Wii will not connect to wireless router

Feel free to discuss anything gaming related.

Moderator: General Mods

nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

Wii will not connect to wireless router

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Okay, so, in the past, I've used WiiConnect 24, right? In fact, I haven't used it since last year (I don't update since Nintendo won't release SNES games worth downloading) and I don't even have version 3.3U (I have the NTSC model). I've been using HCB for a while, too, but I only have a 2GB SD card (and want to get a 8GB plus). So, in order for me to use a SDHC card is to update to system 4.0, and to do that, I must turn on the internet connection in the system settings. I did just that (and I've done it a few times last month when I hacked my sister's boyfriend's wii), and well, I can only find an access point about 1 out of every 4 times. So, when I do find an access point, I enter the password and I then save the settings and it almost finishes the connection test. Ah, but then it tells me "could not connect to the internet...blah-blah-blah". This has happened after trying at least ten times. I've connected numerous times in the with the same D-link router and never had an issue. Why it's deciding not to connect now, I have no idea. None of the settings were changed. Heck, although somewhat off topic, I borrowed an Xbox 360 and that used to connect to Xbox Live up until a month ago, but that too stopped connecting to the wireless router. This is really weird and I don't think my router is dying, but, who knows? Any advice or insight as to why this is happening.
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson
whicker
Trooper

Post by whicker »

somebody else is using the same wireless frequency.

tried power cycling the router and internet connection modem? do that first.
PHoNyMiKe
Retrosexual

Post by PHoNyMiKe »

disable the security settings in the router while you do your mod, or download the offline files. don't worry, the hackers have better things to do than to get on your pathetic network. disable that shit, try to connect. doesn't work? move the wii closer, but not closer than you can reach with a short cord, say five feet away. still not working? your wii is pry fucked up, get a usb hard wire adapter that's wii compatible. still not working? go kill yourself.

p.s. your sister is a slut.

p.p.s. you can usually get an 8GB sd card from radio shack for $20.

p.p.p.s. oops
[url=http://www.alexchiu.com/affiliates/clickthru.cgi?id=phonymike]ultimate immortality[/url]
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/image,zsnes,white,purple.png[/img][/url]
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

IIRC, you don't need to update your Wii to use SDHC in homebrew. Heck, I think SDHC support was done in homebrew way before Nintendo made the 4.0 update.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

i love phonymike in many not homoerotic ways
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

snkcube wrote:IIRC, you don't need to update your Wii to use SDHC in homebrew. Heck, I think SDHC support was done in homebrew way before Nintendo made the 4.0 update.
Yeah, all the HBC programs I care about (Snes9xGX, FceuGC, Genesis Plus, ScummVM, MPlayer CE, etc) all have SDHC card support, so, I don't need to update the wii after all. But still, being unable to connect worries me, but not to the point of screaming. Funny how the same 8GB SDHC card is $24.99 at Radioshack when BestBuy charges 20 dollars more...gee, and I thought BestBuy was supposed to have "low" prices. Whatever. 8GB should be sufficient for my needs.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

grinvader wrote:i love phonymike in many not homoerotic ways
And a few homoerotic ones too, right?
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

nintendo_nerd wrote:
snkcube wrote:IIRC, you don't need to update your Wii to use SDHC in homebrew. Heck, I think SDHC support was done in homebrew way before Nintendo made the 4.0 update.
Yeah, all the HBC programs I care about (Snes9xGX, FceuGC, Genesis Plus, ScummVM, MPlayer CE, etc) all have SDHC card support, so, I don't need to update the wii after all. But still, being unable to connect worries me, but not to the point of screaming. Funny how the same 8GB SDHC card is $24.99 at Radioshack when BestBuy charges 20 dollars more...gee, and I thought BestBuy was supposed to have "low" prices. Whatever. 8GB should be sufficient for my needs.
You can find cheaper ones on Newegg.
gllt
NO VOWELS >:[

Post by gllt »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
And a few homoerotic ones to the left to the left?
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

given the error code, a google search can help you figure out which wii setting needs to be adjusted. i believe it was something in the security type the wii was choosing being wrong.

my wii did something similar, although i never had issues finding my network.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

It does find the network one out of every four times I look for an access point. I did enter the correct password and it ran a test connection, but, when it's almost done, it fails and gives me the could not connect error. If it only finds the connection 20-25% of the time, then there's a major problem.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

From personal experience, I always had trouble with D-link routers. They just don't work whenever I set it up. Netgear and Linksys routers are the ones I don't have trouble with though.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Does your router have Access Control and is it enabled? try disabling it if you have it or set your Wifi router to use a different signal channel (try all channel settings).
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
powerspike
Regular

Post by powerspike »

For my D-Link router I have it setup with super-G mode disabled (it sucks ass and causes problems anyway with other equipment) and am running it with WPA personal for security. It seems to work fine with all my wi-fi equipment in the house. Xbox 360, Wii, a desktop computer, and a laptop. My only wired system is the laptop in my room because it's too far away from the base unit. Granted I'd probably never buy another D-Link product again since my brother owns the exact same one and it can't even keep a connection.
nintendo_nerd

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Yeah, I just saw several negative reviews on newegg.com for D-link routers in general whereas Netgear seems to have an average of 4 1/2 to 5 stars on average.....*sigh*. I only had this router maybe for a year or so; maybe I'll go with a Netgear.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

two options: one - your router is dying (or might just need a reboot - when's the last time you power cycled it?); two - in the past year, more interference-causing stuff has moved into the area, causing wifi signals in general to go to hell. baby monitors, 2.4ghz cordless phones, and constantly-used microwaves (if you're in a city and live over a restaurant) are the bane of wireless signals everywhere.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
And a few homoerotic ones too, right?

"lolwut"
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

odditude wrote:constantly-used microwaves
Should be shielded properly, unless they're really old, then they may be leaking.

You may try running something like Kismet to see what channels nearby WiFi routers may be using, so you can switch to a less occupied part of the spectrum. (Yeah, channel 1, channel 6, or channel 11. Not much choice, is there?)