ZSNES 2.0 Status

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Leave the name ZSNES?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:58 pm

Yes, it's well known.
62%
No, it no longer reflects what it can do.
38%

Total votes: 34

elitejavi
Rookie

Post by elitejavi »

Squall_Leonhart wrote:....how many people noticed this was posted April first? (second for aussie users)
ya i also noticed but...
let us dream! :lol:
greytangerine

Post by greytangerine »

crocomire wrote:Please, remove this spyware in ZTOASTER 2.0...

... I don't wanna go to jail! :shock:
What I don't understand is why theres so much obfuscation in the source code to see the messages "call horizon_get" "~81 prior to solar peak, horizontal compensation needs to be made." but its so easy to see them with upx -d & strings command. The developers should of at least XORed the array if there going to put that much effort into it :-)

But back to ZTOASTER, when all is said and done it can still serve a mean english muffin and coffee.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Code: Select all

"call horizon_get" "~81 prior to solar peak, horizontal compensation needs to be made."
And that above statement is truth. I just don't expect 99% of the people who read it have a clue what it means.

Maybe we should have a contest of people trying to figure out what the statement means.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Squall_Leonhart »

Some games used abnormal width and zsnes is compensating for that, probably used alongside full screen stretching so some games don't still have black bars on either side even when stretched ?
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/squall_leonhart69r/Final_Fantasy_8/squall_sig1.gif[/img]
[url=http://vba-m.com/]VBA-M Forum[/url], [url=http://www.ngohq.com]NGOHQ[/url]
Lazarus
Rookie

Post by Lazarus »

Nach wrote:

"call horizon_get" "~81 prior to solar peak, horizontal compensation needs to be made."
Either ZSNES uses sundials for its timekeeping now or it can emulate Golden Sun?

(81 is the amount of days left on April 1 until the next summer solstice. The horizontal compensation would correspond to the tangent shadow of the sun's southern angle on any given day at noon?)
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Lazarus wrote:
Nach wrote:

Either ZSNES uses sundials for its timekeeping now or it can emulate Golden Sun?

(81 is the amount of days left on April 1 until the next summer solstice. The horizontal compensation would correspond to the tangent shadow of the sun's southern angle on any given day at noon?)
You're very warm, no pun intended.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by h4tred »

The developers should of at least XORed the array if there going to put that much effort into it
That would be too lame. XORing is.........stupid, to say the least. :?
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

h4tred wrote:
The developers should of at least XORed the array if there going to put that much effort into it
The funny part is that he thinks I put effort into it.
All I did was write 20 funny messages, and run them through some old embed program I wrote way back when, and copy and paste, and then add one simple function to determine when to execute.

Post by greytangerine »

Nach wrote:
h4tred wrote:
The funny part is that he thinks I put effort into it.
All I did was write 20 funny messages, and run them through some old embed program I wrote way back when, and copy and paste, and then add one simple function to determine when to execute.
[strike]XORing[/strike]
made it decodable by the SPC7110 or S-DD1 chips
elitejavi
Rookie

Post by elitejavi »

Nach wrote:

And that above statement is truth. I just don't expect 99% of the people who read it have a clue what it means.

Maybe we should have a contest of people trying to figure out what the statement means.
i know what it means!...
or probably will 5 to a million years from now if i ever get to learn anything in college :?
DAMN YOU TRIGONOMETRY!!!!!!!!! DAMN YOU TO HELL!!!!!!!!!!!
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

greytangerine wrote:What I don't understand is why theres so much obfuscation in the source code to see the messages (...) but its so easy to see them with upx -d & strings
Originally that idea stemmed from a seriously wtf moment, where debugging a feature indicated heuristically that a variable was used as flag, except that variable was used in the source a grand total of one time, at declaration.

Fun times.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
clessoulis
Regular

Post by clessoulis »

How much speed has been lost. I always used zsnes for speed and being able to play the games. Never gave a shit about accuracy or any of that garbage. I'd use bsnes if I did but, I dont support sloppy unoptimized programs.

So whats the minimum specs with sound that zsnes 2.0 will run on?

Zsnes is a iconic name btw plus I dont think respect should ever be taken away from zsknights even though he hasnt had anything to do with it in ages.
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

clessoulis wrote:How much speed has been lost. I always used zsnes for speed and being able to play the games. Never gave a shit about accuracy or any of that garbage. I'd use bsnes if I did but, I dont support sloppy unoptimized programs.

So whats the minimum specs with sound that zsnes 2.0 will run on?

Zsnes is a iconic name btw plus I dont think respect should ever be taken away from zsknights even though he hasnt had anything to do with it in ages.
I'm impressed at how uninformed you are right now.
I bring the trouble.
h4tred

Post by h4tred »

And I am infuriated with rage that you don't agree.

There is a practical limit in how much accuracy you place on things. Too much accuracy, and it is pointless. Too little, and people will utterly bitch for it being hack ridden, which will be the case.

ZSNES v2 will make a very nice compromise between cycle accuracy and taking it to the level that BSNES and Hosxs64 takes. Some apps, like Nestopia, manage to mix the two just fine, and are works of programming art. Others (BSNES, MAME, Hosxs64) say a figurative "fuck you" to the notions dictated in Wirth's Law and don't give a shit about speed, and instead focus on code clarity and accuracy to the point its nauseating. And then the authors keep advertising accuracy as its only selling point.

So, what would you do:

* Work your ass off and mix cycle accuracy with speed (which is 100% possible)
* Fuck speed, and do it how MAME does it? And go against Wirth's law of software and instead focus on the supposed benefits of Moore's law?
* Try to make a compromise?

Personally, I'd take 1 and 3. 1 would be super fun to do and a challenge, 3 is nice...but 2? You got to be fucking kidding me. :roll:

So, in conclusion, I am worried about speed like clessouis (sorry for spelling) is. Even though I have a 3GHZ Core2 Duo, speed and EFFICIENCY matters to me!
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

If you ever find yourself agreeing with clessoulis about anything, you need to:
1. Stop.
2. Step back.
3. Take a deep breath.
4. Carefully re-evaluate your position. A stopped clock is right twice a day, but clessoulis isn't a stopped clock.
lordmissus
Ignorant Child

Post by lordmissus »

I do feel as though a namechange would be nice. New emulator written from scratch, new name, makes sense, no?

As for actual names, I can't offer any ideas at this time.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:If you ever find yourself agreeing with clessoulis about anything, you need to:
1. Stop.
2. Step back.
3. Take a deep breath.
4. Carefully re-evaluate your position. A stopped clock is right twice a day, but clessoulis isn't a stopped clock.
does Hammer Time fit anywhere in there?
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Hah, people are still voting.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

the topic that keeps giving
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

h4tred wrote:And I am infuriated with rage that you don't agree.
Do I really have to ruin it by spelling it out? No one is talking about accuracy here. He's asking if there are speed hits from adding things that were mentioned on April 1st. Then he bashes something he doesn't use.

Please, someone bail me out here. And stop voting.
I bring the trouble.
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

clessoulis wrote:How much speed has been lost. I always used zsnes for speed and being able to play the games.
If only zsnes actually could "play the games" without issue, but a myriad of games are unplayable and pushing 60fps on a 486 won't help you one iota.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

odditude wrote:Image
The ALL WAY makes it better.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
odditude wrote:Image
The ALL WAY makes it better.
How about mine? The location gives a hint about the sort of person who would decorate the stop sign in that way. Or not. It is right in my neighborhood, though.
elitejavi
Rookie

Post by elitejavi »

this may be a stupid question, but i have only 8 posts and if i ever become a regular here this probably won't be remembered so...

was this a joke or not?