SNES, I dont think there was a 60 Hz PAL version. Thats why I was surprized seeing PAL games running at 60 Hz. I feel something wrong about it. Maybe I'm missing something..
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

I don't know if this works the same at all but my tv supports bout 50hz and 60hz, I have an NTSC ps2 but I can run PAL PS2 games in either their 50hz mode or if the have a 60hz mode that too. I can even force non 60hz games to run in 60hz.

I'm assuming since no PAL games were designed for 60hz televisions back then because they weren't around or weren't common (to my knowledge) that you would have to use this forcing method.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Panzer88 wrote:it'd be a super famicom
No it wouldn't. Japan uses NTSC.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
sorry, I have this long running confusion from growing up in southeast asia, I had a bunch of Australian buddies that lived there that had "super famicoms".

I know not that in Australia proper it was called the super nintendo but I was always under the assumption back then that pal super nintendos were called super famicoms from this experience.
burning shadow
Rookie

Post by burning shadow »

Most PAL games could run on NTSC console and vice versa, but there is no option in bsnes allowing to force a PAL game to run at 60 fps. When I load a PAL game, it always runs at 50 fps. So, I find it weird that belegdol managed to run it at 60 fps.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Also NTSC runs at 59.xxhz doesn't it, where as PaAL-M is 60hz?
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

burning shadow:
Try "misc.show_advanced_options" set to true.

http://i39.tinypic.com/33e25nn.jpg
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
burning shadow
Rookie

Post by burning shadow »

creaothceann wrote:burning shadow:
Oh. I see now. Still, I don't think it's a good idea to run PAL games at 60 Hz anyway. :roll:
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

burning shadow wrote:
creaothceann wrote:burning shadow:
Oh. I see now. Still, I don't think it's a good idea to run PAL games at 60 Hz anyway. :roll:
Depends on the ame. A lot of games from that era weren't converted properly, and running then at 60Hz made them run at the right speed.
Or remove bugs, in some cases.

Though... why not play the US versions? Aside from Probotector VS Contra nostalgia.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
And even still:

1) PAL60 = NTSC (pretty much)
and 2) Europe called the SNES the Super Famicom IIRC.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

adventure_of_link wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:
And even still:

you're right, see my previous post, about growing up in south east asia.
burning shadow
Rookie

Post by burning shadow »

Funny thing, but in Russia, it was actually SNES, not Super Famicom.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

adventure_of_link wrote:Europe called the SNES the Super Famicom, IIRC.
Nope, AFAIK.

Japan
Europe and elsewhere
Wikipedia wrote:The SNES was released in the United Kingdom and Ireland in April 1992 for GB£150, with a German release following a few weeks later. The PAL region versions of the console use the Japanese Super Famicom design, except for labeling and the length of the joypad leads.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

I have had a couple of instances where bsnes runs a loaded PAL game at NTSC speeds before self-correcting. I need to investigate this more and find out what triggers it.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

creaothceann wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote:Europe called the SNES the Super Famicom, IIRC.
Nope, AFAIK.

Japan
Europe and elsewhere
Wikipedia wrote:The SNES was released in the United Kingdom and Ireland in April 1992 for GB£150, with a German release following a few weeks later. The PAL region versions of the console use the Japanese Super Famicom design, except for labeling and the length of the joypad leads.
That's right, you're right.. I was thinking that grinvader had a super famicom for some reason and grin's european so..
NSRT here.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

adventure_of_link wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:
And even still:

PAL60 != NTSC. Sure, they have the same frame rate(unless you're in one of the truly bizarre nations that uses NSTC50), but that's a far cry from pretty much the same.
belegdol
Hazed

Post by belegdol »

I think we have a misunderstanding here, the PAL game was running at 60 Hz because the video sync was limiting it, not because it was supposed to. With PA daemon running, it was at 50 Hz (albeit the animation was not smooth).