Xbox 360 vs PS3 pricing wars

Discuss whatever insanity comes to mind. Please keep it friendly and clean though.

Moderator: General Mods

tetsuo55
Regular

Post by tetsuo55 »

@All: PlayStation pressure sensitive controllers only work if you have a convert that supports these buttons (almost none of them do).

@Byuu: I doubt a xbox360 controller is really that expensive.

Here in NL, with our massive import rights(at least 14%) and tax(19%) the wired one is 40$ and the wireless one is 50$(this includes a wireless reciever that is compatible with all xbox360 accessories)
Being in the US and all you could probably find a rebate somewhere and get it real cheap
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Here it is around 80$ iirc.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
tetsuo55
Regular

Post by tetsuo55 »

Woah RRP is actually 60$ in the states.

Amazon has it for 50$.

So the wired version should be available for 40$ somewhere.
But you can probably get a second-hand one with a broken faceplate on ebay for 5$
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

byuu wrote:I may want L1/R1 to control emulator speed
Or just use L2/R2, which is standard on any dual shock.
or if I ever get savestate support it would be nice to have a quicksave button without reaching for the keyboard.
Sounds dangerous.
Some people may also prefer an analog stick for movement over the D-pad.
Some people prefer baby seal meat.
It's really too bad Joe Sixpack is stupid enough to see an Xbox $200 (sorry, $199.99 -- big difference) price tag, and subsequently purchase three additional controllers (+$180) and a wireless adapter (+$100), thinking the system was somehow 'affordable'.
Don't forget the netplay fees, proprietary drive upgrades, and a blu-ray stand-alone. The 360 is only a value by comparison if you don't want any extras. Yet people who gasp at the PS3's shelf price spend $600+ in chunks for their 360 over a few years and don't blink. Soon, there will be printers selling for $5 and charging $50 per ink cartridge.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

FitzRoy wrote:Soon, there will be printers selling for $5 and charging $50 per ink cartridge.
...that refuse to print, even in monochrome, if ANY of the cartridges are empty... damn you, Epson...
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

FitzRoy wrote:
It's really too bad Joe Sixpack is stupid enough to see an Xbox $200 (sorry, $199.99 -- big difference) price tag, and subsequently purchase three additional controllers (+$180) and a wireless adapter (+$100), thinking the system was somehow 'affordable'.
Don't forget the netplay fees, proprietary drive upgrades, and a blu-ray stand-alone. The 360 is only a value by comparison if you don't want any extras. Yet people who gasp at the PS3's shelf price spend $600+ in chunks for their 360 over a few years and don't blink. Soon, there will be printers selling for $5 and charging $50 per ink cartridge.
i don't need a wireless adapter, and there is NO blu-ray stand-alone. also, 360 wireless controllers are 50 bucks. 65 if you get it with the play and charge kit.

have you forgotten that dualshock 3's are 65 a pop? and that they charge 25 dollars for their remote? all the while locking out any other universal remote. let's not forget that their SKU's have gotten worse over time, feature-wise, while maintaining the old price points.

peripherals are a joke on every console. sure it's nice that the ps3 has blu-ray and wi-fi built-in, but it's not like it's added value. you're paying for it.

gold membership is worth the price of admission, and anyone on an MMO pays more than double anyway, but that's never brought up.

over a few years, how much will people spend on their ps3s or wiis in chunks? somewhere around the same. you're also assuming that people only buy the arcade SKU and go from there in order to add the HDD accessory to pad the price.

why don't i just assume that everyone who buys a wii needs nunchucks and classic controllers to go with their four wiimotes, and also assume that they're going to buy a fitness pad. and the microphone, and that nintendo gun thing, and a mario kart wheel. maybe i should also assume the ethernet adapter, and a nds while i'm at it.

there are things to love and hate about every console. i hate that my 360 red ringed. i hated needing to buy a HDD after my original decided it didn't want to work properly. i hated needing to resort to craigslist to find a BC ps3. i hate the cost of a dualshock 3. i hate the wii's utter lack of quality titles and greater need for peripherals than any other console.

i hate focused "hate" for no apparent reason.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

The DS3 is 55 bucks.

BTW, I don't see why Joe Sixpack would need three extra controllers for the X360?
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Sweener, he was talking about buying a stand-alone bluray player to complement the xbox360, I see plenty of them in store catalogs.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

sweener2001 wrote:
have you forgotten that dualshock 3's are 65 a pop? and that they charge 25 dollars for their remote? all the while locking out any other universal remote.
You don't really need the remote, though I have one myself. Also, I don't believe they intentionally locked out all other universal remotes, but rather its a side effect of being bluetooth format. BTW bluetooth remotes and controllers are awesome. No more having to point at the deck to send a remote command.
NES NTSC palette file:

http://www.firebrandx.com/downloads/fbx2pal.zip
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

franpa wrote:Sweener, he was talking about buying a stand-alone bluray player to complement the xbox360, I see plenty of them in store catalogs.
my bad, there.

and my bad on the ds3 pricing, as well. i swear it was 65 last time i looked, although that walmart is known to have gay prices on occasion. like DQ IV on ds for 50. it's also been awhile since i looked.

either way, i think my point came across, pricing errors regardless.

i also think the remote lock-out was intentional. an IR receiver's absence was a conscious choice. it sells more sony remotes.
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

sweener2001 wrote:
i also think the remote lock-out was intentional. an IR receiver's absence was a conscious choice. it sells more sony remotes.
Nonsense. That doesn't prove a thing. When you want to do bluetooth format, you do it without worrying about whatever older format univeral remotes are using. They didn't do it to intentionally screw over other companies. They did it because its a superior method of using wireless controllers and remotes, and wanted it to be a key feature of the PS3 along with built-in Blu-Ray. Also, why the hell would they spend factory money to put in an IR signal and receiver they wont even use?? To "please" other companies? Sorry but I have to side with Sony on that one.
NES NTSC palette file:

http://www.firebrandx.com/downloads/fbx2pal.zip
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

you act like it's expensive. it's not.

and what other bluetooth remotes existed prior to the ps3? none. how many exist now? maybe 2. and that includes sony's remote. all other third party remotes are IR with a usb receiver. that's got to say something about the cost of IR as well. it's cheaper to include a whole other piece of plastic dongle than to just make it bluetooth.

so people with an hdtv and a rockin' audio system would probably want another remote, as the dualshock 3 is only good for the most basic tasks without bringing up that osd. and unless they like usb sticks permanently sticking out of their ps3, they're kind of pigeon-holed.

and let's not forget about the people with universal remotes, and i'm not talking the 8 dollar ones you get at walmart. logitech just released a dongle for their harmony users who can control everything EXCEPT their ps3 with their remote.

IR is the defacto standard for remotes and receivers for every other piece of equipment in your house that needs a remote. my laptop has an IR receiever for its little remote, and it also has bluetooth support. sony might have been trying to push blu-ray this gen, but the lack of an IR isn't pushing bluetooth tech at all. it's plain stupid.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Ooooh, am I missing a platform war?

I'd like to add one thing to the PS3 remote argument.

Bluetooth is fucking stupid for a basic remote. It's way too power-hungry, as well as ridiculously expensive.

I fail to see how the ability to point the remote at the ceiling fan alleviates that.

Personally, I think Sony and Microsoft BOTH blew it this generation.

Microsoft with the bullshit nickel-and-diming approach(Twenty bucks for a NiMH battery and a USB cable with a funny end? I don't think so.) and the different console classes. The hard drive should be standard. Not an option.
At least they include memcards/internal flash RAM in the drive-less bundles now. I suppose that's something.

Sony... has gone from the undisputed king to a distant third. Overnight. It's hard to score that as anything BUT a complete and unmitigated failure. They launched an overpriced system with little software, and have failed to acknowledge that they ARE overpriced, even as the economy tumbles downwards and disposable income decreases.
The dicking around with back-compatibility just made for a big mess of confusion, especially as it was one the system's main selling points.

BOTH companies are guilty of causing market confusion and frustration with different system variants, though Sony's at least provides a standard platform as far as native software is concerned. You always have a hard drive, so you don't have to ensure you can run WITHOUT it.

Honestly, I think the entire generation was launched 2 years early.
Ride the XBox and PS2 a little longer, wait until HDTVs become more commonplace, and get your hardware to the point where it's affordable and non-explosive.

Nintendo had the most to gain, and it's paid off massively for them. I was thinking it'd start showing it's age, but with everyone dragging their feet on the HDTV transition, it hasn't been as big a deal as I expected.

Sony lost damn near everything.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:I was thinking it'd start showing it's age, but with everyone dragging their feet on the DTV transition, it hasn't been as big a deal as I expected.
Fixed. Just because we are going digital doesn't necessarily mean we're also shoving HD down everyone's throat.

That said, I tend to like Nintendo's support more. They'll fix anything and everything for free, and acknowledge their problems, whereas 360 (save IIRC for the three red rings issue) and ESPECIALLY PS3 won't.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

dumbest fix, ever

it's the hdtv transition. blu-ray isn't dvd 1.5. you can fit four dvd frames (pictures) easily in one blu-ray frame. almost six.

dtv is meant for hdtv's. gil was right, you are wrong.

your "fix" implies i should plugging my 360 into our converter box and playing at SD resolutions
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

sweener2001 wrote: dtv is meant for hdtv's.
well that's ignorant if I ever saw it.

dtv was around before blu rays, blu rays are meant for 720 and 1080 televisions, dtv is meant for anyone with a digital tuner.

I was receiving digital television in 2004 via my computer, long before blu ray or myself having an HDTV myself.

digital broadcast just increases the video quality of the content you are watching.

the digital transition is to free up analog channels for other uses.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

sweener2001 wrote:dumbest fix, ever

it's the hdtv transition. blu-ray isn't dvd 1.5. you can fit four dvd frames (pictures) easily in one blu-ray frame. almost six.

dtv is meant for hdtv's. gil was right, you are wrong.

your "fix" implies i should plugging my 360 into our converter box and playing at SD resolutions
GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHh

100% wrong! DTV and HDTV are two entirely different things!
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

i wasn't aware that i said they were the same
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

HDTV is a subset of DTV. They are not entirely different things. Just like a square is a rectangle.

And dammit, there's no excuse for them to be selling TVs that aren't 720p.

Just like these past few years where they were refusing to include ATSC tuners. Inexcusable.

The ENTIRE DIGITAL TRANSITION has been fucked for as long as I can remember.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

HDTV is not a subset of DTV - the 'D' means something completely different in those two acronyms. There are most definitely methods of providing an HD analog signal (e.g. component video cables).

DTV = Digital TV, usually meaning an ATSC or QAM broadcast.
This compares to TV, generally accepted to mean an analog (e.g. NTSC) broadcast.

HDTV = High-Definition TV, displaying at a resolution >= 720p or 1080i.
This compares to SDTV (Standard-Definition, at <= 480i) and EDTV (Enhanced-Definition, generally accepted to mean 480p).
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

To be completely accurate(And a nitpicking bastard, which I am), HDTV over the airwaves broadcasts are in a digital signal.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

what I was trying to say is that if you still want to watch TV when we go digital, all you need, at the very least, is either a digital converter box or perhaps a SDTV with a digital tuner.

You didn't need to run out and buy that uberexpensive $1k or more HDTV.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

You're talking about something different from what Gil is trying to say. Sony and MS assumed people would snatch up HDTVs at a fast rate so those people can play their consoles in HD. And so far, it isn't quite happening at the moment. In other words, the HDTV marketshare, not the DTV transition.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

I only got my current lcd 1080p hdtv because the old crt sd (576i) one was dying hard.
Shit was almost as old as I am, after all. But it served well.

In memoriam

SCART RAVE PARTY
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

snkcube wrote:You're talking about something different from what Gil is trying to say. Sony and MS assumed people would snatch up HDTVs at a fast rate so those people can play their consoles in HD. And so far, it isn't quite happening at the moment. In other words, the HDTV marketshare, not the DTV transition.
Oh.

Then forget I said anything here.

DISREGARD THIS I AM BUTARRRRR
NSRT here.