Idea: bsnes logo contest

Archived bsnes development news, feature requests and bug reports. Forum is now located at http://board.byuu.org/
gllt
NO VOWELS >:[

Post by gllt »

i liek, but its somewhat off

not sure how.

still awesome
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

gllt wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:
Gleasonator wrote:Heehee.
Put it on a Genesis cartridge.
Please?
WOW I DON'T NO HAO PUT PORTABLENETWORKGRAFIX OVER JAYPEG
My own image editing skills are poor at best.

Katana bikini girl edit: man, you really suck at quoting lately. Buck up now !
Good to know Aya's got my back.
Last edited by Gil_Hamilton on Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
henke37
Lurker

Post by henke37 »

I just remembered that maybe we need new icons to go with the logo, but you guys know how to make a 16x16 design look good, right?
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

You can put this one on your Genesis cartridge:

Tee-hee
[i]Have a nice kick in da nutz[/i] @~@* c//
Gleasonator
Rookie

Post by Gleasonator »

byuu wrote:But anyway, all lowercase please.
gllt wrote:its somewhat off
Yes it is, and I blame the font. I'm using Arial Rounded, distorted in Photoshop to attempt to emulate the official font. If anyone knows the name of the official font, I'm sure I'll be able to get my hands on it and make this image better.
gllt

Post by gllt »

if Im not allowed to do this or if you want the source (.psd) then I'll remove/give it to you etc

I don't want rights for anything I really don't care
Thristian
Hazed

Post by Thristian »

Gleasonator wrote:If anyone knows the name of the official font, I'm sure I'll be able to get my hands on it and make this image better.
I tried a couple of online font-identification services, and the closest thing I found was Agency FB Bold Condensed, which still isn't right (the R is particular is different). It's perfectly possible Nintendo's graphic artists just drew the letters by hand without using a pre-existing font - they're pretty simple, no great typography skill needed.
Gleasonator
Rookie

Post by Gleasonator »

Thristian wrote:Agency FB Bold Condensed

I know the letters are slightly warped along the edges, but I'll be able to fix that soon... just wanted to get some general thoughts on this one first.
gllt wrote:if Im not allowed to do this or if you want the source (.psd) then I'll remove/give it to you etc
Oh, no. If anyone feels that they can make an improvement to my image/images, please feel free to do so. After all, we'd want only the best image(s) in bsnes.
gllt

Post by gllt »

I feel like I screwed this one up a bit, whoops.
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

Thristian wrote:
Gleasonator wrote:If anyone knows the name of the official font, I'm sure I'll be able to get my hands on it and make this image better.
I tried a couple of online font-identification services, and the closest thing I found was Agency FB Bold Condensed, which still isn't right (the R is particular is different). It's perfectly possible Nintendo's graphic artists just drew the letters by hand without using a pre-existing font - they're pretty simple, no great typography skill needed.
The closest I found was an italic Eurostile (or Eurostyle) font. Again the R's were slightly off among a few other differences. I agree that Nintendo's artists probably just designed their own fonts. Prevents having to deal with lawsuits or royalty claims I imagine... Though I remember some years back, Nintendo and a few other companies had to pay astronomical amounts of money after a patent holder successfully sued them over the use of displaying graphics on a TV (or something to that effect).
NES NTSC palette file:

http://www.firebrandx.com/downloads/fbx2pal.zip
Gleasonator
Rookie

Post by Gleasonator »

Here's an update on the Agency one.

Still experimenting. Thanks for the help, guys.

EDIT: And here's for you people who like gloss.

EDIT2: Small black drop shadow.

gllt

Post by gllt »

Good job man.

EDIT; random mod
less awful
Last edited by gllt on Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

Gleasonator wrote:

This one, only a little bit less gloss and it will hit the sweet spot.
NES NTSC palette file:

http://www.firebrandx.com/downloads/fbx2pal.zip
gllt

Post by gllt »

FirebrandX wrote:
Gleasonator wrote:

This one, only a little bit less gloss and it will hit the sweet spot.

like this?
Thristian
Hazed

Post by Thristian »

Gleasonator wrote:Here's an update on the Agency one.

You seem to have figured it out yourself quite nicely, but just in case anyone was curious, the "SUPER NINTENDO" text of the original logo is slanted exactly 37 degrees to the right (I had to skew it back exactly 37 degrees to get a nice upright font for more reliable auto-identification)

Also, the text in the block at the bottom seems to be "Helvetica Neue LT Std Bold Oblique Condensed" (it might just be ordinary Helvetica rather than Helvetica Neue, but I don't have it handy.) Also, the space between the letters and the outside edges should be closer to the space between the letters.

<-- font nerd.

EDIT: Just for sheer completeness' sake, I believe the "START" and "SELECT" controller labels are also Bold Oblique Condensed Helvetica, while the "X Y A B" labels are Bold Expanded Helvetica.
Last edited by Thristian on Sat Feb 21, 2009 5:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

gllt wrote:Image
Ooh. Could you do a bigger version of just the left part, with that filter on? Looks like candy...
I bring the trouble.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

why did you all ignore Byuu when he said the "b" had to be differentiated from the "SNES"?
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
gllt

Post by gllt »

franpa wrote:why did you all ignore Byuu when he said the "b" had to be differentiated from the "SNES"?
creativity killer

ps DMG thats not really a filter, its a combo effect of trial and error, so I can reproduce similar candy hurr

franpa; Image
byuu

Post by byuu »

franpa wrote:why did you all ignore Byuu when he said the "b" had to be differentiated from the "SNES"?
Probably because I never said that :P
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Ah my bad, Deathlike said that.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
gllt

Post by gllt »

wheres the franpa alerts
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

gllt wrote:wheres the franpa alerts
http://linksadventure.no-ip.org/pictures/franpa-alert/

Seriously, whoever has FTP access to the zboard server, RIGHT THE FUCK NOW, should upload these Franpa alerts and make them board emoticons, ffs.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Dullaron
Lurker

Post by Dullaron »

I always thought with a letter b front of snes stand for Bitches Super Nintendo. :twisted:
Window Vista Home Premium 32-bit / Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40Ghz / 3.00 GB RAM / Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
Gleasonator
Rookie

Post by Gleasonator »

FirebrandX wrote:This one, only a little bit less gloss and it will hit the sweet spot.
How about this?

Thanks to Thristian for information on the fonts. I found the light font to be a bit too thin for this logo, though, so I used a heavy one. It's still the same font, though.

EDIT: Toyed with the gloss a bit more.I had originally tried toning down the gloss on the red text, but I think it was fine there. It's the buttons on the left that were a little much.

Thoughts?
Thristian
Hazed

Post by Thristian »

Gleasonator wrote:Image

Thoughts?
Gorgeous.