XBOX360 CD release button?

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

Lord Alpha
Lurker

XBOX360 CD release button?

Post by Lord Alpha »

So, I bought my XBOX 360 after Christmas last year and I played it for like three weeks. I went to go play some Battlefront 2 last night online and I received the always dreaded Red Ring Of Death :(

I want to exchange it (The store I bought it from has a 30-day return policy) but there's a disc in the drive, and even if I turn the power on, I can't eject the disc. Does the console have an "emergency eject" button/mechanism I can use to open the drive manually?
It is better to be silent and thought a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt

I am Zophar, Master of Sh*t!

[url=http://archlyn.bravejournal.com]View my blog[/url]
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

google xbox 360 drive eject mechanism wrote:http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906935
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
diminish

Post by diminish »

Well, isn't it ridiculous? Of course Xbox case isn't nothing new, but from my experience failing electronics is becoming more and more common these days. Dear Corporations, CHICKITY-CHECK YA SELF BEFORE YOU WRIGGITY-WRECK YA SELF.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

the only electronics that have let me down recently is cell phones. pieces of SHITE I tell you.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

diminish wrote:Well, isn't it ridiculous? Of course Xbox case isn't nothing new, but from my experience failing electronics is becoming more and more common these days. Dear Corporations, CHICKITY-CHECK YA SELF BEFORE YOU WRIGGITY-WRECK YA SELF.
You know what's ridiculous, posting NON-HELPFUL stuff in a thread where someone is obviously asking for help.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
diminish

Post by diminish »

Joe Camacho wrote:
diminish wrote:Well, isn't it ridiculous? Of course Xbox case isn't nothing new, but from my experience failing electronics is becoming more and more common these days. Dear Corporations, CHICKITY-CHECK YA SELF BEFORE YOU WRIGGITY-WRECK YA SELF.
You know what's ridiculous, posting NON-HELPFUL stuff in a thread where someone is obviously asking for help.
From what I can tell, help was provided by odditude giving the best possible source, I was trying to be helpful by trying to show a bit of emphaty about the situation. Sorry for being totally useless :cry:.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

emphaty is now the most badass way to fail at empathy

the phat way
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Hate to contribute, but this is what happens when you buy from china.

that being said, I thought the red rings of death has been taken care of :?
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
diminish

Post by diminish »

grinvader wrote:emphaty is now the most badass way to fail at empathy

the phat way
Lord have mercy upon word formation :o.
adventure_of_link wrote:
Hate to contribute, but this is what happens when you buy from china.

that being said, I thought the red rings of death has been taken care of :?
That's right, but nowadays most of stuff comes from China, for example PS2 assembly has been moved to China since V9. What can typical consumer do about it?
Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

diminish wrote:What can typical consumer do about it?
simply complain (and occasionaly sues *invokes certain lawyer*)
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

adventure_of_link wrote:that being said, I thought the red rings of death has been taken care of :?
The latest revision, named Jasper, is supposed to be the one with fewer failure rates. MS should've waited and fixed the hardware problems instead of rushing the 360 for release.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Starman Ghost
Trooper

Post by Starman Ghost »

Rashidi wrote:
diminish wrote:What can typical consumer do about it?
simply complain (and occasionaly sues *invokes certain lawyer*)
If you're thinking about who you're thinking, he's lost his license.
[code]<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks?
<TheXPhial> vaccuums
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what sucks in a metaphorical sense?
<TheXPhial> black holes
<Guo_Si> Hey, you know what just isn't cool?
<TheXPhial> lava?[/code]
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

snkcube wrote:
adventure_of_link wrote:that being said, I thought the red rings of death has been taken care of :?
The latest revision, named Jasper, is supposed to be the one with fewer failure rates. MS should've waited and fixed the hardware problems instead of rushing the 360 for release.
Yes, you probably ended up with an ancient xbox360 that uses monolithic heat sinks that fail :/
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
blargg
Regular

Post by blargg »

adventure_of_link wrote:Hate to contribute, but this is what happens when you buy from china.
Actually, ROHS is the new "Made in China", only this was done intentionally.
Lord Alpha
Lurker

Post by Lord Alpha »

@odditude

Thank you sir.
franpa wrote:
snkcube wrote:
Yes, you probably ended up with an ancient xbox360 that uses monolithic heat sinks that fail :/
And how would I be able to avoid getting another one of those? Is there some method of being able to tell without opening the box?
It is better to be silent and thought a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt

I am Zophar, Master of Sh*t!

[url=http://archlyn.bravejournal.com]View my blog[/url]
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

model/serial number or even easier, power supply wattage. the new ones use 175 WATTs IIRC.

All of them are listed on the xbox 360 box and the on appropriate devices.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
odditude

Post by odditude »

Lord Alpha wrote:And how would I be able to avoid getting another one of those? Is there some method of being able to tell without opening the box?
arstechnica.com wrote:The absolute, idiot-proof tell? "12,1A" shown on the power information on the back of the console. You may need to move the system slightly to read this information through the open slot on the box, but its worth it.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Wattage is another idiot proof way, the new consoles that use a 65nm processor use less power and have lower rated power supplies.
odditude

Post by odditude »

franpa wrote:Wattage is another idiot proof way, the new consoles that use a 65nm processor use less power and have lower rated power supplies.
...which you can't see without opening the box.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Use the X-Ray visor ?
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

odditude wrote:
franpa wrote:Wattage is another idiot proof way, the new consoles that use a 65nm processor use less power and have lower rated power supplies.
...which you can't see without opening the box.
Actually, you CAN.

All 360s use the same voltages, so by reading the amperage, you know the wattage.

Which doesn't mean franpa's being anything other than unhelpful, but...
Not to mention some of the new consoles ship with the older, more robust power supplies, so his test has false negatives as well as requiring you to open the package.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Eh, it was the most solid reason posted in the sticky over on the official xbox 360 forum.. may have changed recently though.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Wouldn't it tell you the PSU rating somewhere in the manual anyway :?

Barring that, doing what Gil said will only give what the system is using at any one given time.. The PSU could be say, 500 watts max but actual mileage may vary (meaning it could use as much as 350-400 watts.)

And then of course there's the matter of different AC voltages around the world.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

adventure_of_link wrote: Barring that, doing what Gil said will only give what the system is using at any one given time.. The PSU could be say, 500 watts max but actual mileage may vary (meaning it could use as much as 350-400 watts.)
If you have the SYSTEM'S RATED amperage, you know what the SYSTEM'S EXPECTED current drain is. And multiplying that by the voltage gets you the system's rated wattage.

The rating label is not a random momentary measurement.