Quicksave? (like in snes9x (btw i am dumb))

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

DeeKay

Quicksave? (like in snes9x (btw i am dumb))

Post by DeeKay »

The only thing that's put me off using ZSnes is the incredibly convenient quicksaving system of snes9x (btw i am dumb). Is there any way to quicksave in ZSnes the same way you do it as in snes9x (btw i am dumb)? Like F1 to load and Shift + F1 to save?
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Press "F3" to select slot.
Press "F2" to save to selected slot.
Press "F4" to load from selected slot.

I think you can even re-assign these keys but can't be sure of that. Read the manual.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Re: Quicksave? (like in snes9x (btw i am dumb))

Post by grinvader »

DeeKay wrote:incredibly convenient
hahahahahahaa

hahahaha hahahahahaha

haha

hahahahaha
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
DeeKay

Post by DeeKay »

AamirM wrote:Press "F3" to select slot.

I think you can even re-assign these keys but can't be sure of that. Read the manual.
Exactly, "F3 to select a save slot" instead of "shiftone". One million and one times faster, and one million and two times more convenient.

Oh, and thanks for the mature edit. Grow up, would you.
diminish

Re: Quicksave? (like in snes9x (btw i am dumb))

Post by diminish »

grinvader wrote:
DeeKay wrote:incredibly convenient
hahahahahahaa

hahahaha hahahahahaha

haha

hahahahaha
...hahahahah
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

DeeKay wrote:
AamirM wrote:Press "F3" to select slot.

Exactly, "F3 to select a save slot" instead of "shiftone". One million and one times faster, and one million and two times more convenient.

Oh, and thanks for the mature edit. Grow up, would you.
you triggered a board filter because you mispelled snes9x.

eh, at least it isn't as common as leaving one of the Ses out in ZSNES.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

I would argue that. I think that determining (ahead of time) the slot first (from where you are going to load/save) and then just pressing one key to save/load is more faster.

And quickly testing a few emulators reveals that I am right as nearly every emulator does it this way.
byuu

Post by byuu »

They're all useful in their own way. It depends on how you use them to cheat.

The one-button to save, select-your-slot method has fucked me over big-time in some games, saving over my only slot right before dieing (Viewpoint), with no way to go back. Sure you can swap slots more often, but it's very annoying (be it via popup that freezes your game, or having to cycle back and forth to get to the right slot.)

Shift+n makes it easier to use savestates as a sort-of ring buffer as you go along. But there I've screwed up and saved to / loaded from the wrong slots, or loaded when I wanted to save, quite a bit.

Seems like enough UI shortcut binding could allow both methods.

Rewind is nice for low intensity games like Super Mario, but useless on games like Dodonpachi.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

You know, the 100 quickkey request for 100 savestates is gonna be useful for a keyboard that has a little more than 100 keys. :wink:

There are better uses for wasting 10 keys (20 combinations due to the inclusion of the Shift key) to do the operation of 3 keys in ZSNES (well, technically there's 7, since you can use the arrow keys to select the save slot). It's amazing how that consumes less keys AND you can still have your 100 savestates too! I'm sure not everyone has a need for 100 savestates, you can have better implemented preventative savestate measures (that people have complained about before) that actually won't suffer from being limited to 10 savestates.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

The one-button to save, select-your-slot method has fucked me over big-time in some games, saving over my only slot right before dieing (Viewpoint), with no way to go back. Sure you can swap slots more often, but it's very annoying (be it via popup that freezes your game, or having to cycle back and forth to get to the right slot.)
And thats why ZSNES can also increment the slot position automatically upon save. ;)
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

DeeKay wrote:One million and one times faster
hahahahahahaha

hahahaha haha

keep em coming
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

byuu wrote:They're all useful in their own way. It depends on how you use them to cheat.

Shift+n makes it easier to use savestates as a sort-of ring buffer as you go along. But there I've screwed up and saved to / loaded from the wrong slots, or loaded when I wanted to save, quite a bit.

Seems like enough UI shortcut binding could allow both methods.

Rewind is nice for low intensity games like Super Mario, but useless on games like Dodonpachi.
My suggestion would be to do this:

pop up a disclaimer every time you press the state save/load buttons. this way, the disclaimer can save you from fouling up your game.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Your suggestion sucks. Quicksave must be quick. If you want confirmation checks, go in the GUI and save/load manually.

For the same reason pressing shift-whatever can turn horribly wrong if your second finger rips from the shift before you press whatever, any sort of several-key input is not a good idea. Especially when the keys pressed when you miss the combo break your current progress.
Rewind states have a tendency to follow murphy's law in that regard too, i.e. they typically happen right after you fucked up, too.

To prevent most fuckups you want the save key and the load key at least two keys apart, or in a way that's hard to confuse - F4 being the last F key of its row is pretty easy not to confuse with F2, and hitting F1 or F3 pause the action and don't break anything, letting you fix your mistake easily.
The only problems you could have with that is forgetting which is save and which is load - maybe remap them to S and L ?

Worth of note, statewhoring is extremely inconvenient with shift+key/key for save/load. Very poor control on your save timing and fuckups galore, a complete nightmare. Especially if you play with a pad.

You'd also have to remember which state you're using anytime you want to save/load instead of just once - or none at all, if you use autoincrease + start at latest save.

And I haven't yet mentionned several keyboard users bypass the infamous 3-key limitation by using ctrl alt and shift as input keys. Save state = well fuck, I pressed X too and that made me jump and stab my head on spikes and die and now the state is saved.

tl;dr:
hahahaha oh wow
haha

no
Last edited by grinvader on Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

that's a dumb idea.

when people are save state whoring, they're saving every few seconds. more often if it's an action game. a confirmation every single time would kill that.

and it's because of the every few seconds thing that people will do things like that (save in an impossible to get out of spot)

the auto increment fixes that issue. the only real suggestion might be to separate the save and load state buttons so as to minimize the wrong button thing. although, like i just said, auto-increment pretty much takes care of it.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

grinvader wrote:Quicksave must be quick.
QFT

Shift+F# is not very quick to be honest, in fact it's relatively slow and very error prone. It is relatively cumbersome if you want to access slots 5-8 (with one or both hands).

Note: This flaming is due to the lack of logic on the OP's part and frankly the arguments used for Shift+whatever has a lot more negatives than positives.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Deathlike2 wrote:
QFT

Shift+F# is not very quick to be honest, in fact it's relatively slow and very error prone. It is relatively cumbersome if you want to access slots 5-8 (with one or both hands).
Typically pinky shift + index number, left shift for 1-6, right shift for 6-0, covers everything fine if you're already right on your keyb.
If you're away from the keyb due to using a pad and having a good distance from the screen, pinky shifts are an infinite source of fuckups.
Plus letting go off the pad to quicksave is a complete liability in statewhoring.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

gllt
NO VOWELS >:[

Post by gllt »

somebody forgot "toggle me for dialog when you savestate"
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

grinvader wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:
QFT

Typically pinky shift + index number, left shift for 1-6, right shift for 6-0, covers everything fine if you're already right on your keyb.
If you're away from the keyb due to using a pad and having a good distance from the screen, pinky shifts are an infinite source of fuckups.
Plus letting go off the pad to quicksave is a complete liability in statewhoring.
If one had smaller hands, it would be even more problematic. I struggle to stretch to those recommendations.

This doesn't even consider the fact that Snes9x doesn't have a rewind system AFAIK so accidental state loading can't be rectified except by redoing everything.
diminish

Post by diminish »

Auto increment is great, it could be improved in some way if the user could delimit the number of slots to a value from <10..100> or even <2..100>.
KingMike
Rookie

Post by KingMike »

DeeKay wrote: Oh, and thanks for the mature edit. Grow up, would you.
It is a board filter that was added because the admins got tired of seeing the emu names constantly mispelled.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

diminish wrote:Auto increment is great, it could be improved in some way if the user could delimit the number of slots to a value from <10..100> or even <2..100>.
I see what you mean.

... Easy enough, I guess.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Killa B
♥ Love Freak FlonneZilla ♥

Post by Killa B »

So what exactly does it filter?

Snesx
Snes9
Nes9x
Ses9x

I hope it's one of those, or I'll actually feel dumb.

Edit: Damn, I feel dumb.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Killa B wrote:So what exactly does it filter?

Snesx
Snes9
Nes9x
Ses9x

I hope it's one of those, or I'll actually feel dumb.

Edit: Damn, I feel dumb.

SNES x9 sans whitespace, I believe.

Let's find out!
snes9x (btw i am dumb)
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

...should someone setup a FAQ for all the board filter triggers :roll:
NSRT here.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

YES!