Square Enix shuts down fan projects

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

It reminds me of that kid who was making the "2D Ocarina of Time" who faked his death because he was lying about making the game.

That said, even if it is legit, since when did that stop anybody? Leak it out anyway and claim it was an "accident".
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Glenn: I was under the impression that at one point they DID actually dare Squeenix to sue.
Though I admit that I have not followed any of the hacks in question.
Nah. Not that I'm aware of, at least. The only thing I know close to that is that they did explicitly state in their early builds that if squeenix had a problem with the project, they would take it down. I guess they were hoping if a C&D happened, it would happen early in development.

I dunno. If it's a fake, then the whole Compendium is in on it. They were doing beta testing of the pretty much completed game this month, to my knowledge. It's a real shame. I know most people wouldn't give a new fan game like this the time of day (similar to that other chrono fan project everyone slammed a while back on this forum), but it's still cool to see dedicated people complete something they're proud of. Stuff like that just doesn't happen enough on the internets.
I bring the trouble.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

I don't think the compendium is in on it, I think they're being lied to. Maybe a few choice members, but I doubt anyone other than the team who made it knows the full truth.

Read the two RHDN topics to see all the huge holes in their stories. Also contrast this fact: agent12 was in RHDN's IRC channel as *Removed*(He wasn't hiding his identity, he merely used another name. Everyone knew he was agent12) trying to get people to post this to their myspace, facebook, etc pages.

Edit: Added a bit of text to make the second paragraph a bit clearer. Also corrected agent12's name.

Edit2: realized I had gotten the name wrong here, but hell if I can recall what IRC name he used. edited in case somebody reads this and I don't want ot smear the name of a decent guy.
Last edited by I.S.T. on Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I.S.T, dwelling on this story is a waste of time... regardless of what we believe...
Awakened wrote:I've been playing the demo of Crimson Echoes and it's better than I expected. I'd say more engaging so far than the extra content in CT DS.
Gee, isn't timing grand? The smartest thing would have been to release the hack a longer period (2-3 years?) after the DS port's release.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

You're two posts away from 6666 posts, DL2.
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

DancemasterGlenn wrote:I dunno. If it's a fake, then the whole Compendium is in on it. They were doing beta testing of the pretty much completed game this month, to my knowledge.
Then isn't it likely that copies of a pretty much completed version exist somewhere out of the developer's control?
DancemasterGlenn wrote:(similar to that other chrono fan project everyone slammed a while back on this forum)
Wasn't that the same one?
nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

Post by nintendo_nerd »

badinsults wrote:It reminds me of that kid who was making the "2D Ocarina of Time" who faked his death because he was lying about making the game.
I wondered what happened to the 2D Ocarina of Time project...Yeah, but seriously, it sucks that Square Enix told them to stop what they were doing. It makes me wonder why neither Nintendo nor Hal laboratories never stopped the unofficial Mother 3 translation project from being released, and that received alot of publicity!
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson
Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

nintendo_nerd wrote:but seriously, it sucks that Square Enix told them to stop what they were doing. It makes me wonder why neither Nintendo nor Hal laboratories never stopped the unofficial Mother 3 translation project from being released, and that received alot of publicity!
well, that because SE[size=0]GA[/size] does what Nintendo don't do?

jk, anyway is there any confirmation about C&D letter from SE sides?
if there're not, i wonder if the letter itself was a sabotage attempt from 3rd party...
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

nintendo_nerd wrote:It makes me wonder why neither Nintendo nor Hal laboratories never stopped the unofficial Mother 3 translation project from being released, and that received alot of publicity!
I'm guessing Nintendo is much less of a dick when it comes to fan projects.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

Rashidi wrote:Nintendo don't do?
oh man
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
Exophase
Hazed

Post by Exophase »

nintendo_nerd wrote:It makes me wonder why neither Nintendo nor Hal laboratories never stopped the unofficial Mother 3 translation project from being released, and that received alot of publicity!
Someone affiliated with Nintendo actually did send out an e-mail, the day before it was scheduled to be released, no less, asking for the Mother 3 translation team to reconsider. It wasn't a C&D though, it was more of a lengthy personal request that didn't directly represent Nintendo. With all of the negative response Nintendo got from fans about not releasing the game I don't think the result of them shutting this down would have been very good.

This was a little under wraps, hopefully it's okay that I revealed it..

I also think that this scenario sounds strange. Not really unprecedented, but that's all the more reason why people would believe it. If it was really near completion then I highly doubt that we wouldn't see it getting leaked - I normally wouldn't betray someone's trust but with something of this magnitude I'd have a hard time keeping it to myself forever.
meteorcross

Post by meteorcross »

byuu wrote:The C&D seems pretty fake to me. A convenient excuse to walk away from a project you don't want to finish. I'd really like to see someone contact SE to verify that letter's authenticity.

But even if it was real, C&D or not, if I worked on something for five years, you bet your sweet ass I'd be releasing the work anyway. They can sue and put a fan in jail, and collect maybe $5k from seizing all my assets. Great PR move there, which will net you absolutely nothing as a business.

Even smarter would be to not make it easy to get your real name and address. Eg register with domainsbyproxy, a cash credit card and a fake persona. Upload the final release to megaupload via Tor, and let the Streisand effect take care of distribution.
The phone number of SE Legal Department is shown at the bottom of the letter... It's easy to check. A few people have called them and confirmed its authenticity.
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

Johan_H wrote:Wasn't that the same one?
Nah, it was that other one another team made that was specifically about Magus. Oh yeah, Prophet's Guile. Which got taken down along with all other fan projects when this C&D came through.

Like I said, it seems like if it is a fake, everyone is losing out... especially with all related projects now being scared underground. I don't doubt that beta copies exist out there, but everyone is probably too scared to consider doing anything with them.

I dunno. I'm being an optimist in this situation. I don't have much reason to be, besides having at one point been a semi-active member in the Compendium. I'd like to believe there isn't anything they're keeping from us. It's just the way I am.
I bring the trouble.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

nintendo_nerd wrote:
badinsults wrote:It reminds me of that kid who was making the "2D Ocarina of Time" who faked his death because he was lying about making the game.
I wondered what happened to the 2D Ocarina of Time project...Yeah, but seriously, it sucks that Square Enix told them to stop what they were doing. It makes me wonder why neither Nintendo nor Hal laboratories never stopped the unofficial Mother 3 translation project from being released, and that received alot of publicity!
Presumably because
A. Nintendo didn't know, or
B. Nintendo has no trademark on Mother in the US, and thus cared a lot less(given their well-known pro-emulation stance, I find it hard to believe they knew and didn't care).
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

meteorcross wrote:
byuu wrote:The C&D seems pretty fake to me. A convenient excuse to walk away from a project you don't want to finish. I'd really like to see someone contact SE to verify that letter's authenticity.

But even if it was real, C&D or not, if I worked on something for five years, you bet your sweet ass I'd be releasing the work anyway. They can sue and put a fan in jail, and collect maybe $5k from seizing all my assets. Great PR move there, which will net you absolutely nothing as a business.

Even smarter would be to not make it easy to get your real name and address. Eg register with domainsbyproxy, a cash credit card and a fake persona. Upload the final release to megaupload via Tor, and let the Streisand effect take care of distribution.
The phone number of SE Legal Department is shown at the bottom of the letter... It's easy to check. A few people have called them and confirmed its authenticity.
No. That's just the general company line for Square-Enix. It has nothing to do with the legal department. You can't talk to anyone legal from that number for direct confirmation. No one outside the compendium has confirmed anything. I offered to do so, but no one there would provide me with a name and contact information of a person that could confirm. They can't even give the any names for anyone they spoke to at all. The e-mail given bounces too.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
meteorcross

Post by meteorcross »

The legal departement talks to the CE developers only. Regardless, the number that was provided to everyone, at the bottom of the letter, is for Square Enix and the persons that answer the calls confirm that they sent the letter.

You're right that no one outside the Compendium has bothered calling that phone number though. Probably laziness.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

meteorcross wrote:The legal departement talks to the CE developers only. Regardless, the number that was provided to everyone, at the bottom of the letter, is for Square Enix and the persons that answer the calls confirm that they sent the letter.

You're right that no one outside the Compendium has bothered calling that phone number though. Probably laziness.
What do you mean no one has bothered to call that number. NC did! Did you read the RHDN links?
*Picard facepalm removed on the request of moderator*

Not only that, but "The legal department talks to the CE developers only"?

That makes no sense whatsoever. They'd at least say "This is the Square-Enix legal department. Currently, we are not accepting phone calls from the public except in an unusual case," or something like that.
Last edited by I.S.T. on Fri May 15, 2009 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Hey I.S.T., mind shrinking that fatpalm somewhat ? i get bad mojo from it, and you wouldn't like it when i'm badmojoed.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Done.
byuu

Post by byuu »

Nightcrawler wrote:They can't even give the any names for anyone they spoke to at all. The e-mail given bounces too.
Hmm ... try: DMCA@square-enix-usa.com

For better luck, you may try ::ahem:: bending the truth a bit and claim that you are an authorized representative of CE, and will interpret a lack of response as indicative that they did not send the notice at all (ergo you will assume permission to release any and all works publicly.)

https://secure.playonline.com/supportus ... 1soft.html
Interim Designation of Agent to Receive Notifications of Claimed Infringement, pursuant to 17 U.S.C. 512 (c): Address: Square Enix, Inc., 999 N. Sepulveda Blvd., 3RD Floor, El Segundo, CA 90245. Name of Agent Designated to Receive Notification of Claimed Infringement: General Counsel. Address of Designated Agent to which Notification Should be Sent: Square Enix, Inc., 999 N. Sepulveda Blvd., 3rd Floor, El Segundo, CA 90245. Telephone Number of Designated Agent: (310) 846-0400. Facsimile Number of Designated Agent: (310) 321-6095. Email Address of Designated Agent: DMCA@square-enix-usa.com. This email address is intended solely for the receipt of legal "Notifications of Claimed Infringement" under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998, as codified in 17 U.S.C. 512. It is not intended for general inquiries and permission requests concerning the use of SEI content.
And yes, those two numbers are the main phone and fax numbers of SE.
casualsax3
Veteran

Post by casualsax3 »

Looks like this was just leaked as a patched smc. Checking it out now.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

casualsax3 wrote:Looks like this was just leaked as a patched smc. Checking it out now.
Leaked. My. Ass.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

They've opened up a Pandora's Box (also a future FF6 hack, but eh, whatever) that they better be ready for. The idiot responsible will probably take most of the legal fallout.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

I.S.T. wrote:Leaked. My. Ass.
Ass leaks are no little issue.

Consult your doctor as soon as possible.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Imagine the drugs you can share with the world.... :P