seeking a good graphic tablet for better digital drawing

Place to talk about all that new hardware and decaying software you have.

Moderator: General Mods

Panzer88
Inmate

seeking a good graphic tablet for better digital drawing

Post by Panzer88 »

The subject line pretty much says it all. I'm looking for a decent graphic tablet for my girlfriend, she is a pretty good artist, and is starting to do some digital art now but is kind of limited by laptop touch pads and mice.

Any suggestions?
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
gllt
NO VOWELS >:[

Post by gllt »

Wacom is the standard, but even they have problems with compatibility, so buying by brand can help with quality but not much.

Newegg has a selection available.

Also some tablets are more for signatures and stuff than drawing you know :V
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

So far I haven't had any negative experiences with Wacom products. They're all pretty much of the same professional standard even if you go for the cheap Bamboo thing they have now. Be careful with any other brands, and stay away from Trust, with their huge size tablets at sub-bamboo prices, you're definitely getting what you pay for (i.e. extreme inaccuracy, pens that require batteries unlike Wacom's, and this weird pen tip that depresses with a spring, which is supposed to pass for pressure sensitivity).
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Suggestion to move this into tech talk, where appropriate.

Holy sweet moses on a flying saucer, suggestion granted !
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

well, I was looking at tablet pcs also, but what I actually meant was just a digital drawing pad.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

Panzer88 wrote:well, I was looking at tablet pcs also, but what I actually meant was just a digital drawing pad.
erm, none of the suggestions so far have mentioned anything about tablet PCs.

that said, wacom is generally held in the highest regard.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

and everyone's suggestions remain the same.

wacom makes drawing tablets. it's their thing. they're good at it.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
powerspike
Regular

Post by powerspike »

Here's a helpful tip if you're getting a wacom tablet and are using Vista. If it freezes when the system is starting up and or fails to detect the tablet after you install the drivers make sure to remove tablet PC optional components. It's under Programs>Programs and features> turn windows features on or off. Anyway like everyone else is saying get a wacom tablet. My little bamboo fun tablet feels like drawing on real paper almost. She might want a bigger pad later on though since I know professionals prefer bigger ones.