Idea: bsnes logo contest

Archived bsnes development news, feature requests and bug reports. Forum is now located at http://board.byuu.org/
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

agreed, very nice.

ps need moar candy plz
I bring the trouble.
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

"Unapplicable"? At first I thought it was a typo for inapplicable, but the irony is when you look it up on the web. Unapplicable is defined as inapplicable!
NES NTSC palette file:

http://www.firebrandx.com/downloads/fbx2pal.zip
l3v3l

Post by l3v3l »

Gleasonator wrote:
FirebrandX wrote:This one, only a little bit less gloss and it will hit the sweet spot.
How about this?

Thanks to Thristian for information on the fonts. I found the light font to be a bit too thin for this logo, though, so I used a heavy one. It's still the same font, though.

EDIT: Toyed with the gloss a bit more.I had originally tried toning down the gloss on the red text, but I think it was fine there. It's the buttons on the left that were a little much.

Thoughts?
In my opinion your second one is the best atm!
DataPath
Lurker

Post by DataPath »

Gleasonator wrote:
FirebrandX wrote:This one, only a little bit less gloss and it will hit the sweet spot.
How about this?

Thanks to Thristian for information on the fonts. I found the light font to be a bit too thin for this logo, though, so I used a heavy one. It's still the same font, though.

EDIT: Toyed with the gloss a bit more.I had originally tried toning down the gloss on the red text, but I think it was fine there. It's the buttons on the left that were a little much.

Thoughts?
Maybe some really subtle beveling?
Gleasonator
Rookie

Post by Gleasonator »

DataPath wrote:Maybe some really subtle beveling?

Too subtle?
doktor_kris
Lurker

Post by doktor_kris »

Looks great IMHO. :-)
Verdauga Greeneyes
Regular

Post by Verdauga Greeneyes »

The top horizontal bar of the b looks a bit squished to me. But I'm not sure if making the top fully horizontal would look good.. Other than that, it looks great.
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

Get rid of the halo around the letters. Makes me think I've got shit in my eyes when I stare at it. Keep the gloss, but just chop it off at the letter border.
NES NTSC palette file:

Verdauga Greeneyes
Regular

Post by Verdauga Greeneyes »

FirebrandX wrote:Get rid of the halo around the letters. Makes me think I've got shit in my eyes when I stare at it. Keep the gloss, but just chop it off at the letter border.
There's a halo around them? It's pretty much invisible with the standard forum skin, so I guess you must be using a darker one :)
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

i actually liked it a lot when it looked just like an old-school snes logo

but it's still really good work. much more of that 1337 skillz action than i've got
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
doktor_kris
Lurker

Post by doktor_kris »

Verdauga Greeneyes wrote:
FirebrandX wrote:Get rid of the halo around the letters. Makes me think I've got shit in my eyes when I stare at it. Keep the gloss, but just chop it off at the letter border.
There's a halo around them? It's pretty much invisible with the standard forum skin, so I guess you must be using a darker one :)
Probably due to whatever browser he uses. The halo(s) becomes visible when click-dragging in Opera. The logos display fine on both Opera and Safari, at least.
Gleasonator
Rookie

Post by Gleasonator »

There is no halo as far as I can tell... I didn't create a halo when I made it, and I overlayed everything I cut out with solid colors to ensure that nothing was on the borders. They're all PNGs with alpha transparency.
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

Gleasonator wrote:There is no halo as far as I can tell... I didn't create a halo when I made it, and I overlayed everything I cut out with solid colors to ensure that nothing was on the borders. They're all PNGs with alpha transparency.
You must have done it wrong because the halo is quite noticeable on the boards using a dark skin. here's a pic of how it looks from my screen:

NES NTSC palette file:

Gleasonator
Rookie

Post by Gleasonator »

FirebrandX wrote:
Gleasonator wrote:There is no halo as far as I can tell... I didn't create a halo when I made it, and I overlayed everything I cut out with solid colors to ensure that nothing was on the borders. They're all PNGs with alpha transparency.
You must have done it wrong because the halo is quite noticeable on the boards using a dark skin. here's a pic of how it looks from my screen:

Shoot... you're right, sorry. And I was an idiot and didn't save the PSD, then Photoshop froze. I tried to redo it from an older PSD, hopefully this looks close enough to the one above, just without the halo of course.

FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

Now that kicks ass! Thanks for correcting that!
NES NTSC palette file:

kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

I still prefer this one.Simple design with a lovely rounded font <3
Last edited by kick on Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
[i]Have a nice kick in da nutz[/i] @~@* c//
Gleasonator
Rookie

Post by Gleasonator »

kick wrote:I still prefer this one.Simple design with a lovely font <3
I like the newer fonts I'm using better, but I do like the idea behind that one better. It looks most like the original SNES logo.

But everyone else seems to like the newest one best, and Byuu wants all lowercase, so...
gllt
NO VOWELS >:[

Post by gllt »

In yours (Gleasonator) the top of the S hangs over the boundary of the "emulator" bar, while in the other one the top of the S is within its boundary of width.

if you get what I mean there

edit: or Im blind or the human eye sucks could be that too
Gleasonator
Rookie

Post by Gleasonator »

gllt wrote:In yours (Gleasonator) the top of the S hangs over the boundary of the "emulator" bar, while in the other one the top of the S is within its boundary of width.

if you get what I mean there

edit: or Im blind or the human eye sucks could be that too
gllt
NO VOWELS >:[

Post by gllt »

winrar
Thristian
Hazed

Post by Thristian »

Gleasonator wrote:Image
For the benefit of future generations, how difficult would it be to make a vectorised version of this, with or without the lighting effects? For example, in PDF or SVG format.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Personally I don't like the dents at the top of the b and the n. Apart from that it's good.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

Im personally opposed to visuals, I demand the logo be entirely made of tactile information!
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
Gleasonator
Rookie

Post by Gleasonator »

Thristian wrote:For the benefit of future generations, how difficult would it be to make a vectorised version of this, with or without the lighting effects? For example, in PDF or SVG format.
http://gleasonator.com/downloads/bsnes_vector.svg

Unfortunately there are two issues with this...

1. The blue button is flat on the top
2. The letters "EMULATOR" are not actually cut out of the red bar. Instead, they are white overlayed figures.

This is because I used an online conversion tool, and apparently it didn't like transparency... I removed the white background in Illustrator, however, so at least the background should be transparent. I don't know how to fix the other two problems, so if anyone knows Illustrator well, fixing these would be a great help.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

funkyass wrote:Im personally opposed to visuals, I demand the logo be entirely made of tactile information!
Smell-o-vision plz.