Feature Request: More or User-Selectable Resolutions

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

SailorSat

Feature Request: More or User-Selectable Resolutions

Post by SailorSat »

Heya folks,
I'm running ZSNES on my modified Arcade Cab and would need some more 'classic' Resolutions (most likely 321x240 [NO TYPO! :)] or at least something more 'low' than 640x480.
Don't know why but selecting 256x224 (was is the lowest possible fullscreen res) seems to switch to 640x480 with an somewhat ugly blur (hardware stretching) to it.
Murdock
Rookie

Re: Feature Request: More or User-Selectable Resolutions

Post by Murdock »

SailorSat wrote:Heya folks,
I'm running ZSNES on my modified Arcade Cab...
This really dosn't awnser your question, but I can't help myself.

Are you using the MAMEWAH frontend for ZSNES? It's great for cabinet controls plus you can make a pretty nice looking frontend with it.

Also I was just wondering what type of display are you using, I plan on building one myself once I get a steady cash flow. Original display, monitor, or one of those oh so sweet, but yet so spendy arcade monitors from www.wellsgardner.com

Disclaimer-
Murdock has no affiliation with either MAMEWAH or Wells-Gardner.
[quote="Clements"]People who [i]dye[/i] their hair blonde are usually the dumb ones, since they often care more about their outward appearance than their personality or intellect.[/quote]
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

The snes's base resolution is 256*224. It can, however, use a hires mode of 512*448.
Using any resolution under 512*448 prevents you from using hires. This will cause trouble in all the games using this display mode.

I do not advise you to go under 512*448.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
illegal eagle
Savestate Pimp

Post by illegal eagle »

Seconded. And in case of PAL games it's even 256x239 or 512x478.
"Other people can give you more suggestions as I just lost all my motivation to respond further to this post."
[i] - Nightcrawler[/i]

[url=http://www.geocities.com/illegal_eagle_2003/]vSNES v2.00[/url]: My SNES savestate viewer.
hydr0x
Rookie

Post by hydr0x »

illegal eagle wrote:Seconded. And in case of PAL games it's even 256x239 or 512x478.
those modes should be added too btw
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

illegal eagle wrote:Seconded. And in case of PAL games it's even 256x239 or 512x478.
All those extra lines are black, so we could care less about these extra borders, you know.

Tell me the games which were made to use the full 256*239 PAL res and maybe I'll change my opinion.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
illegal eagle
Savestate Pimp

Post by illegal eagle »

Sure, you're right. But there's a small potential for homebrewn ROMs, and a new standard should include all eventualities.
"Other people can give you more suggestions as I just lost all my motivation to respond further to this post."
[i] - Nightcrawler[/i]

[url=http://www.geocities.com/illegal_eagle_2003/]vSNES v2.00[/url]: My SNES savestate viewer.
MaxSt
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by MaxSt »

DirectX doesn't let the program to choose any resolution it wants.

DirectX provides a list of resolutions supported by hardware, and only one of these can be selected.

MaxSt.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

MaxSt wrote:DirectX doesn't let the program to choose any resolution it wants.

DirectX provides a list of resolutions supported by hardware, and only one of these can be selected.

MaxSt.
Hmm, never knew that.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
SailorSat

Post by SailorSat »

@Murdock: using the original arcade monitor with an 'ArcadeVGA' which outputs 15khz.

@MaxST: actually directx lists a load of resolutions over here (about 20 'below' 640x480)
MaxSt
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by MaxSt »

SailorSat wrote:over here
over where?
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

SailorSat wrote:@MaxST: actually directx lists a load of resolutions over here (about 20 'below' 640x480)
That's because your hardware supports those settings.

Also, an application like PowerStrip modifies driver files for the video and display to create custom resolutions.